Volks AutosSky Insurance

View Poll Results: New tyres? Front or rear?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front

31 58.49%
  • Rear

22 41.51%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    So your now saying that with worn fronts my car doesn't tramline? I am just imagining it?
    no, I am saying that it's more likely down to the camber settings on the car

if it were due to the tyre explain to me why a tyre worn equally across the tread (which is only 5 mm different from new to the point of illegal) will make it tramline?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg
    I know you would say this....lololol!

It is not the perbeft example at all but just helps to illustrate what happens when there is a difference in grip front/rear!

Or are you saying that a worn tire grips the same as a new tire (after running in)?????????
    Worn tyres actually offer better grip in dry conditions than new ones. I assume no one would argue that?

But in your example you had worn tyres front and rear did you not? Well thats what you posted? Are you now saying that the fronts had more grip that the rears?
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

5th Gear

Status
    On account it doesn't fit with your argument. Like I Said in the video there are 2 runs yes?

One in which the car spins and the other it doesn't? Agree so far?

So therefore we can conclude in the wet at 30mph driving round a bend in a family car with worn rear tyres and new front tyres you will spin?

Is that not what the test showed?

Sorry - was a sarcastic response to Bowfers comment

As for your notes, you're 100% spot on

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster
    Tyres, do you wait until they are nearly illegal before changing? Mine are on half tread and I have already noticed a change in the handling... thinking about new rubber all round, if you like driving fast do you change your tyres before they get to minimum tread/illegal?
    I replace before illegal, but I don't pay for them.
    I tend to notice the car becoming sensitive to white lines/marks in the road, rather than a lack of grip.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sleep envy
    no, I am saying that it's more likely down to the camber settings on the car

if it were due to the tyre explain to me why a tyre worn equally across the tread (which is only 5 mm different from new to the point of illegal) will make it tramline?
    So how has the camber changed on my car? It hasn't. The only thing that has changed is the tyre depth.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster
    as alot of people are posting in here who seem to know what they are talking about, let me add another question which Id like to know other peoples opinions on....

Tyres, do you wait until they are nearly illegal before changing? Mine are on half tread and I have already noticed a change in the handling... thinking about new rubber all round, if you like driving fast do you change your tyres before they get to minimum tread/illegal?
    I try to change before they become iillegal, or close to

5th Gear

Status
    I change them when the dealer says its the tyres causing the whee lbearing noise so that they have ot admit it is in fact the wheel bearings

13 wheel bearings, 11 tyres

windsurfer

Status
    The tires on my S3 are mid worn and I can already feel the changes in grip....

Actually some people might not be aware but is not only thread deep that gives the grip is actually the rubber properties... Have you ever wondered why winter tires wear very quickly if driven on dry hot tarmac? The compound is softer giving more grip at lower temperatures compared to normal summer tires...

Another thing is that each heat cycle that you put the rubber on it actually hardens the compound slightly... So in terms of grip and talking only about the rubber a mid worn tire will have the rubber more "hard" than when it was new....

Although it might not be noticiable by most drivers.... it is what happens.

My father has tires that have lasted 60k km!!! He drives slowly and is very gentle on the tires... Some tires are like 5 years old... Hard as rocks for all the heat cycles (normal driving is enough to heat up the tire) and dried due to time... that rubber has absolutly no grip compared to when it was new... even if the threads are within legal limits..

I change my tires every 2 years even if they are still legal... Usually they don't last two years but it is my limit...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Or are you saying that a worn tire grips the same as a new tire (after running in)?????????
    Pretty much, yes.
    Tyre manufacturers spend a fortune making sure their tyres retain their performance for their entire life.
    I know all about heat cycles, I used to do bike development work for Avon.
    Road compounds don't suffer from it, not really.
    Competition tyres do, because they're designed to work within very strict temperature perameters.
    They're designed to get to temperatures you couldn't possibly reach on the road.
    So the cooling/heating/cooling/heating cycle is more pronounced.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st February 2008 at 13:16.

windsurfer

Status
    Worn tyres actually offer better grip in dry conditions than new ones. I assume no one would argue that?

But in your example you had worn tyres front and rear did you not? Well thats what you posted? Are you now saying that the fronts had more grip that the rears?
    Worn tires of the same compound of normal tires (not racing slicks) do not offer more grip in normal (dirty roads) Do you really think they do????? So I would you will save your worn tires for summer trackdays on your BM???

The extreme of a worn tire would be a slick tire... do you agree?

Put yourself on a proper go kart, get a tire with the same softness (which would be hard)... but instead of driving it in the circuit drive it on a parking lot.... you will see the great grip of a slick/extreme worn tire... put even a little splash of water from washing your car and then you will really see grip!!! (not!!)

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    So how has the camber changed on my car? It hasn't. The only thing that has changed is the tyre depth.
    correct, it hasn't

the contact patch will have changed as well

which is why a less -ve camber setting will reduce that

Status
    Worn tires of the same compound of normal tires (not racing slicks) do not offer more grip in normal (dirty roads) Do you really think they do????? So I would you will save your worn tires for summer trackdays on your BM???

The extreme of a worn tire would be a slick tire... do you agree?

Put yourself on a proper go kart, get a tire with the same softness (which would be hard)... but instead of driving it in the circuit drive it on a parking lot.... you will see the great grip of a slick/extreme worn tire... put even a little splash of water from washing your car and then you will really see grip!!! (not!!)

Pedro
    a worn, legal tyre (i.e. with tread, no slick) , will offer more grip than a new one in the dry. Please note I am saying in the dry, not on damp roads, not on wet roads, not in the rain, not in the snow. In the dry.

1st Gear

Status
    a worn, legal tyre (i.e. with tread, no slick) , will offer more grip than a new one in the dry.
    agreed

less so in the wet

Status
    agreed

less so in the wet
    Jesus. We agree on something!

windsurfer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Pretty much, yes.
    Tyre manufacturers spend a fortune making sure their tyres retain their performance for their entire life.
    I know all about heat cycles, I used to do bike development work for Avon.
    Road compounds don't suffer from it, not really.
    Competition tyres do, because they're designed to work within very strict temperature perameters.
    They're designed to get to temperatures you couldn't possibly reach on the road.
    So the cooling/heating/cooling/heating cycle is more pronounced.
    Sure is more pronunced but it exists!!

Get your self this https://rexgauge.securesites.net/mod...?category=2100
    and check a new tire and the same one after a year of use....

Maybe were are talking very small differences here.... but back to the topic the front vs rear is not negligible one...

Pedro

1st Gear

Status
    Jesus. We agree on something!

windsurfer

Status
    a worn, legal tyre (i.e. with tread, no slick) , will offer more grip than a new one in the dry. Please note I am saying in the dry, not on damp roads, not on wet roads, not in the rain, not in the snow. In the dry.
    I agree to disagree...lolololol

If it is a worn tire you are probably saying it has more grip because there is more contact with the road.... whell if threads are legal I don;t think a tire can deform enough to take advantage of that.

Also the rubber properties will have decayed compared to a new tire.

If anything grip will be the same... not better.

Pedro

3rd Gear

Status
    Five pages. Definitely a record for me.

My decision is made.

I totally understand both arguments but as far as my real world driving is concerned the new ones are going on the front.

You guys can carry on if you like or lock it and close the poll. Up to you. Nothing new is being discussed and we don't want the thread to descend to mud slinging. Thanks to all.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    I agree to disagree...lolololol

If it is a worn tire you are probably saying it has more grip because there is more contact with the road.... whell if threads are legal I don;t think a tire can deform enough to take advantage of that.

Also the rubber properties will have decayed compared to a new tire.

If anything grip will be the same... not better.

Pedro
    road surfaces aren't billiard table smooth

the aggregate in the wearing course which is designed to allow water to trickle away will also key into the grooves

the less the tread depth the greater the percentage that the tyre and aggregate are joined

therefore greater tread depth the lower the slipping angle

which is why it's harder for me to get the arse out on a track day with less tread and when it does go it's at a far higher speed than with new boots

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1068
    Nothing new is being discussed
    yes there is

3rd Gear

Status
    yes there is
    Be my guest then

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1068
    Nothing new is being discussed and we don't want the thread to descend to mud slinging. Thanks to all.
    3 pages ago I did think that I would be locking the thread but credit to everyone who's been involed in the debate it has remained civilised.

J.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    No guarantee her speed was the same for both tests.
    No guarantee her throttle position was the same.
    No guarantee the grip co-efficient of the tarmac was the same for both tests
    No guarantee her sterring wheel forces were the same for both tests.
    No guarantee the tarmac temperature was the same for both tests.
    No guarantee the tyre pressures were the same for both tests.
    Etc.etc.etc.

So just like real life driving then?

It may or may not happen depending on the conditions?

I dont think anyone on here/tyre experts who have done the tests are actually saying if you put new tyres on the front IT WILL HAPPEN more of the CHANCES ARE INCREASED.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

windsurfer

Status
    road surfaces aren't billiard table smooth

the aggregate in the wearing course which is designed to allow water to trickle away will also key into the grooves

the less the tread depth the greater the percentage that the tyre and aggregate are joined

therefore greater tread depth the lower the slipping angle

which is why it's harder for me to get the arse out on a track day with less tread and when it does go it's at a far higher speed than with new boots
    Nice theory but I don't buy it.... but I give in and OK in the dry it will have the same grip.

In a track day you might feel harder to loose the rear but probably is because there is more rubber in the racing line hence creating more grip.... If you have raced before you know what happens when you step out of the racing line... it's like stepping on ice!! lololol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    So just like real life driving then?

It may or may not happen depending on the conditions?

I dont think anyone on here/tyre experts who have done the tests are actually saying if you put new tyres on the front IT WILL HAPPEN more of the CHANCES ARE INCREASED.
    So why bother posting up the links to the clips then? You used them as fact for your argument. The clips clearly show 2 runs showing what happens with worn tyres on the front and worn tyres on the rear.

How many people do you think watched that show and thought crap need to change my tyres before I crash and die?

Let me guess on that weeks top gear it was win a free ford C-max, complete with 4 new tyres from continental...

Mellow Yellow

Status
    on my 911 my fronts last twice as long as the rears mainly due to my driving style - therefore I replace all four, then just the rears and then all four and so on and so forth

at no time will the front have a greater tread depth than the rear
    *cough* *er bo##ocks* *cough*

You swap all four
    Then you swap the rears
    Then you swap all four.

So actually, from the point you change all four to the point you change the rears the fronts have more tread depth.

Or have I missed the point you were trying to make?!?

6th Gear

Status
    So why bother posting up the links to the clips then? You used them as fact for your argument. The clips clearly show 2 runs showing what happens with worn tyres on the front and worn tyres on the rear.

How many people do you think watched that show and thought crap need to change my tyres before I crash and die?

Let me guess on that weeks top gear it was win a free ford C-max, complete with 4 new tyres from continental...
    I cant remember arguing on here.......

More like just posting some FACT from experts/independents and not just OPINIONS to let the people arguing try to see some reasoning.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status

Possibly Fifth Gear maybe....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay
    *cough* *er bo##ocks* *cough*

You swap all four
    Then you swap the rears
    Then you swap all four.

So actually, from the point you change all four to the point you change the rears the fronts have more tread depth.

Or have I missed the point you were trying to make?!?
    you <-------------stick--------------->point

4 new tyres - use car = worn rears, half worn fronts

replace rear tyres = half worn fronts, new rears

use car again = worn fronts, worn rears

replace all four, etc, etc

ok, there will be a point that the fronts will have more tread depth but there's nothing you can do about

Status
    Possibly Fifth Gear maybe....
    Thats the puppy!

6th Gear

Status
    More interesting reading.....

[20 Apr 07] Motorists Get Their Tyres Back to Front!
    Category: General
    Most drivers think that new tyres should be fitted to the front wheels

A car tyre is often a distress purchase, but even when replacing one in the course of normal vehicle maintenance, it has long been believed that the new tyres should be fitted on the front wheels. Research by TyreSafe, Britain's foremost tyre safety organisation, has indicated that over 50% of motorists believe this to be the case and 30% of motorists did not know.

However, recent demonstrations have indicated that it is more beneficial to fit the new rubber to the rear wheels, regardless of whether the vehicle is front or rear wheel drive. Industry research suggests that if the new tyres are fitted to the rear wheels, water on the road surface is better dispersed, which improves straight line braking ability. Conversely, if the rear track is fitted with part worn tyres, the car often has a dangerous tendency to oversteer.

Although the majority of the cars on the road are front wheel drive, it seems to make sense to have the new tyres up front. The demonstrations also showed that there is often a greater loss of control when a rear tyre suffers a puncture, so in fact it makes greater sense to fit the fresh, less vulnerable rubber to the rear wheels.

Rear tyres are subject to relatively low wear rates as well, meaning that the new tyres will have a longer lifespan on the back rims. Fitting new tyres to the rear and moving part worn rubber to the front each time also means that the rear tyres will be less prone to age-related deterioration from prolonged exposure.

Status
    I cant remember arguing on here.......

More like just posting some FACT from experts/independents and not just OPINIONS to let the people arguing try to see some reasoning.
    Do you not think you videos are flawed?

6th Gear

Status
    Thats the puppy!

Vicky B not good enough for Top Gear

6th Gear

Status
    Do you not think you videos are flawed?

I have only watched them once so not taken a huge deal of notice its just there is so much information and guidance on fitting new tyres to the rear (see my new post above) and nothing at all to state putting them on the front it seems a no brainer to me really....

Status
    Vicky B not good enough for Top Gear
    Personally can't stand the women, but I'm not a great fan of fifth gear anyway. The only way it is watchable is on sky + so you can fast forward most of it...

1st Gear

Status
    Personally can't stand the women
    and you're married?

is it a civil partnership?

5th Gear

Status
    Personally can't stand the women, but I'm not a great fan of fifth gear anyway. The only way it is watchable is on sky + so you can fast forward most of it...
    Yup, you can easily watch an episode in under 20 minutes

I love the way they leave it 6 months then copy an idea from Top Gear, only with half the budget

plus Tiff Needel is an absolute arse

Status
    and you're married?

is it a civil partnership?
    LOL...woman, can't stand the woman!

Occasionally can't stand the wife either

6th Gear

Status
    I tell you when 5th gear stopped being an option for me.
    When they did a test (think it was between a Seat and a Gti Golf) around a racetrack, using reverse gear only...
    About the most pathetic attempt at humour I've seen since Only Fools and f*ckwits was on telly.
    TBH, if I were in charge of Seat/VW's press fleet, I'd have told them it was the last time they get a car to test.
    Honestly...screaming the tits of a car in reverse...

5th Gear

Status
    now.........

driving backwards

New tyres on front or on rear?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast