JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleep envy

Thread: A3 easter eggs

1st Gear

Status

A3 easter eggs

most manufacturers add touches to the car but don't put them in brochures or the manual so owners have to discover them

only the other day I found the small, flappy sun visor behind the rear view mirror and the carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them

is there anything else I've missed?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Have you seen the 12v charger on the underside of the glove box.

You might have go upside down in the footwell to see if... its towards the 11 o'clock position....

most manufacturers add touches to the car but don't put them in brochures or the manual so owners have to discover them

only the other day I found the small, flappy sun visor behind the rear view mirror and the carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them
    Both of those items are actually mentioned in the Owner's Handbook - a little bedtime reading when you cannot get to sleep!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband
    Have you seen the 12v charger on the underside of the glove box.

You might have go upside down in the footwell to see if... its towards the 11 o'clock position....
    Really? I'll have to go look now!

1st Gear

Status
    erm...

that jester

oh forget it, takes pics please
    Artimus likes this.

6th Gear

Status

windsurfer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy
    carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them

Isn't what you call carrier bag holder a little hook to hold the boot floor mat up when you need to access the spare tire?

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    could do both I s'pose

6th Gear

Status
    its called net and bag hooks under luggage compartment cover and is part of the Storage pack in the UK, so its only for nets ... and bags!

If we are talking about the same think it might well be useful for what you describe but according the the Owner's Manual...

The hook can be used to prevent light bags from falling over in the luggage compartment.

Helps to keep your take away in the bag and not all over the luggage compartment!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Personally one of the best small things on any Audi or VW for that matter is the way the light switch works and stops you from accidentally leave front or rear fogs lights.
    Dave R (h5djr)

windsurfer

Status
    yes I agree these new cars are full of clever bits...
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    Helps to keep your take away in the bag and not all over the luggage compartment!!
    I believe it is commonly referred to as the "Curry Hook".

Anybody new to Audi cars who may previously have driven a BMW or Mercedes may be intrigued by the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel. Very useful, once you get used to it.

I've known about the mini sun visor for years. Although, funnily enough, the guy who bought my last A3 was in my car about six months after he bought the old one and when I pulled the flap down he was amazed to hear that his car had it too!

Other "easter eggs" include the way the car remembers the temperature settings on the aircon for each key.

I believe there was a thread about these hidden features about a year ago.

3rd Gear

Status
    I like how I've never lost the back end even when I've had part worn tyres on the rear. Oh, wrong thread....

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

In two minds

Status
    PMSL
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

6th Gear

Status
    Dont think holding down the AUTO button on the drivers air con is in the handbook.

It syncs both passenger and drivers temperatures to work off the drivers side rocker switch. Saves adjusting both to get the same temp on!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Dont think holding down the AUTO button on the drivers air con is in the handbook.
    Page 128, bottom left paragraph in my 11.2006 Audi A3 Sportback manual.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    is holding down the key fob buttons to close and open the windows in the book

I'm just RTFM averse

6th Gear

Status
    i do believe it is.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    I believe there was a thread about these hidden features about a year ago.
    the one where Bowfer was *****ing about keys?

Nice Touches on the A3

5th Gear

Status
    ahhh, how I remember the days when all I thought Bowfer did was moan, looking at some of his musings I beleive he was inspired

His was a company car like yours - perhaps Audi UK sort out the best one's for private buyers!!!
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    the one where Bowfer was *****ing about keys?

Nice Touches on the A3
    that's the one - although I think there may have been another one too.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    His was a company car like yours - perhaps Audi UK sort out the best one's for private buyers!!!

More like they feel they can ream us for an extra few quid as they know there;s nothing we can do about it for 3 years.................

1st Gear

Status

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bacardi
    ahhh, how I remember the days when all I thought Bowfer did was moan, looking at some of his musings I beleive he was inspired
    You means he's stopped...?
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Wilbury
    I think he's signed back on with a new user name....bacardi

5th Gear

Status
    naaaah - I like DSG! Makes choosing the next car all the more difficult!

2nd Gear

Status
    does everyone has this 12v socket in the footwell on passenger side, under the glove box?
    Audi A3 2.0 tdi sport..many mods to follow...just too fussy when it comes to making decisions!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdisportuk View Post
    does everyone has this 12v socket in the footwell on passenger side, under the glove box?
    Afraid that this was only a piss take, see the jester

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan View Post
    Anybody new to Audi cars who may previously have driven a BMW or Mercedes may be intrigued by the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel. Very useful, once you get used to it.
    Is that what it is? I've only been using it to flash people out of the way, cheers m8
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

2nd Gear

Status
    LOL OH
    Audi A3 2.0 tdi sport..many mods to follow...just too fussy when it comes to making decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_R32 View Post
    I doubt it, but now, but over on the Alpina forum website.

I'm sure he would have loved the items on here about reprogramming the DSG gearbox. But as his was a company car he would probably not been allowed to have it done.

I've got a 12v socket in the boot of my Sportback, but that is part of the Luggage Pack - strange, but it is very useful.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    If you have a Cabrio the heater settings are remembered if they have been set different to the the roof being up or down
    A3 CABRIO S-Line 2.0 TDI DSG
    Liquid Blue-Blue Hood. Celtic Tunning Remap with E Motion -RNSE-Seperate DVD Player-100gb Portable Hard Drive-USB-Phone Prep-Exnon Adaptive Lights-Heated Seats-Lumber Support-Acoustic Parking-Light & Rain Sensors-Interior Light Pack-Storage Pack-Cruise Control-Folding Dipping Mirrors-Interior Auto Dipping Mirror-Bose-Hill Hold-SDS-FBMFSW - Alpine iPod Controller