A3 GSM phone preparation on dashboard!?!

robomonkey

Reaction score
Hi All, forum newbie!

Just ordered a new A3 Sline 140 TDI Sportback :)

I was in a bit of a rush to order (its a company car) and ticked a few extras without fully knowing what one of them was :faint: , that is the GSM phone preparation on dashboard, now I assume this is a carkit, but I don't actually know what it'll do. i.e. is it:- bluetooth or hardwired? and what does it look like? can anyone post a picture, googling doesn't throw anything up is it some sort of universal bracket.

Ta

This is one of the phone brackets fitted to an A4 but it gives you the idea. It will be hardwired and give bluetooth connectability.

blimey, that looks pretty big!

I have the MFSW but not the nav system, as I'll use tomtom on the phone, so its prolly not a bad thing. I assume only Audi brackets will fit onto that bracket?

Putting the cost aside, is the general opinion they are worth having or should I try and change it and get a standard bracket retro fitted? I intened to use an E65 but would like charging and to have it visable on the dash for tomtom

robomonkey said:
Hi All, forum newbie!

Just ordered a new A3 Sline 140 TDI Sportback :)

I was in a bit of a rush to order (its a company car) and ticked a few extras without fully knowing what one of them was :faint: , that is the GSM phone preparation on dashboard, now I assume this is a carkit, but I don't actually know what it'll do. i.e. is it:- bluetooth or hardwired? and what does it look like? can anyone post a picture, googling doesn't throw anything up is it some sort of universal bracket.

Ta

I'm new here, but have had a few A3's. The dash mounting is not needed if you have a bluetooth phone, better to have the armrest option as the fascia mount is really rather ugly. Can you alter it if you are quick>

Yer, I expect I can still alter it, but I would still want to have some sort of dash mount so I can use tomtom on the phone.

And I plan to get the Denison ipod link into the armrest.

Hmmm, I don't know what to do for the best.

Interior3.jpg

That is the A3 dash mount as it came in my car. The armrest option wasnt available when we ordered.

Change the order now!

The dashmount ruins the look of your car and you won't get a cradle for your phone. The cradle fits onto the ugly dashmount bracket and they can only supply cradles for obsolete phones. If you want GSM prep go for the armrest fitting. This gives you bluetooth for your own phone but no charging.

I bought a cradle for a Motorola V500 and managed to buy the phone from an obscure supplier. It sits in the cradle attached to the phone prep, it charges and uses the shark fin on the roof for connection. I leave it in the car as a second phone. It works very well.

Is'nt anyone listenning to robomonkey? He needs to have the phone dashmounted and within easy arms reach to be able to use it with his Tomtom. So having it dash mounted is probably the best option, especially as he has also stated that he intends on using his armrest for his denison ipod link!

I have the dashmount version and although I totally agree it is ugly, It is probably the more practical option if you use your car and phone for business as I do.

Although robomonkey, I'm not sure you can get an adaptor for your E65 phone. The manufacturers (www.cullmann.de) who make the phone systems have recently been bought out and are now called Paragon. Lets hope they do a better job at producing cradles for phones that were not around in the 90's!

Here is a link for Audi cradles available
http://www.paragon-online.de/en/uploads/_dokumente/Audi_Handy_Adapter_without%20direct%20help_GB.pdf

Yeh. That dashmount looks useful to me. Ugly it may be, but if you didn't have RNS and had a TomTom or similar it would make a pretty good mounting point.

Twizzler said:
Yeh. That dashmount looks useful to me.
But only if your phone is one of the (very short list of) models that you can get a cradle for. For most people the phone mount is an ugly and useless eyesore - check the list of available cradles NOW, while you can still change your order.

Twizzler said:
Yeh. That dashmount looks useful to me. Ugly it may be, but if you didn't have RNS and had a TomTom or similar it would make a pretty good mounting point.

I have the dash mount and it is ugly , i would rip it out if it didn't leave a HUGE hole there, as i use the bluetooth on my phone!

I have a Navman satnav , where/how would i go about getting a cradle for the satnav/phone prep?

Thanks

p

Heh, thanks for the help guys, i've decided to leave it on, but you're right I cant get an adaptor for the E65, I'll have to think about a new phone :)

robomonkey said:
Heh, thanks for the help guys, i've decided to leave it on, but you're right I cant get an adaptor for the E65, I'll have to think about a new phone :)

I have an 6 month old unlocked Nokia 6230i (And original box!) together with an Audi cradle if anyone wants to make me an offer? Just send me a pm