New 170 tdi Quattro first impressions....

Garth_S3

Reaction score
Not good :sorry:

My A3 TDI S-Line Quattro 170 arrived at my work first thing Monday morning and I was all excited, too bad the feeling didn't last.

Although it looks great on the outside and very nice inside, it just has a "child's toy" feel about it that I cannot quite put my finger on.

I know that after coming from a remapped '05 BMW 330cd, the A3 was always going to be slower and not as sharp to drive, but I thought the quality and comfort of the interior would make up for it, but they haven't really.

Here are some of the points which are REALLY irritating me after only 3 days:
1) Washer jets are the worst I have used in ANY car. There's just no pressure at all and even squirting for 30 seconds, there are patches of the windscreen that don't get clean (wipers don't seem great either)

2) The balls that keep the parcel shelf strings tight. These are just ****! What happened to the nice tensioners that I had on my 8L S3? The balls look cheap and nasty and bang against the side of the boot on every corner which sounds terrible.

3) The bluetooth handsfree disconnects all the time (The Parrot I had in the Beemer and Nokia I had in my S3 never did this once) and the sound quality is poor compared to the likes of Parrot. Everyone complains they can't hear me every time I phone from the car, but the same phone with the Parrot was fine.

4) Wind noise from the windscreen is far too loud

5) The huge hard handles on either side of the gearstick are possibly the worst piece of design work ever. They serve no purpose other than provide something hard for my knee to hit on every gear change.

These are all bugging me after 3 days, so I'm hoping nothing else does after long term use.

My old S3 was my favourite car ever, I just loved everything about it and after a year in the BMW, I was looking forward to the A3 as I though it was the closest thing I could get to the S3 in a diesel form. The 8P just does not feel as classy or as special as the 8L which is a big surprise.

Everything seems to be massively overcomplicated, from the daft voice control on the phone to the stupidly complex way in which mp3's are navigated and played on the concert stereo. The 'one touch' unlocking is rubbish and as soon as I can get to a dealer I will have it deacitvated. It takes 3 clicks to unlock the damn boot, is this normal? Who designs a system that takes MORE button presses to unlock the car and calls it 'one touch unlocking'??

I think I might just keep my Beemer after all and use it at weekends.

can't say any of these things irritate me whatsover.... things that do irritate me are the abismal fuel consumption (for a 4 cyl diesel) and an interior which isn't exactly quiet in terms of trim noises rattles etc

Why would you leave an 05 330d for an A3 170 TDI? I would call that a downgrade/waste of time!

A3s are great don't get me wrong but if you already own a 330d (if its a sport anyway) then you shouldn't really swap.

Sorry to hear how you feel about it though :(

Garth_S3 said:
. The 'one touch' unlocking is rubbish and as soon as I can get to a dealer I will have it deacitvated. It takes 3 clicks to unlock the damn boot, is this normal? Who designs a system that takes MORE button presses to unlock the car and calls it 'one touch unlocking'??

good luck

2 dealers refused to do this to mine saying that they couldn't do it as they were told by Audi HQ that they may get sued for security reasons (Honest)

One dealer said if I signed a disclaimer and paid them £60 they would do it for me

I leave it unlocked, partly as its easier to get back in, partly in the hope that it will get nicked and I wont have to bother getting 2 more wheel bearings replaced

utter ****, most people have this changed by the dealer. I know I did.

To the OP, not happy then? Out of interest is it a company car?

Garth_S3 said:
The 'one touch' unlocking is rubbish and as soon as I can get to a dealer I will have it deacitvated. It takes 3 clicks to unlock the damn boot, is this normal? Who designs a system that takes MORE button presses to unlock the car and calls it 'one touch unlocking'??

I agree with you on this point - the system seems to have a mind of it's ****** own - people must think I'm a ****** idiot trying to unlock my f*cking boot with the key fob - indicators flashing as I attempt to get in.

I hope it's not a problem to have this turned off - I will gladly sign a piece of paper saying that I am willing to bear any consequences !

yeah, but would you pay £60 for it? I wouldnt mind if I'd actually asked for it to be this friggin way, but I didn't

My wife's toyota is user programmable, the Audi sadly isn't

Well mate I guess you have downgraded.... really! An A3 is like a Golf cannot expect interior quality to be fantastic... it is OK not more!

Unfortunately cars these days are the end product of marketing and economics (the VAG group being a leader here!!!)

I do not have the diesel but I am sure it will be alright. I test drove a 170 with DSG and hated it but I think it was more due to the DSG than the engine..

Let us know how you get on!

Pedro

Markm49 said:
I agree with you on this point - the system seems to have a mind of it's ****** own - people must think I'm a ****** idiot trying to unlock my f*cking boot with the key fob - indicators flashing as I attempt to get in.

What does the 'unlock boot' button do on your remote? Mine opens the boot with just one click, then when you close the boot it locks automatically. If this does not work as it should then get the dealer to fix it.

Anyone with VAG-COM should be able to disable the one-touch unlocking facility.

sibby said:
Why would you leave an 05 330d for an A3 170 TDI? I would call that a downgrade/waste of time!

A3s are great don't get me wrong but if you already own a 330d (if its a sport anyway) then you shouldn't really swap.

Sorry to hear how you feel about it though :(
Yep, it's an M-Sport and a damn nice one too!
http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/1189/cat/18
Why would I swap?....
d3fy said:
Out of interest is it a company car?
Yes, it's a company car. I wish I could justify the expense of 2 cars, then I would keep the Beemer too. It's stunning condition, goes like stink and for some reason gives much better fuel economy than the A3. This is nuts considering it's a 3 litre 6 cylinder with 250 bhp and 385 lbft!

I was going to change the one touch myself, but my version of VAG-COM is not compatible becuase I have a serial cable which for some reason will not comunicate with the CAN :(

I expect you'll grow to like the A3 Garth. I changed from an A4 to an A3 recently, and at first was pretty unimpressed with the step down in build quality - but now the A4 has gone (so I'm not swapping between the 2 cars) I've forgotten about the build issues, and have realised the A3 is a better handling car and IMO cooler looking.

You 330d does look nice, but those really are starting to look dated now, so I think you're making a good move selling now before prices soften.

Maybe a 205bhp remap on the A3 could help matters too ;)

Really sorry to hear your initial impressions. I just hope time helps to heal some of your woes, but having the Beemer on the drive won't help this.

The A3 is starting to show it's age a little bit now, and although for what it is it's not all bad, BMW seem to have Audi licked in most sectors at the moment. The 135i will pummel the S3, the 335d is astonishing (as is the 335i), the M3 is immense, and the 5 series is a great car whether in M or D format. Only the 7 series seems an oddball in a great line up, and the A8 seems the better car.

You can get used to things over time, but when you have the excitement and expectation of a new car it's a shame when you end up feeling how you do now.

Well... with 400 miles on the clock and on it's 4th day, the DPF warning light came on this morning.
I don't do short trips so Audi's explanation for why this happens is garbage. Seems the DPF system is just plain crap. My commute to work and back is all A1 for 30 mins each morning, it's not like I'm driving for 5 mins along a slow road.

Audi's solution is to drive at 2000rpm in 4th or 5th for 15 mins and this will clear the fault.... no it won't, that's what I was diong when the damn light came on!

I hate this car already :(

Garth_S3 said:
5) The huge hard handles on either side of the gearstick are possibly the worst piece of design work ever. They serve no purpose other than provide something hard for my knee to hit on every gear change.

It takes 3 clicks to unlock the damn boot, is this normal? Who designs a system that takes MORE button presses to unlock the car and calls it 'one touch unlocking'??

...and I thought it was only me who had a problem with the knee unfriendly handles!

My remote takes 2 clicks to unlock the boot. The first click unlocks the drivers door, the second everything else. To unlock only the boot you press the centre button and it auto locks on closure.

Twizzler said:
To unlock only the boot you press the centre button and it auto locks on closure.
Problem is, this won't work when the ley is in the ignition, so in order to unlock the boot, I have to stop the car, remove the key from the ignition and then unlock the boot.

Another thing that is doing my head in is having to press the clutch every time I start the car. I like to start the car before I de-ice it in the morning, so having to actually get in, sit down and start the car is a pain when I used to be able to just reach in and start it.

steve184 said:
can't say any of these things irritate me whatsover.... things that do irritate me are the abismal fuel consumption (for a 4 cyl diesel) and an interior which isn't exactly quiet in terms of trim noises rattles etc

Hopefully the fuel consumption will improve the more miles the car does (I am getting approx 380 per tank currently - 2,500 miles) - as for trim noises/rattles I have none whatsoever (hopefully this will be the case in a couple of years).

Garth_S3 said:
Problem is, this won't work when the ley is in the ignition, so in order to unlock the boot, I have to stop the car, remove the key from the ignition and then unlock the boot.

Another thing that is doing my head in is having to press the clutch every time I start the car. I like to start the car before I de-ice it in the morning, so having to actually get in, sit down and start the car is a pain when I used to be able to just reach in and start it.

Absolutely agree again about the clutch thing - am sure the current range of BMW's also require this when starting (I know the 3 series does).

Why do they make this a requirement of starting the car - just interested ?

Did you actually have a look at and test drive a car before you decided on one. Most of what you seem to dislike would be plainly obvious in the first few minutes looking round a car or driving one. If not then you've only got yourself to blame.

As far as the central locking is concerned it is set up the way that to enable you to un-lock the drivers door only so that someone cannot jump in uninvited beside you. I know my wife has her car set in this way and I know most lady's in particular prefer it this way. All you have to do to unlock all doors and the boot is press the same button twice. The middle button is there so that if you only want to put something in the boot and not unlock the whole car you can do so. When this button is used it auto locks again when the hatch is closed. To unlock the hatch with the keys still in the ignition all you have to do is press the unlock button near the door handle. Perhaps you need to read the Owner's Manual that came with the car.

Having said that I prefer that my car unlocks all door and the boot on a single press of the button on the remote and I had mine changed by the dealer before I took delivery.

I think you will find the is to satisfy, in particular, American legislation to prevent the car from jumping forward when the engine is started if someone leaves the car in gear. Does not apply to my 170 as I have a DSG and that has to be in Park to start the engine. The footbrake must then be pressed to take it out of Park, again so that if the revs are too high the car does not jump forward.

Markm49 said:
Absolutely agree again about the clutch thing - am sure the current range of BMW's also require this when starting (I know the 3 series does).

It reduces the load on the starter motor and battery and also ensures the car can't take off.

h5djr said:
Did you actually have a look at and test drive a car before you decided on one. Most of what you seem to dislike would be plainly obvious in the first few minutes looking round a car or driving one. If not then you've only got yourself to blame.
I did, but it was actually before I bought my BMW. I had an S3 at the time and took a new 2.0TDI for a test drive. At the time, I was not massively impressed, but felt it was up to the job. I didn't try every feature of the car due to time, but I felt I could live with it.

It's like buying a new pair of shoes... they feel comfortable in the shop, but after an hour of alking around in them, you realise they hurt your feet.

I changed my own one too, so that 1 click unlocks all.

Most of the time I have the Mrs with me or have something to put in the boot so I prefer it that way round.

Paul

h5djr said:

Totally agree with you here, Dave. Everything you are complaining about would have been obvious on the test drive. Did you test drive it first? Because if you didn't that's gotta be one of the styupidest things I've ever heard of and I have no sympathy at all.

p.s DPF - 3000 miles and not a hint of a problem on mine.

Garth_S3 said:
IAt the time, I was not massively impressed, but felt it was up to the job. I didn't try every feature of the car due to time, but I felt I could live with it.

Well stop bitching then, you knew what you were getting, why are you acting like it's all come as a suprise?

h5djr said:
All you have to do to unlock all doors and the boot is press the same button twice. .

B*&*ocks

Press the same button twice within a pathetically determined interval else all you do is lock the ****** thing again, its crap and you know it

Press the same button twice within a pathetically determined interval else all you do is lock the ****** thing again, its crap and you know it

First, my wife has it set that way on her Polo, prefers it that way and has not problem at all using it. Perhaps she's just cleverer than you!

Secondly, I prefer mine to operate on a single press and I am used to it working that way from all my previous A3s so I had mine set that way.

It's call choice! so don't be ****** so rude.

It reduces the load on the starter motor and battery and also ensures the car can't take off.

Yes I agree. I was told to do that when I was taught to drive and always did it on all my previous manual gearbox cars. But then I think I was taught to drive rather that taught to pass my drive test!

h5djr said:
First, my wife has it set that way on her Polo, prefers it that way and has not problem at all using it. Perhaps she's just cleverer than you!
last time I looked I had an Audi A3, not a Polo

I'm stating facts, Mine is unreliable at best, frustrating to the point of wanting to put a brick through the window at worst,

I honestly don't bother locking it at work or home

Walk up to car, press button twice, but press it too quicky and its locked, press it again (three times) and the boot/rear doors are still locked

****** hopeless

Yours isn't working properly bacardi. If I approach mine and press the button twice, say 1 second apart, it works fine.

cheers Twizzler, can you let my Audi dealer now for me? they reckon its just fine :)

last time I looked I had an Audi A3, not a Polo

It's the same VAG system used both both cars. Both her Polo and my A3 work in exactly the same way with almost identical remore keys apart from the Audi badge on mine and the VW badge on hers.

I had my previous A3 set on 'press twice' unlocking for a while and had no problems with it, but preferred the 'single press' so I had it changed.

By the way it's square braket quote square braket to start a quote and square bracket /quote] square braket to end a quote.

h5djr said:

It doesn't sound like he has been near one before taking delivery otherwise he'd of known about the bits he doesn't like before placing the order.

I've not had a problem with any of the things mentioned like hitting knees against the handles, never heard the parcel shelf banging around etc. and dont have bluetooth so no problem there either.

I honestly don't bother locking it at work or home

Try explaining that to your insurance company when you car is stolen. Unless of course it's a company car and then I don't suppose you give a damn. If you cannot work the remore locking, try using the key.

DPF light not been on once in over 5,000 miles. 500 miles to a tank of fuel.

I dont want to sound like I have a blinkered view but I guess I just got a good one... so far.

I really don't care if its the same system or not (which I doubt it is by the way) Mine doesn't work

If you press it twice too quickly it locks itself,

If you leave it too long it locks itself

If you get it juuuuuuust right its fine.

Myself, my Wife, two friends at work with A3's and a fair few people with Golfs all say the same,

Clearly as yours and you're wife's polo works perfectly you're once again highlighting that you have the miracle ability to but a VAG car with absolutely no problems inherrant at all, When you next upgrade can I buy your old one off of you? It would be lovely to drive around in one with no faults.

its a crap system and it should be user selectable, not having to go back and suffer the visit to your local dealer to try to convince them to change the ****** thing over and/or give them more money for doing so. Incidently Huntingdon Audi wanted to charge for this, even though the car was in for a service.

Oh and I know how to use quotes thanks, I was using a mobile phone and editing posts is quite tricky, sorry its not up to your usual high standards

Clearly as yours and you're wife's polo works perfectly you're once again highlighting that you have the miracle ability to but a VAG car with absolutely no problems inherrant at all, When you next upgrade can I buy your old one off of you? It would be lovely to drive around in one with no faults.

I'll remember to give you first refusal on my A3 when I change it in two years time. Huntingdon Audi did not charge me for recoding mine, or for recoding to instrument lights always on, but then I asked how they were setup as standard and asked them to change it before I took deliverly.

bacardi said:
cheers Twizzler, can you let my Audi dealer now for me? they reckon its just fine :)

Then that would appear to be a problem with your dealer, not your car.

h5djr said:
Try explaining that to your insurance company when you car is stolen. Unless of course it's a company car and then I don't suppose you give a damn. If you cannot work the remore locking, try using the key.

They're welcome to it, honestly I would be glad to see the back of it

I absolutely love the gearbox and the look of the car, the repeated faults, the appauling dealerships and pi%% poor Audi HQ response makes me sick everytime something else goes wrong with it

h5djr said:
I'll remember to give you first refusal on my A3 when I change it in two years time. Huntingdon Audi did not charge me for recoding mine, or for recoding to instrument lights always on, but then I asked how they were setup as standard and asked them to change it before I took deliverly.

wish i'd known it was a feature I could change, I also wish I'd known how annoying it would become so I could have insisted it was changed before delivery

Incidently, if you press the unlock button on yours in rapid sucession, does it always unlock all doors?