Stereo Removal

Andy_C

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i need some help removing my Concert stereo from my Audi A3 2.0 TDI what keys do i need and how does it come out?? and help would be brillant!!

I removed the concert stereo from my b5 with a pair of sony keys that were lying around, took a bit of wiggling but I didn't damage anything, just pushed them in until a felt a click and hey presto the HU just slid right out. You should be able to buy a set of audi keys from most car audio retailers, they'll be able to order them in. Have you tried an audi dealership? Also keep a note of the wiring diagram so to make it easier when you're wiring up a new HU. Mine was in German abbreviations but I found an english translation on the internet.

Also, if you're running new cables, tie all the existing ones together and leave them in. Maybe not speaker cables, but it just makes it easier if youre gonna sell the car on and want to keep your new stereo, all the factory standard cables are still there for you to re-wire.

thanks for that info so it just slides in the sides??? i am going to try this tomorrow as i am fitting a parrot bluetooth kit to the car!! does anyone know what the proper shaped key looks like?? just so i have an idea when i am asking for it??

Not too sure. Never had one. Most head units are a standard size, single DIN or double DIN. with a facia panel over the front. They tend to sit in a metal cage that is clamped to the inside frame of the centre console. The head unit just clips into the metal cage. When you push the keys in they release the catch and the head unit should just slide out. So really, anything that can fit through the holes in the facia panel could unlock the clips. i know some people that just do it with a small screwdriver, but you've just got to be careful not to damage anything. if you can get the right keys and they dont cost much, I reccomend you use them.