GIAC Hammer remap for S3

• Thread starter Deleted member 22276
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22276

Got my car booked in for Saturday morning at Regal Autosport in Southampton.

Going for the 330bhp map, hope nothing goes pop! I'll let you all know how I get on :)

330bhp!
Wow.
Is that just a remap? or anything else?

Alot of power... Alot of fun :icon_thumright:

S3 LTN said:
330bhp!
Wow.
Is that just a remap? or anything else?

Alot of power... Alot of fun :icon_thumright:
Just a remap, its the new hammer map from GIAC (The previous GIAC remap was 310bhp), to be honest I'd be supprised if it was actually 330 on a rolling road, I'm guessing it'll be closer to 320.

phantom said:
Good man , write a good review!

p

I've got a trip from Guildford to Southampton @ 261bhp and a trip back @ 330bhp to compair and contrast! :)

Had the 330 map put on a week ago saturday.

You will not be disappointed.

The new map is buisiness as usual, very smooth with no coughs or hiccups throughout the rev range. Performance wise in comparison to the 310 map its definetly quicker with the car feeling more eager, a bit like when you've ditched your passenger and took off on your own, not a massive difference but definetly there.

I plan to wait until after March 8th RR day at Awesome, get some figures then post up a comprehensive review when I've lived with it a bit longer.

Be careful on that drive home, woo hoo :)

siu00adg said:
I've got a trip from Guildford to Southampton @ 261bhp and a trip back @ 330bhp to compair and contrast! :)

Sounds great. When are you doing it?
Can I swing by and have a look too?

boggysv said:
Sounds great. When are you doing it?
Can I swing by and have a look too?

Sure why not. I'll prolly leave my gaff at 9 so I'll get there around 10:00-10:30.

Had the GIAC hammer map for a couple of months now with no problems at all, just go for it, you will not be disappointed

Do you guys think it's a good idea to remap my s3 even if i do about 30 000miles a year. All my mates think i'm stupid for even thinking about it but they could all just be jealous about the 330bhp :)

must be mostly motorway miles anyway, so cant see a problem with that.

I think any remap is only really going to have an impact on the total lifespan of the engine, and not have any immediate (first few years)effects

consilio said:
must be mostly motorway miles anyway, so cant see a problem with that.

I think any remap is only really going to have an impact on the total lifespan of the engine, and not have any immediate (first few years)effects

Well that kind of worries me because i am planning to keep the car for 3years and i do tend to drive my cars hard just about all the time. "Drive it like you stole it" is my motto. :jump:

richardn said:
Do you guys think it's a good idea to remap my s3 even if i do about 30 000miles a year. All my mates think i'm stupid for even thinking about it but they could all just be jealous about the 330bhp :)

I probably do more than 30,000 a year and i have it, i dont drive like a nutter all the time though, i think if you "drive it like you stole it" all the time on the standard ECU your bound to have problems

Johnnyb said:
I probably do more than 30,000 a year and i have it, i dont drive like a nutter all the time though, i think if you "drive it like you stole it" all the time on the standard ECU your bound to have problems

I guess you're right... I'm going to have to try and slow it down a bit. Just because i have it doesn't mean i have to use it. It's hard though :)

It sounds stupid but i actually drive slower now i have the map, its just nice to know it is there when you need it, it still puts a smile on my face

siu00adg said:
Got my car booked in for Saturday morning at Regal Autosport in Southampton.

Going for the 330bhp map, hope nothing goes pop! I'll let you all know how I get on :)

If I pop down at the same time do you think they would accidently do mine as well (free of course)
Good luck with it, will be interested in how it performs and how much it will cost :icon_thumright:

Do they perform a before/after dyno test?

simon-s3 said:
do they still do the 310 map ?

Yes 310bhp would still be available, 330 is the updated version and considered ok with no additional hardware. Anyone planning to add for example a Miltek or induction kit would be able to have a custom map written by special arrangement as all maps are written by Garret the owner of GIAC in the states.

dipstic said:
If I pop down at the same time do you think they would accidently do mine as well (free of course)
Good luck with it, will be interested in how it performs and how much it will cost :icon_thumright:

Do they perform a before/after dyno test?

I'll let you know how it goes and how much it ends up costing.

Doubt they'll do a dyno at all.

Spin140 said:
Yes 310bhp would still be available, 330 is the updated version and considered ok with no additional hardware. Anyone planning to add for example a Miltek or induction kit would be able to have a custom map written by special arrangement as all maps are written by Garret the owner of GIAC in the states.

I was considering doing the full turbo back miltek, CAI, etc, etc and getting it custom mapped by custom code, but this 330 map sounds like it'll be quick enough and I wont have to worry about the warranty so much.

I've done around 1000 miles on the GIAC 330 map, not a lot as unfortunately i do a lot of urban driving. That said i look for any excuse to go for a good run and have enjoyed so far every minute of the extra power ........ it can be adictive! As much as a good blast puts a smile on my face even urban the engine i find is smooth and effortless. I find 6th gear quite impressive, when the turbo is spooled up the car still thrusts forward as if in 5th gear. I keep meaning to plug the flash loader in and put it back to stock just for a comparisson run but haven't got round to it yet ........ keep telling myself next time. Overall though i'm very pleased with the map.

Ok so, I had it done.

Bad stuff first:

On the way back I noticed a flat spot at around 6500 rpm, which occationally flashed the engine management light, after a while I managed to get the engine management light stuck on :sorry:

I contacted Chris at Regal Autosport (who has been very helpful), he offered to look at the car today but alas I was in Guildford by then, so he's taking a look next Sat. He suspects a dead O2 sensor, so nothing terrible, I hope!

The Good:

OH MY GOD! the car flys! :rockwoot: I'll post a full review once I get the O2 sensor replaced (if that is in fact the issue) and I can really thrash the pants off it!

You had some fault/warning codes (cant remember which ones) on the car when we first plugged vag-com in, too bad I didnt save the report. If you want, I can come do a scan for you and you can post the results here.

Anyways, what's your email?

Hope it gets sorted okay
Hence my question about dyno/check before and after
I think I would like a vag com fault check before and after as well

phantom said:
Ohhhhh i bet that took the shine off it a bit for you mate?

p

Yeah, not the end of the world though. Worst case scenario would be mapping back to completly stock and getting what ever is wrong fixed under warranty. I really hope it is just the O2 sensor though!

boggysv said:
You had some fault/warning codes (cant remember which ones) on the car when we first plugged vag-com in, too bad I didnt save the report. If you want, I can come do a scan for you and you can post the results here.

Anyways, what's your email?

Ah ******, hindsight!

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldnt want to put you out, Chris said he'd have a look anyway.

sent you my email.

dipstic said:
Hope it gets sorted okay
Hence my question about dyno/check before and after
I think I would like a vag com fault check before and after as well

Thanks,

Yeah, if I ever get this sort of thing done in the future I will demand a diagnostic check before and after the map, lesson learned!

Did you have any faults show up before you got it mapped or was it driving perfectly?

Could the map have caused the fault?

Thats not good - Slightly tarnished what should have been a good day.

Surely they code read it first???

julians said:
Did you have any faults show up before you got it mapped or was it driving perfectly?

Could the map have caused the fault?

Never had a single problem before, but I was driving pretty hard on the way home! Chris recons the O2 sensor got too hot, but we will see.

Oli.H said:
Thats not good - Slightly tarnished what should have been a good day.

Surely they code read it first???

Indeed.

Just had a a quick look, seems like the hammer maps requests 18psi of boost while nearing redline...must be fun!

boggysv said:
Just had a a quick look, seems like the hammer maps requests 18psi of boost while nearing redline...must be fun!

:)

siu00adg said:
Chris recons the O2 sensor got too hot, but we will see.
wont this then become an ongoing problem?

What was the process for the remap? Was it just a case of loading the performance map or did they do any data logging beforehand?

Sounds like the map be having a few teething troubles.

Are they replacing the O2 sensor for free?

If it were me, I'd be asking for them to replace the sensor for free, put the car back to standard and give me a full refund or go for the (apparently) well proven ~310bhp map, until this one was proven one way or the other.