HIDs and wipers module failure

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
I have installed a set of HIDs in the foglights of my S3 but I ve read some cases of the HIDs messing with the wiper module. I did not have any issues at all, but would like to confirm if others did....I havent used them a lot but Id rather take them off if they will give me trouble!

Let me hear your experiences!

No experience of your particular problem, but the electrics on A3s are much more 'integrated' with each other with control modules covering a number of separate function so it could well be that two areas that do not appear connected (sorry about the pun) could affect each other.

Certainly a dealer would be quite correct to say that adding the HIDs to the fog lights made void the warranty on the electrical circuits and components.

The failing part is the Wiper motor itself........apparently, this happens as you retrofit low quality kits to the Main beams.....

But....I think I am not going to risk it and reinstall some halogen bulbs, only whiter so they match the OEM bixenons....

any more info anyone?

Sounds like the best option to me. There are plenty of 'white' halogen bulbs out there. I've got front fogs as well but I used them for the first time the other day and only then because the fog was so think I wanted to use my rear fog light. Front figs are rather un-necessary with good headlights.

Have you changed the bulbs in your DRLs?

the wiper controller is within the motor assembly, its not separate. its the controller that goes dead not the wiper motor.

several owners have had more than one motor replaced under warranty, but i dont know if its really anything to do with hid lights - perhaps more likely a bad batch of wiper controllers and the age of cars that people are modding coincides with the bad wipers?
a simple filter (often sold as can-bus error canceller) would block any nasty interference from the hid ballast going back onto the power lines.