Audi Clear Coat Protection? £200? Worth it?

N8

Kowalski Details
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys,

Abit of advice from people who know really. Pick my car up this saturday dealer has offered me the audi clear coat scotchguard whatever you call it for £200, just wondering if its worth it?

I'm gonna start learning to detail soon anyway, as it will be part of a new business venture for myself. But my start up equipment is around £600 so just wondering if it was worth it?

When I was last at the audi garage, they had 2 RS4s in the showroom, one saloon, one cab, and they seriously looked like Clark (Polished Bliss) had detailed them, they were :hubbahubba: , paint was smooth and silky, not a single swirl mark in sight and I could see myself fully in the paintwork, the reflection was amazing!!

Just want your advice though. So my options are get them to do it, or have ago in a few months time myself to do it!

Opinions welcome

Oh here's pics of the car on a very frosty morning in Manchester....

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

N8. :hi:

No it's not worth it. You can get some good 3rd party products that will do the same job for a lot less money. If you really do want supagard you can buy it on ebay for about £5-10 for one of the paintwork sponge things. As long as you make sure that the car is cleaned really well and possibly gone over with a clay bar you will do just as good a job as the audi guys.

rich164h said:
No it's not worth it. You can get some good 3rd party products that will do the same job for a lot less money. If you really do want supagard you can buy it on ebay for about £5-10 for one of the paintwork sponge things. As long as you make sure that the car is cleaned really well and possibly gone over with a clay bar you will do just as good a job as the audi guys.

Agree with the above

Its a total rip off

In the past I have enquired about this, I got talking to one of the boys at the dealers (peugeot) basically they just polish the car. I bought the same kit they use from him for cash (think it was £20 but that was prob 6 years ago) like rich said you can get for £5- £10. You get a fancy sponge pad for applying then just polish as with normal products. Also in the box was a can of stuff for the interior. You just spray it on and it gives a protection, not sure how this works with leather.

If you want you can give me the £200 and ill do the same job

Heres the same stuff
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/supagard-protection-new-valeter-pack_W0QQitemZ130199712188QQihZ003QQcategoryZ72201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd say that if you're wanting to get into detailing then a brand new car is a good place to start. And so long as you don't go straight at it with a mechanical polisher without knowing what you're doing you won't do any serious damage. The last thing you need is a couple of Audi monkeys going at it first. Your normal PDI will probably be bad enough.

mattandrew said:
Also in the box was a can of stuff for the interior. You just spray it on and it gives a protection, not sure how this works with leather.

Leather or fabric it will wear off wherever you come into contact with it. Trust me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

DONT DO IT

its rubbish..................you want to spend a couple of hundred on getting it looking tip top - pay a detailer to prep it.

failing that - invest in some decent products yourself and get reading up on detailing world.

:icon_thumright:

richjohnhughes said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

DONT DO IT

its rubbish..................you want to spend a couple of hundred on getting it looking tip top - pay a detailer to prep it.

failing that - invest in some decent products yourself and get reading up on detailing world.

:icon_thumright:

Already on there and I have been reading, Ta.

the finish some of the pro's get is crazy - worth every penny imo.

if you want to be mad about it - dont even let them prep the car - do it yourself.

mine has never been washed by a car wash or a living soul apart from me.

never never, let Audi wash it when they have it in for a service - some grease monkey with a dirty old rag rubbing ya paint.

Or have a new car detail from polished bliss or other?

EDIT Too late, i was trying to find a clicky for a detailer in Manchester/Cheshire area!:icon_thumright:

p

My advice for now would be to buy a good car wash kit including Sonus der wunder drying towels, some form of sealant like Carlack and put a couple of layers of Collinite wax on top of it. If you spent £100 on that lot you've still saved money and its protected and when you can afford to buy it you can expand your cleaning stuff with wheel sealants, more expensive waxes etc. if that takes your fancy.

on another note, new motor looks very nice :icon_thumright:

jmohide said:
on another note, new motor looks very nice :icon_thumright:

Just about to post that - at least you can see it in the flesh now mate - looks great.

Thanks guys. Your all a helpful and happy bunch. Media Adapter & TV in Motionis booked in for 7th March with craig and tints are on the 19th March. Flat bottom wheel is going in either the day I pick it up or day after, don't worry posts will follow!

N8KOW said:
paint was smooth and silky, not a single swirl mark in sight and I could see myself fully in the paintwork, the reflection was amazing!!

A Megs clay kit will get you a finish like that for £15 and an afternoons work. You'd be surprised how much crap comes off a new car with a clay bar.

Never one to go with the flow, I had the Supageard treatment and would say it was worth it. I'm not into paying someone £500 to clean a brand new car, but the £200 was just about bearable. Car was swirl free and seemed to hold the shine for at least 6 months.

That said, if you want to get into detailing, I guess you might as well start with your own car.