TDI 140 and 170 owners please post your MPG

dalepearson

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

last year I got rid of my A3 2.0TFSI DSG to get a Lotus Elise for the weekend and a Diesel Toyota Auris for day to day to save some ££.

Well the Auris is terrible, its the 2.2l T180 and I only get low 30MPG, best I have seen in the year I have had it is 36MPG.

So I am thinking of going back to a car I liked the look of, but the diesel version.

So could I please ask you kind 140 and 170 owners to post the following:

Engine - 140 or 170
Average MPG -
Normal amount of miles per tank -

Thanks in advance.

dalepearson said:
Hiya guys,

last year I got rid of my A3 2.0TFSI DSG to get a Lotus Elise for the weekend and a Diesel Toyota Auris for day to day to save some ££.

Well the Auris is terrible, its the 2.2l T180 and I only get low 30MPG, best I have seen in the year I have had it is 36MPG.

So I am thinking of going back to a car I liked the look of, but the diesel version.

So could I please ask you kind 140 and 170 owners to post the following:

Engine - 140 or 170
Average MPG -
Normal amount of miles per tank -

Thanks in advance.

Get a 170 Quattro mate. Cut out the Jap Crap. 35-40 is easily achievable

Engine 170
Average mpg 42.3 on DIS 2
Usually 500-525 per tank although I don't run car on air not a good idea with a diesel would probably go to 540 if you wanted to chance it.

140=40mpg on the small journeys stoppin an startin,on the motorway its about 47mpg, hope that helps

Pfffft forget the quattro especially if you are wanting MPG!

I have a 140PD Sport with the extra weight of 19" rims and a sound system plus my heavy *** - i return MPG figures varying from 43-52mph depending on driving etc...

My car is however remapped to 175bhp and 306lb/ft torque - more that the 170PD and I drove 70 miles this morning from my girlfriends and returned MPG of 49.6

Personally, I'd go for a 140PD S'Line because it will be cheaper than the 170PD and there are plenty of companies that will remap it to 170bhp which will be a cheaper option anyway

All you guys with standard cars should check your deisel filters and air filters - some of the mpg figures on this site are terrible!

i have a 170 DSG 07 from new - 19,500 mile @ 41 mpg thats about 450 miles per tank.

Oh and i refuelled this morning - i got 510miles to the tank

i get the 50's on the motorway,but im guna check my filters

My previous A3 3-door was a 140 and gave me around 48mpg

My current A3 Sportback is a 170 and gives me around 43mpg

Current done 13.5k miles

Engine - 140 (remapped to 'apparently' 185bhp)
Average MPG - (49.8 DIS) - mix motorway/city commute
Normal amount of miles per tank - getting 48.5mpg when checked over a tank (forget how many miles the tank did)

Engine - 140 (with Bluefin - still being run in with 3900 miles on the clock)
Average MPG - According to DIS2 about 45mpg
Normal amount of miles per tank - around 500 miles

Thanks for so many replying its really appreciated guys.

Good to see people getting late 40's

All time average on DIS for my 140 is just shy of 48mpg after 30k.

Incidentally, what mpg does your Elise give? Low weight and smallish engine must be good - I recall the govt. mpg was in the mid-30s.

I get about 38 - 40MPG from the Elise, and it doesnt seem to matter to much how much stick you give it.

170 front wheel drive
42MPG
500 miles to a tank

and thats not doing any particularly long journeys either.

43.2 at the moment with 2k on the clock. That's tank to tank not DIS. First tankfull was 48 but that was September. Cold weather has a significant effect.

140 & 170 fuel tanks are both the same size according to the Audi site

With the ever rising fuel prices (especially for us Oil Burners), I am finding that not "hammering it" down the motorways and just going a little more slowly in 6th Gear doing about 2,000 revs, I'm getting about 50 mpg on average which I'm very impressed with. Because when I first got my A3 I was getting 40 mpg on average.... Yes.... you can tell I'm getting older.

Driving average 55 mph - 60 mph I get up to 58mpg, a few times Iv got 60+ (honestly) a 15 mile journey to work.

average 50 - 55mpg usually

remapped 140bhp to 175bhp 19"s

Hector8 said:
Driving average 55 mph - 60 mph I get up to 58mpg, a few times Iv got 60+ (honestly) a 15 mile journey to work.

average 50 - 55mpg usually

remapped 140bhp to 175bhp 19"s

:o.k: That's pretty good! Mine was a 100 mile round trip to a work site, from Surrey to Sussex, mostly M25 and M23 driving.

2.0 TDI 140 - 29K miles

Superb 193bhp rolling roaded remap by Chipped UK.:respekt:

I don't drive to work so when I do go out in my car I drive enthusiastically!!

I reset the DIS after the remap (4 months ago) and it now reads 47.9mpg average.

Worst I've manages is 44mpg. On a dull A14 run I can get mid-50's easily if I stick to 70mph.

Apart from the extra power, the remap has improved MPG by 2-3 MPG (if you believe the DIS).

140 TDI

gets hammered everywhere - won't return less than 46 mpg

have often seen 55 mpg when cruise set at 80mph

I've got a 170TDI Quattro. Awfull mpg of 34 driven carefully (I hope because it only has 700 miles on the clock!).
My 330cd BMW did 40 after a remap and my mother's 3.0i petrol Z4 gets 32.

I never realised that the 4x4 took such a toll on the TDI's fuel economy. My old S3 used to get 32mpg

I wasnt thinking of a Quattro, but certainly sounds it eats into the MPG.

Interesting to read such a variance on MPG on the 170.

dalepearson said:
I wasnt thinking of a Quattro, but certainly sounds it eats into the MPG.

yup - had the use of one (140Q) for 3 weeks

bearing in mind when I was given it it had only covered 8k miles it was barely returning 33 mpg

by the time I returned it, at 11k it was returning 35 ish mpg

not too sure it would have given much more 40mpg

I've got a re-mapped 170 Quattro and I'm showing 39mpg in DIS 2 with under 3k on the clock. On the motorways I get between 42-52mpg depending on how spirited the drive is! Normal m/way driving I get about 48mpg.

Coss

mine has just 'bling'-ed for a drink (424 miles) and it's the first time after a proper fill up, so I'll see later today how much goes in. If the manual is right that's about 48L (~40mpg) but I bet it's not that exact (~7L left)
That's just commuting 12.5 miles each way so light traffic each end with about 8 miles @ 70mph dual carriage in the middle

Is that a 170 Steve?

steveg9 said:
mine has just 'bling'-ed for a drink (424 miles) and it's the first time after a proper fill up, so I'll see later today how much goes in. If the manual is right that's about 48L (~40mpg) but I bet it's not that exact (~7L left)
That's just commuting 12.5 miles each way so light traffic each end with about 8 miles @ 70mph dual carriage in the middle

dalepearson said:
Is that a 170 Steve?
ha ha!! It's a 140 but that's just commuting and total mileage 800
Worked out at 40.5mpg. I just checked back and the Touran (same motor) was up to 2500/3000m before the mpg got over 40
Hmmmm.... was expecting better though!

140TDi

Bolton to Sheffield today (M62/M1)- 59mpg
Return trip averaged at 54mpg
Mainly due to different traffic conditions and my right foot.
Typically averages out in the low 40's when you include running about, short trips, weekends and driving into Manchester most weekdays

170 tdi FWD Sportback

Maidstone, Kent to Nottingham and back yesterday - 47mpg. I was pleasantly suprised by that! :rockwoot:

Rob

I am having a little test drive in a A3 TDI 170 tomorrow, so I will take a note of the MPG.

Hope its good.

Little mistake at the dealers, turned up at the scheduled time for the test drive in the 170. Someone had taken it home by mistake :(. They found another one, but couldnt find the keys.

Better luck next week huh.

dalepearson said:
Little mistake at the dealers, turned up at the scheduled time for the test drive in the 170. Someone had taken it home by mistake :(. They found another one, but couldnt find the keys.

Better luck next week huh.

I think I'd avoid that dealer!

Well I had the test drive yesterday, and it was excellent.
So I think I will be ordering a 170 soon. I was given the keys, and spent an hour on A, B roads and then a little on the motorway and averaged 50MPG, so that will do me.

A good choice. I think the combination of 170 and S-tronic that I chose is near unbeatable (unless they could marry a BMW 123d engine with the S-tronic).