A3 easter eggs

sleep envy

Reaction score
most manufacturers add touches to the car but don't put them in brochures or the manual so owners have to discover them

only the other day I found the small, flappy sun visor behind the rear view mirror and the carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them

is there anything else I've missed?

Have you seen the 12v charger on the underside of the glove box.

You might have go upside down in the footwell to see if... its towards the 11 o'clock position.... :jester:

most manufacturers add touches to the car but don't put them in brochures or the manual so owners have to discover them

only the other day I found the small, flappy sun visor behind the rear view mirror and the carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them

Both of those items are actually mentioned in the Owner's Handbook - a little bedtime reading when you cannot get to sleep!!

Kontraband said:
Have you seen the 12v charger on the underside of the glove box.

You might have go upside down in the footwell to see if... its towards the 11 o'clock position.... :jester:

Really? I'll have to go look now!

sleep envy said:
carrier bag holder under the rear parcel shelf - first time I've cleaned the car so am not surprised I missed them

Isn't what you call carrier bag holder a little hook to hold the boot floor mat up when you need to access the spare tire?

Pedro

its called net and bag hooks under luggage compartment cover and is part of the Storage pack in the UK, so its only for nets ... and bags! ;)

If we are talking about the same think it might well be useful for what you describe but according the the Owner's Manual...

The hook can be used to prevent light bags from falling over in the luggage compartment.

Helps to keep your take away in the bag and not all over the luggage compartment!!

Personally one of the best small things on any Audi or VW for that matter is the way the light switch works and stops you from accidentally leave front or rear fogs lights.

h5djr said:
Helps to keep your take away in the bag and not all over the luggage compartment!!
I believe it is commonly referred to as the "Curry Hook".

Anybody new to Audi cars who may previously have driven a BMW or Mercedes may be intrigued by the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel. Very useful, once you get used to it.

I've known about the mini sun visor for years. Although, funnily enough, the guy who bought my last A3 was in my car about six months after he bought the old one and when I pulled the flap down he was amazed to hear that his car had it too!

Other "easter eggs" include the way the car remembers the temperature settings on the aircon for each key.

I believe there was a thread about these hidden features about a year ago.

sleep envy said:

I like how I've never lost the back end even when I've had part worn tyres on the rear. Oh, wrong thread....

:)

Dont think holding down the AUTO button on the drivers air con is in the handbook.

It syncs both passenger and drivers temperatures to work off the drivers side rocker switch. Saves adjusting both to get the same temp on!

Reactions: Kamemh
Dont think holding down the AUTO button on the drivers air con is in the handbook.

Page 128, bottom left paragraph in my 11.2006 Audi A3 Sportback manual.

is holding down the key fob buttons to close and open the windows in the book

I'm just RTFM averse

ahhh, how I remember the days when all I thought Bowfer did was moan, looking at some of his musings I beleive he was inspired

His was a company car like yours - perhaps Audi UK sort out the best one's for private buyers!!!

h5djr said:
His was a company car like yours - perhaps Audi UK sort out the best one's for private buyers!!!

More like they feel they can ream us for an extra few quid as they know there;s nothing we can do about it for 3 years.................:wacko:

naaaah - I like DSG! Makes choosing the next car all the more difficult!

does everyone has this 12v socket in the footwell on passenger side, under the glove box?

Anybody new to Audi cars who may previously have driven a BMW or Mercedes may be intrigued by the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel. Very useful, once you get used to it.

Is that what it is? I've only been using it to flash people out of the way, cheers m8 :salute:

You means he's stopped...?

I doubt it, but now, but over on the Alpina forum website.

I'm sure he would have loved the items on here about reprogramming the DSG gearbox. But as his was a company car he would probably not been allowed to have it done.

I've got a 12v socket in the boot of my Sportback, but that is part of the Luggage Pack - strange, but it is very useful.

If you have a Cabrio the heater settings are remembered if they have been set different to the the roof being up or down