HIDs again, sorry

typertony

Reaction score
Hi

I tried fitting a set of bosch hids to my mums a3 yesterday.

Basically to cut a long story short, they brought up the headlamp error message on the dash and now the wipers dont work :crying:

I asked the seller of the hids if they would be ok with a 54 audi a3 and they told me that they would be fine.

Im gonna talk to audi about the wipers tomorrow and get my money back for the hids.

Can anyone suggest some hids that they have and know to work fine with the audi ecu?

many thanks
tony

Sorry to tell you this, but, you will need a new wiper motor. This is a common issue on the A3 8P, because the HIDs take a lot of current on start up.

You can add capacitors in the wire to make them work, but in the end the wiper motor always fails, sooner or later. I suggest you put the new motor and forget about the HIDs.....I tried using a relay to get the power from the battery and try to fool the ecu with resistors to simulate load but it just did not work....

Hope this helps!

Or you could alter the Vag-com commands to tell your car you've got HID's, Souldn't be any problems this way

the startup current isnt the cause of the motor controller blowing - the oem hids take just as much current as any other ballast hid system.

the vag-com settings can only turn off the cold lamp warning - that is the system tells you the lamp is blown (due to high resistance or no current passing) when switched off - you cant disable the hot lamp warning.

the vag-com settings to tell the car you have hids installed stops the car from reducing the voltage to the headlamps - by default it reduces the bulb brightness/voltage and this stops some hid kits igniting or they turn off when you flash the high beam if the voltage isnt sufficient. a good quality ballast such as german or japanese will keep the lights on at lower voltages and not cause the interference which seems to damage the motor wiper controller.

a capacitor across the hid feed isnt going to remove or reduce the interference (but it may stop the lights dropping out with mainbeam flashing) but a proper choke/capacitor filter will do so - its difficult to know whats inside the 'can error corrector' devices cos they are always sealed up.

the mtek japan kits dont seem to blow the wipers!

Seems like a lot of information to take in:faint:

So has anyone used the Mtek kit for a while without problems?

yes i have - it seems to work fine, but i now have oem bixenon lights instead.