ESP Fault, Steering Fault - Re Retro Fit Cruise! Help Please

J7-AUDIA3

Reaction score
Hi guys

I fitted cruise last night and the car itself is not great. Constant ESP error even after driving a few meters (as manual tells you to do). Also the steering wheel alignment I just can't get right.

What can I do? Has anyone else done this?

Any help would be great and even better if I don't need to goto Audi themselves.

Cheers all

J

Are you 100% sure that you got all the connectors fully pushed together when you re-built everything?

You may also need to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor with VAG-COM.

As for getting the steering wheel alignment correct - You did mark it and remove/refit the wheel with it in the straight ahead position didnt you?!

If you didnt then simply drive around to work out which way the wheel needs moving and simply move it around one spline at a time until its lined up correctly.

Try the following.

Start car up.
The fault light will still be up.
Turn steering wheel left fully to stop.
Then turn steering wheel fully to right.
If this does not clear it repeat it.

This should clear the steering angle sensor fault.

Let me know how you get on

Issac Hunt said:
Are you 100% sure that you got all the connectors fully pushed together when you re-built everything?

You may also need to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor with VAG-COM.

As for getting the steering wheel alignment correct - You did mark it and remove/refit the wheel with it in the straight ahead position didnt you?!

If you didnt then simply drive around to work out which way the wheel needs moving and simply move it around one spline at a time until its lined up correctly.

I am 99.9% sure all connectors are plugged in. I am going to strip down again to make sure. I also fitted a new steering wheel ECU so may have disturbed something.

I have tried the re-calibrate feature in Vagcom but it comes back not ok. Need to look into this as to why this is happening.

Yes I marked the wheel and it went back in the same place.

rabs said:
Try the following.

Start car up.
The fault light will still be up.
Turn steering wheel left fully to stop.
Then turn steering wheel fully to right.
If this does not clear it repeat it.

This should clear the steering angle sensor fault.

Let me know how you get on

I have tried this with no joy

Did you re-code the new steering ECU correctly? What coding did you have and what did you change it to? What other VAG-COM coding did you change?

You sure you got the right steering ECU? Whats its part number?

Not saying you have made mistakes, just trying to think of a possible solution for you:icon_thumright:

I did have a slight issue with mine when I fitted cruise.

I followed the Ross-Tech instructions but still had problems.

In the end I found my way round it by powering the ignition off between the two parts of the adaption that you have to do.

So did the first adaption proceedure, ignition off, back on and connected back into the module and did the second proceedure.

Paul

Thanks so far to all those who have helped.

The steering wheel ECU I had was 8P0 953 549 I replaced with the F version.

The coding in (16 Steering Wheel) I used was 0011142 (auto, no multifunction, paddles, on board computer, cruise + wiper)

I have tried all the Ross-Tech coding with no joy.

I have now changed the steering wheel ECU back to my original, then carried out the procedures on ross tech, worked when stiching engine off in between (THANKS GTI JAZZ BLUE)
BUT now I dont have cruise (not that it worked with the new ECU)

All the dash errors have gone, I presume I dont have cruise working because I need the F version ECU.

I have been doing a bit more reseach http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=22590
moogie said:
If you need to buy a new electronics unit, make sure that you buy one that is compatible with your steering wheel slip ring. I spent quite a few hours trying to figure out why my new module didn't work properly, until it was found that it wasn't compatible..

As far as I know, there are two different slip rings:
1K0 959 653 A
1K0 959 653 D

If your steering wheel module (use vag-com to check) is 1K0 959 549 E or F, then you have the D slip ring. If the module is 1K0 959 549 or 1K0 959 549 A, then you have the A slip ring.

The correct replacement modules with cruise functionality are:

8P0 953 549 A (compatible with slip ring 1K0 959 653 A)
8P0 953 549 C, D or F (compatible with slip ring 1K0 959 653 D)

Hope this helps.

Getting a bit complicated now, I have 1K0 959 653 A (slip ring) so I presume I need a new slip ring version D.
Can anyone confirm this?

Do I need to do any coding in the engine section, if so what?

I bought my kit from VAGPARTS and they used the Audi system to check what I required using my VIN number.

Paul

Thinking about it, my official Audi retro-fit kit also included the wire as some cars need a single cable running between two of the connectors.

It's been a while since I fitted mine but I think it was from the steering ECU down the steering column to one of the other connectors. Some of the earlier cars didn't have the cruise wire in the loom.

My 2005 was fine and the cable was already there in the loom.

Good luck.

Paul

I bought the full kit and had to install the wire, I did this with no problems.

I have now got the new ECU installed but i am still getting two errors with vagcom and still NO CRUISE
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - - - MIL ON
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - MIL ON

Like I said before I have tried all the setting procdures as
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_%288P%29_Steering_Assist#Special_Procedures

When I try to
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a s
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".

I get "Not Ok" then "Not possible"

Seems like the slip ring needs replacing with the D version.

Any ideas would be greatfully accepted

As I say been a while since I did mine, I'm pretty sure that you will also need to login to the ECU to enable the cruise.

You will need to adapt the steering though.

I suspect that Sebastian will be able to assist.

You can also post to the VAG-COM mailing list at groups.yahoo.com.

Paul

Just a quick update I have now got it all working, I had not done the coding in the engine 01 module, it didnt help that i was trying to fit cruise and MF at the same time, the error codes i was getting were due to the fact that the slipring i had was not compatible with ECU

Cruise would have worked with my existing ECU 8P0 953 549 and slip ring 1K0 959 653 but i also wanted to fit the MFSW.

After looking into this I had to upgrade the ECU to 8P0 953 549 F and the slip ring to 1K0 959 653 D

Thanks to all those who helped.