Used A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line - Buying tips & issues?

gti25

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here so thought it time to say Hi!

Have just placed a deposit on an 05 reg A3 TDI 37k miles with the s-line pack, DSG box and Bose, PDC etc... Like the car a lot and the DSG, but am moving from a BMW 330Ci Clubsport so I think I may miss the performance a bit , but not the fuel bills! Previously had a Golf Anniversary so am back in the VAG fold again :)

Anyway the car has a couple of months Audi warranty left (I am purchasing from an independent small dealer). The test drive and a check over by my relatively untrained eye didn't spot any obvious areas for concern (body damage etc...)

Are there any specific things that I need to check for on the car? If so I can hopefully get them checked out and fixed under warranty before it runs out...

Thanks, gti25

monitor the coolant level carefully , cylinder heads can go porous. ours did at about your mileage. new head required!
The level only dropped slowly but low coolant would come on about every 10 days, add half a pint wait 10 days light on again.

Thanks treblesykes. Will keep a close eye on that! Leaking radiators seem to be an issue for some as well...

Do you know if it is something that Audi admit liability for in/out of warranty? I wonder if it was a certain batch of cars?

re occuring problems with mine have been dodgy steering racks (They make a grinding ish sound and give very inconsistent power support at parking speeds) Xenon headlamps not auto levelling and wheel bearings (13 so far)

treblesykes said:
monitor the coolant level carefully , cylinder heads can go porous. ours did at about your mileage. new head required!
The level only dropped slowly but low coolant would come on about every 10 days, add half a pint wait 10 days light on again.

The latest copy of 'AUDI Driver' magazine, available for you to read free in WHSmiths (why the hell don't they provide a row of chairs? lol) has an article in the Technical View page on coolant loss etc in the tdi. From memory I think the problems were cured around 2005. I may be wrong there but you may be interested in reading it. The Technical View page is a mine of useful information each month.

Possibly as mine is an Sept 04

Xenons have been fine
leather like new after 52,000
no wheel bearings

warranty jobs:-
cyl head as mentioned
hinge broke off parcel shelf
clip broke off armrest lid
symphony swallowed all my cds and had to be replaced (error 3)
chrome peeled off grill surround

No longer mine come 1st Mar. Lets see if a Freelander 2 can be as reliable!

Cheers for the replies so far. V.helpful :)

Will def. check out Audi Driver and see what it has to say re: the head. The car has not got the Symphony changer headunit or Xenons, so that is two less things I have to worry about going wrong!

we've had our's a month now - it has 54K on it no xenons but does have rain sensor pack and auto lights.

MPG is not great compared to my 8L A3 (with 90K on clock) but so far mid 40's - check fuel filter had been changed - mine hadn't

Crash sensor replaced under warranty
Paint blemishes will be done this week.

make sure DSG gearbox gets a service - it's due at your next one

other than that it goes like a train and is a pleasure to drive (when i'm allowed!!)

we bought ours from Audi as a guaranteed used car - so it is mint.

Try and ask the previous owner about oil consumption.
The dealer won't tell the truth, so only the previous owner can help, really.
Some, like mine, can drink the stuff.
It's quite expensive too.
I feel like hiding a note in mine, somewhere, warning prospective owners about it.
Somewhere the lease company won't find it.

Thanks for the replies... Keep 'em coming!

Just called up the last Audi stealer in Kent that sold the car previously to check the history. It was serviced by them at 16000 and had another service at another main dealer at 29000 according to the book...

Cheers sprout99, I have now realised about the need for the 40k DSG oil change as well! Asked the lady how much that would be and she said £271+ VAT !!! :( That was a kick square in the nads I can tell you! It sounds a bit much compared to what other people have been paying??? Is she quoting me for a full 40k service? Should have factored that into the deal really shouldn't I! Oh well...

Said that the porous cylinder head was an issue on some A4's but not the A3 ... err OK, so they use a different tdi unit in the A4 to the A3???! I think not!? :)

luckily our has had it's DSG service -i hope that price is service including DSG or our lass will be working the streets to pay for that !!

Picked up the car yesterday...! V. Happy so far and I am pleasantly surprised by the performance :)

I had a feeling that it would feel sluggish after to the BMW, but in everyday driving it is fine and has enough punch for overtaking etc + DIS is showing 45-50mpg most of the time! The BMW was certainly quicker and v.smooth but it wasn't always that usable and had a big appetite for the go juice...

Extras fitted:

Bose speaker system with Concert CD... Sounds great!
Auto Lights
Cruise Control
Heated Seats
PDC
GSM Bluetooth phone pack
Armrest
Haven't found anything else yet...

Looking dirty already :( Will try and get some pics up soon...

Grsat post as i'm looking to buy a car just like yours!

On a side note with it remapped will it stay with or be quicker then a 170?

adigraham said:
Grsat post as i'm looking to buy a car just like yours!

On a side note with it remapped will it stay with or be quicker then a 170?

Probably about the same. However, it will be noisier, less refined and probably use large amounts of engine oil.
Better to buy the real thing!

Twizzler said:
Probably about the same. However, it will be noisier, less refined and probably use large amounts of engine oil.
Better to buy the real thing!

Rubbish! Have you driven a mapped 140? Mine is even on performance terms with my mates 170, perhaps fractionally quicker but thats difficult to say for sure driving on the road. It doesnt use anymore oil than prior to being mapped. Has always used around 1 litre per 6000 miles.

There is no difference in noise or refinement terms and non of the DPF issues that a lot of 170's suffer from. Insurance is also cheaper as Norwich Union didnt want any extra for the car being mapped.

I was all set for buying a 140 and then having it remapped but ended up with a 170 as when I drove it found it quick enough and also its quieter than the 140.

Plus I was also a bit wary about remapping the car and possibly voiding the warranty if something went wrong with the engine and the map was detected.

when driven in 'sport' mode it's like a wild animal.

i drove 170 Vrs Octavia and thought it was nice but we decided to saty with Audi and got the 140 (ish :) DSG S LINE

Upsolute quote the 140 remapped as

175BHP

395Nm

more torque and more power than 170 so it can't be slower ? I would say more equal but with more useable poke and a lot cheaper than 170