• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sleep envy said:
you <-------------stick--------------->point

4 new tyres - use car = worn rears, half worn fronts

replace rear tyres = half worn fronts, new rears

use car again = worn fronts, worn rears

replace all four, etc, etc

ok, there will be a point that the fronts will have more tread depth but there's nothing you can do about

er, no.

If you have 4 new tyres and for arguments sake lets say the fronts take 20,000 miles to wear down 8mm. The rears take 10,000 miles to wear down 8mm and are replaced twice in the same period the fronts are changed once.

After 1000 miles, the fronts have worn 0.4 mm, the rears have worn 0.8mm. So the fronts have more tread depth.

This will be the case right up until the rears are changed. Then the rears will be slowly playing catch up with the fronts.

Time you checked your logic ;)

Teejay said:
er, no.

If you have 4 new tyres and for arguments sake lets say the fronts take 20,000 miles to wear down 8mm. The rears take 10,000 miles to wear down 8mm and are replaced twice in the same period the fronts are changed once.

After 1000 miles, the fronts have worn 0.4 mm, the rears have worn 0.8mm. So the fronts have more tread depth.

This will be the case right up until the rears are changed. Then the rears will be slowly playing catch up with the fronts.

Time you checked your logic ;)

the magnitude in difference is no where near the likes you describe

new tyres generally have 8mm of tread depth from new and are illegal after 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tyre

futhermore the discussion was about the fitting new tyres and not about the rate of wear

Lets say then that you let your tyres wear down from 8mm>3mm because you're a conscientious driver and like to keep a good level of grip in the wet even though the law says you don't need to.

You said that you get through 2 sets of rear tyres in the time you get through 1 set of fronts. This means that 50% of the time the front tyres have more tread, and arguably more grip.

Your argument, using your own example, is flawed. In fact, your argument actually is the opposite of what you are trying to advocate has been proven by scientists all over the world.

I'm not saying that I disagree with your sentiment/logic, purely that the example you have used does not stand up to cross-examination.

Sorry,
Tim

Ive changed my tyres over ( new-ish Mitchelin pilot sport ) to the rear they were on the front!

The other day i took the car out for a blast ( not driving crazy ) i went over a crest that drops down and turns left, my fronts started spinning and the car started too understeer , but the rears brought me back in too line, it just showed me how vital the rears are on this car!

What with reading this thread , and watching the videos , and the above episode ive put me good tyres on the rear!

Granted you would be unlucky for your rear to flip out like in the vid's , but it could all the same , better to be safe than sory!

p

If it is safer to put the new tyres on the rear, why do Audi recommend tyre rotation,this means you will put more worn tyres from the front onto the rear, and tyres with more tread onto the front. ???

Mark

phantom said:
Ive changed my tyres over ( new-ish Mitchelin pilot sport ) to the rear they were on the front!

The other day i took the car out for a blast ( not driving crazy ) i went over a crest that drops down and turns left, my fronts started spinning and the car started too understeer , but the rears brought me back in too line, it just showed me how vital the rears are on this car!

What with reading this thread , and watching the videos , and the above episode ive put me good tyres on the rear!

Granted you would be unlucky for your rear to flip out like in the vid's , but it could all the same , better to be safe than sory!

p

But you dont know how th ecar would have behaved if you had kept the new ones on the front, perhaps you wouldn't have even been in that situation?

J.

Pardon my ignorance - but are you guys driving on summer tyres?? :think:

Here in Norway that is not allowed at all in the winter, but if you do, and you get in a car crash, you get the blame no matter what, and your insurance company also cuts you off.
Transport trailers without chains AND sufficient tire thread depth are stopped at the border and cannot enter Norway before meeting our laws regarding this.

But, we have a different kind of winter than you do. My winter tires are ContiVikingContact 3

When driving on snow and ice here up north you really appreciate good front tires, at least with a FWD, but I would never put new tires on the back and leave the front with slicks - that's just rubbish. :cool:

marriedblonde said:
But you dont know how th ecar would have behaved if you had kept the new ones on the front, perhaps you wouldn't have even been in that situation?

J.

No mate, i had the new-ish Michelin on the front when i spun and understeered! it was the worn rears, about 5-6 mil left that got me back on track, so after that and watching the vid's i want my best tyres on the rear!

p

Last time I had tyres fitted I noticed that best tyres on the rear wheels was recommended. However, I do not know where these professional experts got their knowledge from. From my driving experience which goes back to mid 50s era cars. I would always put the best tyres on the front. OK, suppose you do lose grip at the rear end, it’s normally controllable unless the forces are such that no matter how good your tyres physical laws would prevail. If you lose grip at the front it’s normally uncontrollable the car just keeps plough on in the direction it was originally moving.
Anyway if you have a front wheel drive car with poor tread on the front others will keep leaving you standing at traffic lights.

Had my new GY F1 Assymetrics on the FRONT for a week now, can not get the front or rear to break lose, the front wheel grip is awesome with these tyres,still got the conti's on the rear with no probs.Even booting it around islands etc.

Mark