Arrrgh A3 fails first MOT

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm a bit pi55ed off.

Took the A3 for it's first MOT free at Audi Portsmouth and it failed.

The light switch isn't indicating the the fogs are on, of course they haven't got one in stock. So I've got to take it back on Wednesday when hopefully they will have one in stock.

To make matters worse I get home and there waiting is a mailer from Audi about Audi MOT tests, the line "The difference between a pass and a distinction" as the catch statement on the front. On the back "our technicians can - if necessary - make fine adjustments or replace parts from stock, keeping possible delays and hassle to an absolute minimum."

Oh the irony - I will take that with me on Wednesday and give the service advisor a laugh.

Paul

It is a well known fact that main dealers will fail cars more than an independant.
Bad luck! Still, it's not much is it!

My car failed first MOT - its different over here in NI as we have to go to MOT centres - we cannot go to the dealers or a garage!

My car failed on light level, which was apparently set that morning - i was not pleased in the slightest!

My 8L S3 failed it's first MOT too...
1 x worn out bottom ball joint
3 x worn out suspension bushes
1 x cracked and leaking fuel filter.

Not impressed...but it too was covered by warranty.

I know mine was an 8L, but I had lightswitch issues too...it used to pop apare and leave the front foglights on with no indication (I never used the front fogs)
Perhaps try giving the switch a damn good bang, mine used to snap back together, curing the problem.

Take the fog lights out :) That'll confuse the dealer

mind you, asking them what time of day it is confuses them too

Yes but rear fogs are a requirement in the UK :blownose:

To make matters worse, when I got home I went to fit my new UltraLeggera Alloys to find that the wheel and locking bolts supplied were miles too short.

The wheel bolts by 5mm and the lockers by 10mm. The first indication I got was when the locker stripped off in the hub, luckily it was only the very end of the thread and my mate was able to clean the hub thread. Otherwise I'd be looking at a new hub.

So all in not a happy bunny.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Yes but rear fogs are a requirement in the UK :blownose:

To make matters worse, when I got home I went to fit my new UltraLeggera Alloys to find that the wheel and locking bolts supplied were miles too short.

The wheel bolts by 5mm and the lockers by 10mm. The first indication I got was when the locker stripped off in the hub, luckily it was only the very end of the thread and my mate was able to clean the hub thread. Otherwise I'd be looking at a new hub.

So all in not a happy bunny.

Paul

Surely a sign from above... gods like that he hates non OEM stuff :p

Gti Jazz Blue said:

Threadjack, but do you have any pics of said ultraleggeras?

There's a debate going on between us and the leasing company, as to whether my car should be MOT'd by us or them.
We're hoping it's them, as it isn't going to pass.
Horrendous grinding from the front, bearing/CV joint related.

Actually, I've just thought of something.
Maybe I should put it into the dealer for an MOT.
If they fail it for the grinding noise, I can then ask them why they couldn't find any fault two weeks ago...:asskicking: :no:

bowfer said:
There's a debate going on between us and the leasing company, as to whether my car should be MOT'd by us or them.
We're hoping it's them, as it isn't going to pass.
Horrendous grinding from the front, bearing/CV joint related.

Actually, I've just thought of something.
Maybe I should put it into the dealer for an MOT.
If they fail it for the grinding noise, I can then ask them why they couldn't find any fault two weeks ago...:asskicking: :no:

Exactly my plan, Mine needs at least 1 , possibly 2 wheel bearings, I KNOW the dealer will deny anything is wrong (They already have for one wheel) so let them look at the MOT then ask why when my lease company is paying, have they managed to find a fault

Muppets

Gti Jazz Blue said:
I'm a bit pi55ed off.

The light switch isn't indicating the the fogs are on, of course they haven't got one in stock.

Interesting! I just noticed that my switch doesn't show if the DLR and/or main beam are on. The first position on the right hand side (DLR) is not illuminated at all and the second one (main beam) is always illuminated red but I am sure it used to change to green when the main lights were actually on. I have auto-lights, but it doesn't matter whether it's set at auto or whether I switch the lights on manually, the illumination on the switch remains the same.

The fog indicators do change color when you switch the fogs on, so at least part of it is working. I wonder if the switch assembly itself is defective or whether it is some obscure setting I can change with VAG-COM? When I bought the car the main beam was always switched on (in anticipation of upcoming European legislation I presume). That disappointed me, since it made the auto-lights pretty pointless so I changed it with VAG-COM... I wonder if that also changed the behavior of the switch. Maybe I should try setting everything back at the original factory setting and see if that brings the leds in the light switch back to life....

Gti Jazz Blue said:

Thanks for the link. I'm more interested in seeing how they look on the 8P A3. I'm afraid the thin spokes would look a little out of place on the car, but we'll have to wait and see.

Nice choice btw, nice to see someone choosing lightweight wheels over the normal offerings.

marriedblonde said:
Does the switch normally then? I thought you just pulled the switch out...

And when you do, the red illumination changes to green for the front fog and yellow for the rear fog position (it could be the other way round)

synthdood said:
And when you do, the red illumination changes to green for the front fog and yellow for the rear fog position (it could be the other way round)

Does it, by jingo.
Never get occasion to use 'em.
When we do get fog, I'm in a queue of traffic.
People in front always think they need their's though, when they're only 8 feet in front of me...:scared2:

The odd thing is that the Leds do go out when you pull the switch each position, but you have to have a positive indication that they are on. A negative indication i.e. the LED symbols going off isn't sufficient.

I checked with my best mate as he is an MOT tester and yes it states that you have to have an indication (visual) that they are on.

And yes I did go for the UL for performance and handling more than looks. Having said that they are a very fine looking wheel in the flesh.

Paul

marriedblonde said:
Does the switch normally then? I thought you just pulled the switch out...

Does that mean that it has never done so ? Or just that you either never used the fogs or noticed before.

Paul

Cough .... Radio Keys .... Cough

Do you know you ALMOST got a visit from me last night on the way back from my parents but she who must be obeyed had called to tell me I was running late and my dinner was ready and would be getting cold if I failed to come home. (Followed by "you can cook the dinner next sunday" - take away it is then :) )

I must have pulled on the switch to know that you needed to pull the knob but I left the lights in auto and I dont think you can use the fogs like that? So wouldn't have used them.

You're right. It's red illumination when the fog lights are off and Green for the front fogs and Yellow for the rear fog light. And the switch must be either the parking light or main light position to be able to pull it out to get either fog lights to work.

The last point about the switch having to be in the parking lights or main lights position to switch either fog lights on has always seem an excellent idea to to me. At least it means it's impossible to forget to switch them off when they have been used. It's a pity more manufactures don't adopt the same system. I'm sure some drivers switch on their rear fog lights at the first sign of mist or fog and then they stay on for months!!

Right all done turned out to be a chaffed wire by the fuse box and not the switch. So I now have an MOT till 05/03/09.

It must have been the supply to switch the colour of the LEDS when they are switched on.

All in very good service from Audi Portsmouth. Just a shame that they didn't have a switch in stock in the first place. Oh well I guess they will now.

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Right all done turned out to be a chaffed wire by the fuse box and not the switch. So I now have an MOT till 05/03/09.

It must have been the supply to switch the colour of the LEDS when they are switched on.

All in very good service from Audi Portsmouth. Just a shame that they didn't have a switch in stock in the first place. Oh well I guess they will now.

Paul

Glad to hear it's been fixed.

Can somebody confirm that the colour of the parking light and main beam indicator leds are supposed to change colour when they are switched on? I remember that they do, but I don't trust my memory all that much. Just want to be sure before I start taking things apart or take it to the dealer.

Can somebody confirm that the colour of the parking light and main beam indicator leds are supposed to change colour when they are switched on? I remember that they do, but I don't trust my memory all that much. Just want to be sure before I start taking things apart or take it to the dealer

No the sidelight and main headlight indicators in the lighting switch do not change colour. They are both blank with no illumination when the light are off and the sidelight indicator is green and the main headlights is red when the lights are turned on. The AUTO indicator changes from red to orange when that position is selected if you have auto lights fitted.

h5djr said:
No the sidelight and main headlight indicators in the lighting switch do not change colour. They are both blank with no illumination when the light are off and the sidelight indicator is green and the main headlights is red when the lights are turned on. The AUTO indicator changes from red to orange when that position is selected if you have auto lights fitted.

Thanks.

In my switch the sidelight indicator is never illuminated. I am sure I used to see a different color there. That must have been the permanent green. I think I'll have to take the switch out. Sounds like a busted LED or bad connection to me and that should be easy enough to fix.