Dilemma - TTS or Cayman S

CJP80

Reaction score
Hi,

After owning the S3 for a year and realising the cost of ownership:- 9 tyres, 22.1mpg, etc, I'm in the lucky position to be considering a change of vehicle....does anyone have any experience of the Cayman S?

I'm either going to get a nearly new CS or place an order for the TTS.

Let me know what you would do....

If your going to spend that amount of money then i'd rather have the porcshe than the TT.

CJP80 said:
Hi,

After owning the S3 for a year and realising the cost of ownership:- 9 tyres, 22.1mpg, etc,
How did you manage to go through 9 tyres in a year, how many miles did you cover ? 22.1 mpg you must have been booting it all the time !

Richard

Drove a Cayman S before I confirmed my S3 order, great chassis,great engine,great performence, gorgeous looks but dissapointed with the interior.In the end by the time I specced up a Cayman S it had well exceeded 50K,did not see the Porsche as 20K+ better then the S3,although It may well be a better option than the TTS due to residuals after 3 yrs, for similar cash to the TTS you can buy the standard Cayman,but I suspect you would never be happy and would always wish you had bought the 'S' ( I would). The Porsche is probably a better investment in the long run, I do still hanker after one myself and often look at the used prices but stlll happy with the S3.

Tough decision matey !! Good Luck

Mark

Audi smash porsche out of the water when it comes to interiors. I've driven a Cayman S. I love Audis though, hard. Tuning opportunities are far greater with the turbo

N8KOW said:
I'd rather have a TT-S. Remap and you'll have 320bhp **** all over the cayman

A remapped TT-S with 320bhp wouldnt be faster than a standard cayman.

The cayman has 300bhp anyway, plus its not running 4 wheel drive, and it is also probably quite a bit lighter. They also hang on to their value really well.

how about a 3 series coupe??

TT-S every time (until the TT-RS is on sale...).

N8KOW said:

There speaks an internet expert who has obviously never driven a Cayman.

You'd need nearer 500 BHP to '**** all over' a Cayman with a TT...320 BHP vs 300 ish BHP...that's not ******* over anything.
The driveline losses on the TT negate any gains anyway...

And the chassis on the TT isn't up to that of the Porsche.

The Audi has the better interior.
But what do you want the car for?
To wear like a tarts handbag? Or to drive?

I'd suggest a quick drive in a TT/Cayman would confirm which is the more important, and where your cash should be spent.

And if you have a pulse, and enjoy working a car hard...I'll wager it'll not be the Audi.

N8KOW said:
Audi smash porsche out of the water when it comes to interiors.

If it comes to bling and bells & whistles...then I agree.
They do...

But the Porsche seats are more supportive - but less showy - the pedals are better placed, steering better weighted etc...

The Audi is more showy...it'll impress the chaps down the local winebar more.
The Porsche is more workplace like...it has everything the driver needs and doesn't pander to fashion or onlookers!

Different design ideas completely...
This is by design of course...not by accident.

I've driven a Cayman S. I love Audis though, hard.

No ****?
To the point of being blinkered?
Looks like it, to me.

Tuning opportunities are far greater with the turbo

Ahh...the old 'more power makes a better car' idea.
But the chassis balance and braking will still make the Porsche the more enjoyable (and rewarding) car to drive.

For that kind of money have you considered the new scooby sti wrx version, approaching 300bhp and as much fun as the ones already mentioned without the hefty price tag.

N8KOW said:

Can I have a couple of what youre taking!!!

It would be the Porsche everytime for me, by far a better drivers car, and residuals are rock solid.

Im not saying the TT-s won't be a great car - It will, but it just wont be as good as a Cayman S.

Think I'd have the Cayman S. Not driven either but I bet the Cayman will be the better car

I am sure the TTS will be a superb car, but it is a bit pricey, got to be the Porka for me.

Mark

It all depends what you want out of the car. The cayman is a wonderful car with superb chassis/handling/brakes etc. But performance is .......okay, when I test drove it, I felt like the engine was holding back. Whereas the TT-S with the addition of the remap and 4WD will be superior. Plus if you start tuning it 380bhp wouldn't be hard to achieve. I wasn't tryin to say more power better car etc, the porsche is a better car. But I'd still rather have the TT-S. White roadster is the one

Yeah but, no but. You are purely working on the fact that doing some work on the Audi will make it a better car - which Im afraid I still doubt. The Porshe has one of the best chassis's going - Mid engine'd RWD Porsche againt a front engined, Audi which primarily is front wheel drive, until traction breaks - Both around the 280-300BHP - You do the maths:icon_thumright:
Still its lucky we all think different things or there would be no point in forums:rockwoot:

Not at all. I know about chassis RWD etc. I'm just sayin I'd have the TT. I get bored quickly over power and after a test drive in the cayman I was bored. Supercharger etc is ££££££££sss turbos are cheap....

Can we stop this now, it's got me looking at Caymans on Auto trader again. Dangerous !!

:asskicking: Wife will not be happy !!!

Mark

markwiggy said:
Can we stop this now, it's got me looking at Caymans on Auto trader again. Dangerous !!

:asskicking: Wife will not be happy !!!

Mark

This is what forums are bad at doing, making you spend money......

tiger727272 said:
For that kind of money have you considered the new scooby sti wrx version, approaching 300bhp and as much fun as the ones already mentioned without the hefty price tag.

Thats not really even on the same continent is it?

JimmyJames said:
They are both great cars. Its all relative to your dollar and what you want out of it.

Exactly my, albeit limited thoughts on the subject.

Have not driven a Cayman, however have driven both a 2003 Boxster S and 2006 Boxster S, the 3.4 version.

Fantastic machines both of them. The revised 3.4litre which was 295PS, 291BHP actually felt a little "less urgent" than the previous 3.2 engine.

Can't disagree with any comments about better handling, chassis, residuals etc and I would love a Cayman S.

However, obviously depending on individual taste, the interior is also part of the package and the Porsche cabin is just too bland for me. Quality is fine - but for me its too much like a beamer interior - dull [sorry, just my opinion!].

Price is sadly another issue. These two cars are not in the same league; the TT-S is mid 30s, the Cayman S, once you put on it a few additional options (not optional in my opinion!) you are well into the 40s and that is another rung up the ladder; and to be honest, for me its not good value for money. Plus the cost of ownership is certainly higher.

I've just ordered a TT-S. I agree, it won't be as quick as a Cayman S but I'm sure its not going to be miles behind, certainly not 10k behind. The cabin is important [to me] its where you spend all your time and the Audi has no competition. My decision is also swayed by practicality, I can get my road bike in the back of the TT-S, not a chance with the Cayman, and that's important for me.

Oh, and I see Boxsters and Caymans and 911s every day. I'd be surprised if I saw another TT-S on the road even months after I get mine - expected in June, btw.

CJP80 said:
I'm either going to get a nearly new CS or place an order for the TTS.

I've considered them both myself as a replacement for my car.

I spec'd a new cayman and it came to £50K which is far to close to 911 money. Second hand they offer better value (IMHO)

The TT-s is a nice looking car but I think it's £6K or £7K over priced and thats without adding a few choice options. If it comes in at mid 30's standard I would imagine that you'll be looking at high 30's for a reasonable spec'd one.

I reckon the TT-S will work out the more expensive in the long run when you take depreciaiton into account.

I dare say the TT-s will be nice to drive but it unless you only want to belt up and down the motorway the Cayman will, without shadow of a doubt, be the more fun.

The downsides to both cars? With the TT-s all your mates will take the **** regarding hair dressers, with the Cayman you'll have to explain why you didn't buy the 911.

Out of the 2 I'd go for the better drivers car, the Cayman.

I'm assuming you dont have young kids? Because that might mean the TT-s was the more practical so long as your kids are under 3 years old!

J.

powerplay said:
Price is sadly another issue. These two cars are not in the same league; the TT-S is mid 30s, the Cayman S, once you put on it a few additional options (not optional in my opinion!) you are well into the 40s and that is another rung up the ladder; and to be honest, for me its not good value for money. Plus the cost of ownership is certainly higher.

What spec did you go for? If yours came in at mid 30's then I can only assume that you did spec many options....

Plus the question was between a new TT-s and a second hand Cayman S.

powerplay said:
Oh, and I see Boxsters and Caymans and 911s every day. I'd be surprised if I saw another TT-S on the road even months after I get mine - expected in June, btw.

But the TT-s doesn't look that much different than the regular TT, the Cayman S looks like a Cayman. The TT will be the more popular I reckon in a year.

powerplay said:
However, obviously depending on individual taste, the interior is also part of the package and the Porsche cabin is just too bland for me. Quality is fine - but for me its too much like a beamer interior - dull [sorry, just my opinion!]..

Totally agree.

Mark

:icon_thumright:
marriedblonde said:
I spec'd a new cayman and it came to £50K which is far to close to 911 money. Second hand they offer better value (IMHO)

The TT-s is a nice looking car but I think it's £6K or £7K over priced and thats without adding a few choice options. If it comes in at mid 30's standard I would imagine that you'll be looking at high 30's for a reasonable spec'd one.

I reckon the TT-S will work out the more expensive in the long run when you take depreciaiton into account.

I dare say the TT-s will be nice to drive but it unless you only want to belt up and down the motorway the Cayman will, without shadow of a doubt, be the more fun.

The downsides to both cars? With the TT-s all your mates will take the **** regarding hair dressers, with the Cayman you'll have to explain why you didn't buy the 911.

Out of the 2 I'd go for the better drivers car, the Cayman.
J.

Bang on the money !!!

Mark

TT-S or Cayman, they'll all look like certain bodypart extensions down the pub anyway. Give me a powerful but understated car that I can still put a large kitbag in the boot anyday of the week, like an RS Audi or an M-Sport model.

marriedblonde said:
And what car have you just bought? A rip snorting 500bhp fire spitting monster...

LOL. I'm not buying MY car for power you numpty. I'm buying a 5 door diesel hatchback!!! I got bored of the power in my 172 and my cousin got bored of his 225bhp tt then mapped it to 270bhp got bored of it, then went for a big turbo upgrade of 330bhp :hubbahubba:

Now its so much fun :jump:

Test drive both of them... you'll never come to a clear cut decision till you do. But once you have test driven both of them, tell us your conclusion =)

Thanks for all the responses.

To answer all your questions....

3 puntures, 4 front tyres and a set of rears. All my tyres are now new.

I've considerd a 3 series coupe(335), but just don't like the interior much at all.

22.1mpg is due to the fact I'm in traffic most of the time. Bear in mind it's not standard.

I don't have any kids to worry about so don't need the extra space/seats.

I have to say to I disagree about the Porsche interior quality. The Porker is better than my S3, feels much more solid.

What I like about most about the Cayman are the residuals....it's a good ownership prospect. I've never driven the Cayman, although I have driven a few 911's. Please please please don't show me 911's for sale for similar money....

As for the comments about power, my car will get to 100mph just as fast as the Cayman S, but's there's no way it will be half as enjoyable! When you start throwing corners in to the mix I'd be left standing.
Who mentioned the Subaru???:no: If I wanted a car of that type I'd walk straight into an FQ360.

Going in for a test drive tomorrow, so will see what happens...

CJP80 said:
Going in for a test drive tomorrow, so will see what happens...

It would be interesting to hear your feedback after your test drive, so please let's know.

Mark

Interesting qeustion.

On the one hand the porsche is a porsche, but there's a certain stigma that goes with owning one - i.e. people thinking you are a flash git or having a mid-life crisis. On the other hand though, it's a porsche, and who wouldn't want to own a porsche.

The TT-S is somewhat more understated than the porsche, however to those not really into Audi and don't know what an S model is, they'll just think it is a TT and that you might be a hairdresser, or that you prefer your pal to your lassie.

Not sure which I would go for - probably best to take a test drive in both to be sure!