Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

South Africa's lower spec'd S3

Hey guys,

I'm from South Africa where our S3's come standard with 188kw(252bhp). I'm sure they've done this because we only get 95oct fuel sadly... Is this done by just having a lower spec'd remap or are there other parts resulting in our 252bhp and will getting say a GIAC remap solve this problem and give me the same power as you guys get when you get yours remapped. Are there any issues with doing this?

Thanks...

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    It's probably just an ECU de-tune. I map would help, but you still have the issue of the 95 ron fuel. Can you get hold of 97 ron or octane booster?

6th Gear

Status
    Speak to revo, I know there remap has different settings, one of which is for fuel quality. It may fit your needs.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks john!

It's not easy to find 97 fuel in south africa as for octane boosters i'm not to sure but have always been told that they're a waste of time?

6th Gear

Status
    It will be due to the fuel grade.

The S3's over here need to run on 97-99ron in order to achieve the stated 265bhp.

In the manual or somewhere in the small print it will state that if 95ron is used then a lower power output is to be expected.

Octane boosters do work but if you do have a remap you will have to make sure that the octane booster is used or else the engine will knock its arse off if you are running a remap (advanced ignition, advanced spark and more boost).

Neutral

Status
    Octane booster = bad idea...had it on my current GTI and works great while its in the tank...but 1. its damn expensive...roughly R100 per tank of petrol, 2. when you stop using it timing becomes a problem and car surges etc...unless you can afford to throw in a bottle with every tank then its just a waste.

RWD sucks!

Status
    I would not push it a lot with the remap....I am in the same dilemma, my car is lower-specd (255 hp) and I can install an agressive 320 hp map but I am a little worried about long term reliability.

On the other hand, the main problem with our fuels isnt in the capital city, but inside the country. If you live in the urban area, the fuels are good, but as you move inside, the fuel quality diminishies abruptly. I think that is the reason for the lower specd cars (poor fuels + high heat in the north= boooom).

I Think I will go for a 95 ron remap instead of the 98, it gives 10 hp less but I think it will be a little healthier.....

2008 Audi S3

Status
    Guys with FRC (Frieling Racing) and Revo (both with Forge intake) are doing over 200kW at the wheels at JHB altitude.

Yes they are detuned from factory, but no problem with some mods.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkie69
    Guys with FRC (Frieling Racing) and Revo (both with Forge intake) are doing over 200kW at the wheels at JHB altitude.

Yes they are detuned from factory, but no problem with some mods.
    I'm a bit worried about doing any other mods to the car other than a remap... Worried about audi giving me the finger at service time.

I had a look on the GIAC website and it seems to say that there remap can run on 95...

2008 Audi S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by richardn
    I'm a bit worried about doing any other mods to the car other than a remap... Worried about audi giving me the finger at service time.

I had a look on the GIAC website and it seems to say that there remap can run on 95...
    Yeah the remap on its own will be fine. FRC, Revo and GIAC all custom tune for our local conditions. At the one hot hatch festival the FRC cars were doing low 13 second 1/4 miles with remap/intake

But yeah, its up to your location and support for the product, there isnt much between these company maps at all (except FRC doesnt raise boost).

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkie69
    Yeah the remap on its own will be fine. FRC, Revo and GIAC all custom tune for our local conditions. At the one hot hatch festival the FRC cars were doing low 13 second 1/4 miles with remap/intake

But yeah, its up to your location and support for the product, there isnt much between these company maps at all (except FRC doesnt raise boost).
    I'm keen on the GIAC as i see a lot of guys on this forum have it and love it... Do you know what kind of kw/bhp i could expect from just the remap?