Newbie with A3 heated mirror Q!!

eef2u

Reaction score
Hey
Just bought a A3 2.0 Tdi a few days ago and just noticed it doesnt have heated mirrors which has been bugging me style that last few days. Can anyone tell me is it possible to have heated mirrors fitted etc. I'm currently in Dublin but my time is divided between Dublin and Newry - so also hoping to meet with people for car advice etc - also just wondering are there many girlies on the forum???

Thanks

Aoife

eef2u said:
Hey
Just bought a A3 2.0 Tdi a few days ago and just noticed it doesnt have heated mirrors which has been bugging me style that last few days. Can anyone tell me is it possible to have heated mirrors fitted etc. I'm currently in Dublin but my time is divided between Dublin and Newry - so also hoping to meet with people for car advice etc - also just wondering are there many girlies on the forum???

Thanks

Aoife
Welcome to the forum Aoife. Always nice to have another Irish person on the forum.

I believe it should be possible to retrofit the heated mirrors to the A3. I'm sure one of the other members can confirm.

Best of luck with the new car!

You may already have heated mirrors, just turn on your heated rear window, wait 5 minutes and feel the mirror glass for warmth, most cars also have heated washer jets but they just don't tell us !

Hiya

Another girly here, the forum is def full of blokes.... nice to see another girl who likes cars!

:icon_thumright:

I have heated mirors, but Ive just thought... seing as though my car is either driving or garaged, when I would actually get to 'use' them.

Arent they only of use in say, snow??

eef2u said:
Hey

Thanks

Aoife

How old is your car? You sure your mirrors arent heated already?

If your sure you dont have them then you may find that the wiring is already present, you will just need to swop the mirror glasses for those which have a heated element in. I did this for my dad's old A4. Cost was under £50 IIRC.

If you have the mirror contol set to the middle position they come on automatically below a certain temperature. Come in handy every morning this week as been a bit of frost on the car!

Matt said:
If you have the mirror contol set to the middle position they come on automatically below a certain temperature. Come in handy every morning this week as been a bit of frost on the car!

They do if you have heated mirrors! Audi were a bit tight with these a couple of years ago as they were an option on many models. Whereas today they are standard on far more models.

Matt said:
They come on automatically below 5 degrees (if the frost symbol is in your DIS they'll be on). You can also turn them on manually by turning the mirror control to the centre and pushing forward.

They're very handy. I didn't have them on my first A3, but had them on the car before that. Made sure to add them when I ordered my current A3.

Hey Guys - thanks for all the replies!
I've tried to see if they would work with the heated rear window on, with no success. My car is a 06, I have the mirror control set to the middle position and dont heat up. Only have the car a week or so and i've really missed the mirrors this week with all the frost and fog i've been encountering!

So I've obviously got the 'tight' version of audi huh! I guess i'll have check to see if i have the wiring and go from there! Can you guys recommend where i should get the heated mirrors if i do have the wiring pre-installed??

You may have the wiring but unless you have the mirror glass with the heated element you won't get them to work.

If you have the wire, the glass can be sourced from any VW\Audi\Seat\Skoda dealer, or online - try VAGParts.com (15% discount for forum members.).

VAGParts have the standard heated glass at GBP£18.42 each or the blindspot ones for £26.50 each plus shipping.

When I picked up my latest A3 I broke the passenger side glass while fitting my S3 mirror caps. Think it cost me about 34-ish euro for the standard heated glass from Park Motors' parts dept.

Think you also need to do some VAG-COM coding to enable the heated mirrors. If you don't have access to this I can sort you out.

MarcQuinlivan said:
Think you also need to do some VAG-COM coding to enable the heated mirrors. If you don't have access to this I can sort you out.

Doubtful. I cannot recall a specific coding/adaption change for these.

Didnt need it when I did this to an A4. Just plugged in the new glasses and all was well.

Well I stand corrected! I never coded mine when I upgraded to auto-dimming mirrors either and they have worked flawlessly since I fitted them. Maybe that just tells the car/ECU they are fitted as oposed to actually enabling their operation?

Issac Hunt said:
Well I stand corrected! I never coded mine when I upgraded to auto-dimming mirrors either and they have worked flawlessly since I fitted them. Maybe that just tells the car/ECU they are fitted as oposed to actually enabling their operation?
Unless your car was already coded for them? I would assume the coding tells the car to send current down the wire - but maybe not.

It never came from the factory with auto-dim so I dont think the car would have coded for them would it? I fitted them before I got my VAG-COM cable so I defintley didnt do any coding and they were operational straight away. Strange!