Couple of issues with my S3

cooni

Reaction score
Gday all... been loving my S3... already rolled up over 2000km on it and it seems to be well run in now :)

Had a couple of issues and can't be assed to take it back to the unhelpful dealers unless I need to... maybe someone here can help?

Power windows... Sometimes after putting the windows up on auto-up, it goes up and then comes down about 15cm. After this, auto-up/down both stop working. This also happened in my brother's MkV Golf GTI. I've found the way to "reset" the motor, by taking the window all the way up, then holding up for around 5 sec... This works and auto-up/down start working again for a while... and then the problem repeats some time later. Is there any kind of permanent fix?

4th gear... Most of the time putting the car in 4th gear causes the gear shifter to vibrate a bit when accelerating or engine braking at pretty much all revs, but I tend to notice it most between 2000-3000rpm. Power seems to be all there... None of the other gears do this, they are rock solid in gear. Very rarely when crawling through traffic 4th gear is as solid as the rest, but most of the time with what I call normal driving, it sends vibrations up the lever. Whats going on? Anything I should be concerned about?

Bose... Bose is a standard option here in Australia... but somehow they managed to *not* fit it. It's happened to a couple of guys here, esp those with satnav. Got in contact with Audi Australia and they have sent me a $1900 cheque (cost of Bose is a 3-door A3) :icon_thumright:

Think thats it... It'd be great if anyone could shed light on my two issues.

Cheers guys

Did not had those problems mate... The windows might happen but as I don't use them a lot I might have the problem just not realised it... No strange vigrations on 4th gear and engine braking normal...

Maybe someone here can help you out...

Pedro

Not much help but my MkV Golf Tdi does the windows thing too, maybe only 3 or 4 times in 3-1/2 years. I thought on the last occurence it may have been caused by a bump in the road? - You been tearing up farm tracks and going past piles of S**te, windows up to avoid the stench?

Sorted my window "bounce" thing by spraying some silicon spray in the window seal - it first did it about 2 years ago and since spraying its been fine

My Golf also did the windows thing but after a window was smashed / replaced. Do you the reset thing you mentioned and it's fine. Then would come back again at random - do the reset thing and it's fine... etc etc. I would guess it's a dealer / vagcom thing to have it properly corrected.

My MK5 GTI still does the window thing occasionally...very annoying...but not something that'll give me sleepless nights :happy: As for the bose thats just strange...could they not have fitted it for you at the dealer....not something to worry about either though coz from what ive read on the forum there isn't much difference between the standard system and the bose...so maybe a good thing you saved some cash :icon_thumright:

it bounces back because of resistance, it thinks that someones arm/head is stuck in there and therefore goes back for safety

Vagcom will do marginally less than a dealer would (Which is the painful side of ****** all) you need to reduce the resistance, spray some lube in it