170 TDI chrome exhaust tip

AudiLad

Reaction score
i have a 140 and it doesnt have the twin chrome tips that my mums old 170 had,but i would like to get hold of 1,were is the best place to get them ive tryed ebay but cant seem to find any genuine audi ones,any ideas? tar

its the whole exhaust you would need unfortunately

do you have a powerflow or exhaust fabricators near by?

you can get the tips cut off and be replaced by your own style of tip for around £60-80

My 140 Sline has the chrome bent tips, these are welded on at the factory but can be removed, I'm currently looking at whats about before playing with mine. I think I want slash cut but around 75mm in diameter.

on the note of exhaust i am looking at getting chrome tips ot a boxer for mine... now does a Duplex system with the right back pressure from the back box work or does it not?.

i have had mixed review from friends.

AudiLad: sorry to ask on yoru post matey .

anyone know the diameter of the 170 pipes.

Good post, I'm getting a 140bhp, so I'll be doing the same thing. John cook solved this case a long time ago. Here was his solution as Beddie said.

20TDIExhaustBefore.jpg
20TDIExhaustAfter.jpg

For £60, can't go wrong

do you know the diameter of those mate? I think they are too big.

Agreed. Search John Cook and you'll find the post with the information. I will go smaller, but you get the gist of the idea K-Dash :icon_thumright:

ok thanks fellas,im goin to get them replaced then,cut and new1s welded on,and yes i do have a good fab shop near by,exhaust specialests to i think,i dont want 2 make it snd any diffrent,its a diesel i accept that lol,just a cosmetic touch,after looking at pictures of boydies it made my mind up :)

I don't think they look too big, the most I would go is 76mm like the Miltek, i've looked on ebay but they are all 80mm + which is too big to fit.

Chrome tips used tobe available from the audi main dealers, expensive, i have seen them on ebay before but make sure they are for your model.

Brother just dropped off the tips as ebay linked above. (great having contacts in a parts department)

Anyone ever fitted these before.

Any problems getting the old tailpipe finishers off. They are welded at the bottom.

Take some pics if you could please mate when you have completed fitting them so i can see the difference, tar

Will do. Not that it is rocket science but i'll do a little run through for you.

heres the item itself.

IMGP0274.jpg

Whats the part number K-dash.

So you dont actually weld the new ones on?

Take it you just cut the very end off the existing pipe.

What the retail cost of these from audi?

Thanks.

What year is your A3

Part number is
ZGB8PO071902 (what it says on sheet, that in pic above you can't read)

If these do, as you say, corrode and fall off?, how long does this process generally take, how long should they last.

I'm not too fussed as I paid nothing for them. I will be looking for the best product to protect them from the above. The only design fault i could see was the way they clamp to the existing pipes.

basically mattandrew, you cut the weld at the bottom of the existing tailpipe finishings and slide the new ones over the inner pipe and allen key the supplied bolts, thus clamping the new finishings to the inner pipes.

easy when you've not tried yet and all you've done is read the instruction sheet.

I'll get pics done, if you like it, I'll have a word see if i can get anymore. ;)

Yeah defo get some pictures, be interesting to see how they look. I cant see any major problems with them falling off.

When you thinking of fitting them? Yeah see what you can sort.

Just a thought but won't the soot coming out of the 140 Non DPF turn these a nice shade of black anyway ?

Not if you wash them, when you wash the rest of the motor.

Markm49 said:
Just a thought but won't the soot coming out of the 140 Non DPF turn these a nice shade of black anyway ?

Yes I agree you will get more soot deposits over the back of the car... even more so if its been remapped.
170 has the DPF so less smoke, allowing straight tail pipes.

Eeef said:
until they fall off?
LOL, you're going to be unpopular enough with following traffic when you belch smoke at them through the straight tips, let alone when the fall off and end up bouncing over their bonnet! :)

Vertigo1 said:
LOL, you're going to be unpopular enough with following traffic when you belch smoke at them through the straight tips, let alone when the fall off and end up bouncing over their bonnet! :)

:) :) QUALITY :) :)

done

before
IMGP0254.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

the welds are pony had to reiforce one.

Looks ok i think. nothing to shout about.

Looks better

Do you actually cut away the outer part of the exhaust part, which part of the weld did you have to reinstate?

When you look at the pipes from the rear can you see the old pipes in the middle?

another pic

DSC00977.jpg

Having seen it more now it looks so much better.

brilliant mod especially when its free.

under the original pipes there is a weld across which needs cutting all the way.

My dad did the cutting cos he's got the tool for it.

I only had to correct one weld. It broke as i was tightening the fixing.

On this note boys - i have 2.0 TFS S Line with the chrome tips, but the they are really manky - any advice on how i can clean them up and make them shiny as hell?

They are really caked in it

ive got the same, use autosol, its a creamed metal cleaner, you can get it in halfords for £5.50 for a toothpaste sized tube, it lasts though.

to clean the pipes first remove most of the soot and dirt, put a small bit on a soft cloth and rub in to the metal, the more elbow you put in the shinier they get, they dont come that polished this will shine them up though.

My tips were really manky on my A4 so I sanded them down a bit using very fine sandpaper to remove the dirt and soot. I then polished them using Autosol and they really did shine.

Wire wool with some metal polish is good for exhaust tips.

Fitted the exhaust tips a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to K-Dash for supplying they look so much better. I also had to weld a small hole in the exhaust where I had cut the old trims off. There are two welds on each pipe which removes the old trims as shown below. I also cut the ends of the tailpipes square so that when you look from the back you don't see the old pipes as much in the middle, One other thing i did was put plenty of silver grease around the screws to stop them corroding..

28032008003.jpg

28032008002.jpg

CIMG0276.jpg

CIMG0275.jpg