Black Optic grill

byrnie

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2007 S3 and am new to all this Audi stuff. Can somebody please tell me how much to supply and fit the Black optic grill. I presume it replaces all the chrome? Thanks a lot.

See my posts on this stuff on below link.

You'll get S3 Black Optik grill (not S-Line) from e-bay Germany. Just look around. They go for 100euros or £75. Expect average £30 p+p and then after that do the bumper off thing and easy to fit.

Otherwise Audi will charge you about £230 unfitted I think and I'm sure you are aware its a £300 cost at build. Do yourself a favour and buy from Germany and on the car under half price.

Jas

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50537

JimmyJames said:
See my posts on this stuff on below link.

You'll get S3 Black Optik grill (not S-Line) from e-bay Germany. Just look around. They go for 100euros or £75. Expect average £30 p+p and then after that do the bumper off thing and easy to fit.

Otherwise Audi will charge you about £230 unfitted I think and I'm sure you are aware its a £300 cost at build. Do yourself a favour and buy from Germany and on the car under half price.

Jas

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50537

Have you got any links JimmyJames for the seller you bought from?

Thanks

p

phantom said:
Have you got any links JimmyJames for the seller you bought from?

Thanks

p

Phantom.
This is the guy i purchased from but hes got nothing up on e-bay at the moment. Check his feedback you'll see he sells lots of Audi gear and particularly grills. Hes in Ingolstat so hes either a supplier or has a link to Audi. Grill came in Audi marked box with plenty protection/packaging. Keep yer eye out but there are other sellers for S3 Black Optiks. When i went for mine there were 3 seperate German sellers. Check out Austria too.

Jas.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=dkw1984&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

Nice one! Just the info I was after :)

I'm thinking of changing my grill to a black one, not sure yet though lol

Thanks!

Ive just ordered one , is there a fitting guide anywhere?

Is it easy to fit?

Thanks

p

phantom said:
Ive just ordered one , is there a fitting guide anywhere?

Is it easy to fit?

Thanks

p

Phantom,
There are guides on here somewhere. Do a search I'm sure theres one (headlamp removal) that gives how to remove bumper.

Also h5djr (Dave R) sent me on instructions too.Hes the man

It is easy so if you pm me your e-mail I'll do a how to from my experience. Give me a day though busy tonight.

Jas

^^^^^^^^^^^^Cheers mate i'll pm you!

I'll put it up in the how to section as well.

Thanks

p

How do I look up the grill in the german ebay? I dont speak german other than "frankfurter" :(

To Phantom and all interested.
Heres my own experience of bumper removal and grill swap.

Tools required:-:readit:

1. Patience,
2. The odd skint knuckles/back of the hand.
3. T-20/T25/-T30 Torx fittings or similar.
4. 10mm socket.
5. Ratchet drive and extensions.
6. Phillips screwdriver.

Ok. Park car and place something soft (Mat/dust sheet etc) in front of car

Number Plate.
Remove number plate as the screws secure the grill to the cross bar of bumper. (Which you can't see at this point) Trust me. It caught me at the grill removal point mentioned below so do it 1st.

Bonnet up.
Remove 3 x torx screws along top of grill.

Under Bumper (thats you lying on the deck looking towards the rear).
Remove 7 x torx screws along length of bumper. there are 4 i think visible and another 3 behind bumper edge/under engine tray valance.

Wheel arch (you can do this with wheels still on).
Full lock steering. The side your working on should have wheel pointing in.
Remove 3 vertical torx screws.(at edge)
Remove 2 horizontal torx screws. (Where inner plastic wings meet.)
Peel/push back inner plastic wing. (Scrape/score rear of hands).
Looking up between wing and bumper feel for two longer torx screws and remove same.
Looking in towards edge of lamp unit locate and remove 10mm bolt that sits at bottom edge of lamp unit to wing/bumper.(You'll probably need the extension bar on the ratchet to reach)
Pop side of bumper away from wing.(Quite easy)
Repeat for other side of car.

Front of car.
With your mat/soft area in place.
You can now withdraw bumper/grill from car and let it sit in front of car attached by the headlamp washer hoses and fog lamp wiring.
NOTE due to the ease of the S3 grill fitting at this point. You do not unless you want to have to remove either the headlamp washers fittings or the fog lamps couplers.

Grill.
Working where bumper placed and looking down behind bumper/grill.
There are 13 phillips screws.
Remove 3 at each side.
Remove 3 along bottom.
Remove 4 (2 at either side of number plate crossbar)
Depress 1 clip (2 off) at either end of number plate crossbar.
Depress 1 clip (2 off) at top side corners of grill.
Depress 1 clip (2 off) at top of grill near to outside edges where you removed 2 torx screws at the bonnet up part mentioned above.

Remove Grill from car. TA DA. :thumbsup:

NOTE. Before you do it all in reverse.Fit your silver vision or equivalent indicator bulbs while all this is off. Thats what i did anyway. You find it easy.

Refit all in reverse of above and thats it.

New Optik grill on car and you should have saved yourself at least £180 or so.:)

Jas.:o.k:

will the S3 grill fit the S line ? just looking at a previous post the s line might clip in where as the s3 seems to screw in ?

Can't say for sure the S3 grill will fit S-line bumper. But i can confirm for sure having fitted both that after bumper off part, the S3 grill is a scoosh due to screws but the S-line grill is all clips all the way around and needs more fingers than you've got to get them all suffiently popped to remove it.

I used a dremel multi tool to skim off a few heads of the significant clips on the old grill coming out of the S-Line to free it. Once i had done that the S-line black Optik grill just clipped back in no problem.

Jas