Haldex Quattro Controller: Advice Please!!

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Hello all.... I need a little technical advice from you very knowledgeable people:

I have recently been reading up on replacing the Haldex Quattro controller in my A3 2.0T Quattro S-line. For those of you who don't know (as i understand it - correct me if i'm wrong!!)...
A3's, TT's and Golf R32's/4motions use the Haldex form of Quattro. This system feeds most of the power (70-80%) to the front wheels (basically to save power/fuel at low speed and when cruising). When the rear wheels begin to slip under cornering or acceleration the Haldex system throws more power to the back wheels.
This is different to the A4, A5, A6, A8 (and R8?) which employ the Torsen Quattro system. This is a much more pure form of 4WD and has an even distribution of power to front and back wheels at all times.

SO.... I understand that by simply changing the Haldex unit which comes in an A3 as stock, you can dramatically improve the 4WD performance of the car and make it handle like a 'proper' quattro. The improved Haldex system puts more drive to the rear at all times and throws additional power to the rear much more readily.

My question is...where's the best place to get an upgraded Haldex unit for an 8P A3? Am i right in saying they're approx £550 - £600 + fitting?
As you are only replacing the existing Haldex part for a new one, will it affect the warranty on the car??
Has anyone already done this modification? Are there any potential pit falls i need to watch out for? Obviously tyre wear and fuel economy will suffer but the handling of the car should be superb compared to the stock 4WD setup.

Any feedback would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance guys.

Paul.

I will start by saying that I have not done this mod yet. I also do not know the best place for you to procure it in Europe, I would imagine there would be quite a few outfitters to choose from.

As far as warranty is concerned...it is not a factory part but it is OEM. It is generally referred to as the HPP(Haldex Performance Part).

I have only seen great reviews of this modification. Most believe it absolutely transforms the vehicles they drive.

The great thing about the Gen2 HPP, which is what we have on our cars, it there is the ability to switch between 3 programs. Stock, sport and race. Each setting makes the differential react a little more aggressively to slip.

This thread on Fortitude discusses the Gen2 HPP at length. There are quite a few other threads about it. I would imagine more of the MKV R32 people would have done this mod so you may want to check out their forums if you have further questions.

Cheers for that. I did find a few old threads on here discussing it and it seems like a must have purchase if you've got Quattro. Really transforms the A3 from a posh golf to a proper quattro which can't be a bad thing and with it's short wheel base should make the cars handling rock solid.
I've found websites selling the controller for £550 which doesn't seem too bad.