EM TuningBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Sport suspension or not

Hi

I'm in the process of speccing options for my new companty car, an A3 SE sportback. I was thinking of going for the sports suspension, but all the reviews say how overly firm it is, although it is supposed to tighten the handling up considerably. It seems that it is a little softer on the sportback than on the 3 door.

Although most of my driving will be motorway, I do enjoy a swift blast through the twisty country lanes. So my questions are:

1, Is the sports suspension really that firm and 'jarring'. I do upwards of 3000 miles a month and if it is too firm its gonna start to physically hurt.
    2, Is the standard suspension, that bad. I do look for a rewarding drive (was going to go for a 118D just for its handling, but could'nt get the spec options i needed and stay within budget) and I would be gutted if I ordered the standard setup only to find it that it felt like someone had swapped the wheels for spacehoppers.

Ohhh, and on a side note: I'd be really interested in what standard Audi 17" rims and what colours you guys think looks best on the sportback. I've seen a few 3 doors in white and they look great, but I think that the 5 door may look a bit tooooo fleet car in white.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments that you can give.
    Last edited by zack1uk; 15th February 2008 at 11:25.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    IMO, sports suspension is a must.
    I've driven all A3 suspension types.
    There are three types

1/SE (soft and high)
    2/Sports (harder and lowered)
    3/S-line (even harder and even lower)

I find the SE lacks body control.
    S-line has good body control, but a kidney pounding ride.
    Sports suspension is probably the best compromise.

With regard to colour, I'd say go for black.
    My Sportback is Akoya silver, which I loved at the time.
    Unfortunately, it's also a colour you get tired of.
    It's also very, very, common.
    Black, IMO, never looks tired.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

With regard to colour, I'd say go for black.
    My Sportback is Akoya silver, which I loved at the time.
    Unfortunately, it's also a colour you get tired of.
    It's also very, very, common.
    Black, IMO, never looks tired.
    The only trouble with Black at the moment is that, certainly down her in England, just about every newish A3 you see is Black. It's become so common!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    The only trouble with Black at the moment is that, certainly down her in England, just about every newish A3 you see is Black. It's become so common!
    It would appear that black is the new black....

Neutral

Status
    Mine is Lava Grey and I kinda like this colour - it looks almost black in bright sunlight but it is a little different from all the black A3's out there...

Just my 2p worth ... not wishing to knock anyone with a black car.
    2007 Lava grey, A3, 2.0 140 TDI, Sportsback, S-Line, Cruise Control (Retro Fit)

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by zack1uk
    Ohhh, and on a side note: I'd be really interested in what standard Audi 17" rims and what colours you guys think looks best on the sportback. I've seen a few 3 doors in white and they look great, but I think that the 5 door may look a bit tooooo fleet car in white.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments that you can give.
    The best looking 17" rims are the '5-spoke star' design , IMO.

Regarding colour, it's down to personal preference. I think the A3 looks best in any of the lighter colours (or red), since in profile, they highlight the lines of the car against the dark(ish) side windows. A lot of people like black or 'slagheap grey', but personally I think it looks horrible !

Someone living near me has got a Sportback in white, with the panoramic sunroof, and it looks terrific.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Someone living near me has got a Sportback in white, with the panoramic sunroof, and it looks terrific.
    Yep, they do because the open-sky looks black from the outside. The silver A3 with open-sky also looks great too. With hindsight I would have ordered that.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    If ever there was a 'now' colour, it's white.
    Buy one at your peril, IMO.
    IMO, you can only really follow 'trends' in car colour if you can afford not to care about resale.
    If resale means nowt to you, go for yellow/orange/white/hawaiian magenta/cranberry crush.
    If you do care about resale, avoid them.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    If ever there was a 'now' colour, it's white.
    Buy one at your peril, IMO.
    IMO, you can only really follow 'trends' in car colour if you can afford not to care about resale.
    If resale means nowt to you, go for yellow/orange/white/hawaiian magenta/cranberry crush.
    If you do care about resale, avoid them.
    Dead on!
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    I dont care about resale value :D

Hence, Im waiting on white.

2nd Gear

Status
    Nothing wrong with that attitude either. As long as you accept that this is what what you want and appreciate you will receive a lower return at resale then you are free to enjoy your choice. Life isn't just about getting a return. Enjoyment is paramount. We only live our life once.

6th Gear

Status
    I don't have to worry about resale either (company car), but I would still urge caution over 'trendy' colours.
    Akoya was dead trendy when I ordered my car, and I liked it.
    Just like oddball stretch jeans, it doesn't take long for 'oh yes' to become 'oh god'...
    I recently questioned my choice of black for my D3, when I saw a lovely looking grey one in the showroom.
    My wife, quite rightly, pointed out I would tire of grey quicker than black.

4th Gear

Status
    Best way to see colours and wheel combos is have a look at the used section on the Audi UK site. I have a silver SB with 17" stars and think that looks good.

Would be worth you taking a test drive in the various suspension set-ups so you can contrast them.

I have driven all three and have and SE. I'm not an aggressive driver and it is fine for what I want out of the car but if you press it it does lack body control, however my Father thinks it is way too hard!

I personally found the Sport too hard.

I had an Sline on loan for a week. IMHO the body control is excellent but I would class the ride as abysmal. The ride is way too firm and constantly jiggling, jarring all the time, very fidgety. On the motorway I guess it would be ok but not for normal driving where I live since it is way too hard and in my view unacceptable. Over speed bumps you feel like you are in Barney Rubble's bedrock mobile. I wouldn't want to woof my breakfast down and then go into town in it!

At the end of the day there is no right answer, we all want our cars to be different things, you just need to decide which set-up is right for you and really the only way is to try a Sport and SE back to back.
    Sportback

I completely agree with cdb2. I have had many (8L) A3 1.8T Sports with the sports suspension in the past but with the current 8P A3 I also much prefer the SE suspension and so do my passengers. My previous A3 140 had 16" wheels and my current 170 Sportback has the 17" 16-spoke design. I thing it feels slightly better on the 17"s. May be the slightly wider tyres.

But as he says the suspension set-up is a very personal thing and depends on how you drive as to the importance of ride against handling. The SE is adequate for my driving and I find it much more comfortable, especially for long journeys.

But the important thing is to drive a car with or 3 types that are available and decide which YOU prefer.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    I had an Sline on loan for a week. IMHO the body control is excellent but I would class the ride as abysmal. The ride is way too firm and constantly jiggling, jarring all the time, very fidgety. On the motorway I guess it would be ok
    You notice the extra hard suspension on the M-way too.
    You notice you are constantly on the move.
    It reminds me of when old minis were on the road, with their rubber cone suspension.
    You used to notice, even on a smooth road, the driver was constantly on the move!

Reverse Gear

Status

sports suspension

i have an a3 with the sports suspension and my brother has one with the s-line i find the s-line way to hard so defenatly the sports suspension is the one to go for. when chosing ur rims bear in mind the colour of the car personally i think the rs 4 or the rs 6 18 inch look impresive on and a3.

Reverse Gear

Status
    if ur going to get a dark coulour i think the crome roof rails look fab on it

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Fit? Fa? Bowfer mate when are you taking delivery of your Beemer? Are you thinking about getting it remapped? How come you Aberdeen boys never done the business for us last Sunday? Fit like?
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers
    Fit? Fa? Bowfer mate when are you taking delivery of your Beemer? Are you thinking about getting it remapped? How come you Aberdeen boys never done the business for us last Sunday? Fit like?
    Just waiting for the tax disc, so next week I think.
    Can't get it remapped (none available), but a tune-it box seems to be highly regarded on the Alpina forum.
    I'm sceptical of plug in boxes though.

We were saving ourselves for the Bayern game last night...
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 15th February 2008 at 15:47.