VAG COM purchase

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
As many might know, there is quite a bunch of vag com cables on ebay (they are quite simple cables, but the software is the main issue).

Has anyone purchased one of these? I really want one! But the ross tech, with shipping and taxes, is quite steep!

:sadlike:

Just bear in mind that you'll need a canbus compatible one. I have one of the earlier "ebay" leads and it doesn't work.
TBH the best bet is to get the real one as you have full backup and with the exchange rate in our favour it wouldn't work out that expensive.
It would be interesting to know if a Group buy could be organised as I would be interested!

According to this post in the VAG-COM forum, it could still work out cheaper to buy one from the US...

If you choose to get the your interface directly from Ross-Tech, the cost of shipping is approximately $35 USD and the goods are delivered in about 2 days. Of course you must pay the queen her 17.5% or whatever it is at the moment. The HEX-USB+CAN interface sells for $349 USD and the KEY-USB is $249 USD. I'm not sure which would be best for you without knowing more detail of your plans and the cars you wish to work on.

Beware of the aftermarket. There are some out there marking their goods, "Genuine Ross-Tech". If they are not listed on our distributor page, they are not selling Genuine product.

With the current exchange rate of 1.961 dollars to the pound it would work out abound £230.00

You have to take the hassle factor into account too if there's a problem with the item you receive when ordering from abroad.

Further to my last post, I once sent a watch in a wooden presentation box to an ebay buyer in the US. It arrived damaged. Even though I'd sent it insured I finished up in a 3 way battle involving the UK postal service, the US Mail and the buyer. Neither postal service would budge. UK said it wasn't damaged when it left UK. US said it was damaged when it arrived in US.......

You have to take the hassle factor into account too if there's a problem with the item you receive when ordering from abroad.

Agreed, but personally I have purchased quite a number of items, both through eBay and direct, from the US, Germany, Switzerland and Hong Kong and I've never had any problems. It does depend on how much you are saving and also if the item concerned is actually available in the UK. For only a small saving I would prefer to buy from within the UK as well

Agree with you Dave. I order from abroad too sometimes but avoid it whenever possible. Problem is, Sale of Goods act doesn't apply and very often warranties don't either.

You're lucky everything has always gone ok. It's a similar scenario to your insurance company. They're all wonderful until you make a claim..........

Ross-tech service in the US is excellent.

I'd forgotten I had an old interface lying around the house when I used to have a 1999 Passat estate. I contacted them via email and they confirmed I could upgrade the interface at a reduced price.

So, I ordered the upgrade on the Friday afternoon.

Monday morning, FedEx delivered the new interface - very impressive service :icon_thumright:

Guys,
I am not in the UK so the change rate isnt favourable for me....

On the US ebay, the cables go for like 20 US dollars each so the price difference is REALLY mean! I dont want to program anything on my car, just want to scan it sometimes to see if everything is doing fine....

Be very careful about the cheap leads on eBay. I understand that most of them do not work properly and buying the 'genuine' lead is what gives a licence for the software

Can I ask a quick question, I have a Vag com cable from a while back. it was for my RS4 that I had, will this still work? I remember it having a green LED on the lead! Thanks

i was just thinking guys, altho it may seem a silly idea and a little of subject, but what if a few guys who liver releatively close to each other go shares on a VAG-COM kit. just a thought

ben:ermm:

I might be wrong, but I'm sure the cable only allows you a certain amount of users

ahh well you may be right, i have never used or even seen one lol, i am still a novice to most of this lol :think: :wacko:

I would double check, it's been a long time since I used my Vag com, that's why I'm asking if my cable will still work (not used it in years!) All I would do is just download latest version of software.

the cable entitles you to use the software. Since you can only use the software with the cable, in theory it doesn't matter how many computers you install the software on, it can only be used on one machine at any given time.

3.7 How do I permanently move VAG-COM from one PC to another?
All of our Current Interfaces have Activation built-in, so you can download and install VAG-COM onto as many PC's as you'd like, so VAG-COM is fully Registered and Activated once you test it on a car.

dont forget import duty and taxes

I must admit out of all the items I have purchase from abroad I have only once been asked to pay import tax and VAT. That was on an expensive (£400) model tank kit from Hong Kong. Even then it still worked out around £150 cheaper than I could have bought the same model in the UK.

I always take the import tax and VAT into account when comparing prices when I buy from abroad and if I'm not asked to pay it, then that's a bonus.

The other thing that I would add is that the latest versions of the software require a genuine cable as the licence is in the cable.

I have bought two cables direct from Ross-Tech and the service has been fantastic.

Just watch out the the handling charges that the courier (I think they use Fed-Ex) tries to add to the VAT fee.

Paul