Dolphin Grey S3

boggym

Reaction score
Hi all

Seriously thinking of changing my 2004 3.2 A3 Sportback for an S3. Just wanted to get some feedback on your thoughts on the Dolphin Grey colour as my local dealer has just got one on the forecourt which may be a possible option. Up until now my first choice would always have been Black or Phantom Black but the Grey seems quite nice.

You don't see many Grey one's about and they don't seem to get mentioned often. Just don't want to get stuck with one when the time comes to sell and was just wondering if you guys like them.

Thanks all

I have a Dolphin Grey one, when I was looking I saw a Grey / Red Leather combo on the used site (it's gone now :-() but it just confirmed my choice.

So I ended up with Dolphin Grey and Black / Silver Leather with the Silver headlining.

The dealer said when we walked into the handover area that "it's the best colour combo for the car" but then again, he would say that whatever colour you choose :)

Might get some pics up today if I get it washed before it rains!

Phantom Black looks good, but you just have to have the Black Optics to go with it!!

I think the Dolphin colour is great , i don't think you will have any trouble selling it on , it's not a colour that you " love or hate " i think if Dolphin gray is what you want , then go for it , don't worry about sale time , enjoy it!

Dolphins not a colour that will ever be in vogue, but it will never be out of fashion! it's timeless!

p

Cheers guys, thats what I thought. It doesn't seem to offend anyone. I'm off to the dealer later to get insulted with a part-ex price for mine, might be able to do a deal, we'll see what happens.

Just to give my farthing's worth..... My dolphin grey A3 has the air of understated elegance. No boy-racer this, but a very classis colour for a quality car. No, it won't turn any heads by going fast or having sports wheels etc, but when it just sits there, it just gives off this aura of a serious motor. It does tend to show the dirt a bit, so it needs care and regular cleaning. Go for it.

Just come back form the dealers, couldn't agree with you more Geraldy212. Dolphin Grey certainly looks classy. As you say, it's not boy-racy and won't turn too many heads but thats part of the attraction of an S3.

I've now got a couple of hours to make my mind up and get back to the garage with a decision on the deal they offered. Apparently they won't be able to offer the same deal tomorrow!!

Cheers

boggym said:
Apparently they won't be able to offer the same deal tomorrow!!

Of course they will, Just sales talk to try to make you sign on the dotted line.

Mark

I've gone for Dolphin Grey and love it. Understated stealth. The S3 is great in all colours and must admit the Ibis white is probably the best of all but i couldn't live with it but each to their own. I love black, my last 3 audi's were all black but i grew tired of keeping it clean and minor scratch issues coming out white so i decided to change.

I also decided on a dealer stock car and was quite happy to take on the Dolphin Grey my only gripe being i wanted the optik black grill as i feel the silver/grey grill does not give the car enough definition at the front end and needs the contrast. I have a black optik grill on the way from germany should be here this week and will fit maybe this weekend coming.

Yip Dolphin Grey understated stealthy stealhiest thing.:icon_thumright:

Jas.

Personally think that Dolphin Grey is the best colour for the S3. Suits its really well. Black/silver leather goes nicely with it

Cheers guys.

Got to say the more I think about it, the more I like the grey. Your comments are certainly helping my decision.

The salesman gave me the all the usual tosh that figures were down this week and that Sunday is always the best day to buy. He kept wanting to phone the MD, who was not working today, to get a "really good" reduction on the screen price. Must admit, found it a little bit to pushy so walked away and phoned him later to say I'd be sorting out my finances tomorrow and would call back. Thing is with all these positive comments, I think I'm going to be spending some money this week!! Can't wait.

Thanks all

I just bought a second hand Dolphin S-Line Sportback yesterday, it was not my 1st choice colour wise but it is growing on me more and more.

I would be interested to see a Optic grill on a Dolphin Grey, if anyone can find a pic could they post one.

mate i have the dolphin grey aswell, looks amazing when the sun shines on it but quite dull when there isnt sun. but still love it!

My last A3 was Dolphin Grey. I thought it was the nicest colour when ordering it.

I would have had it on my current A3 too, except for two reasons.
1) nobody would notice I had changed the car
2) I had a friend of mine lined up to buy to old one, and thought we'd look a right pair of eejits parked at somebody's house with the same car and an almost identical number plate.

I got the misano red on the new one, but would consider a move back to Dolphin Grey next time out.

I've already said in another thread but Grey is my Favorite on pretty much all 'nice' cars. Think of an M3, Mini Cooper S, Aston Martin, Porsche.. All look fantastic in Grey. The stealth factor is great too. From a distance or driving past it doesn't really catch the (scumbags) eye, but up close still looks great. If I do go for an S3 it will defo be in Dolphin grey.

Cheers all

My mind's now made up - Dolphin grey it is!

What is a black optic grill?

I just ordered a phantom black Audi S3, supposately arriving next week, i would like it styled like the Heron Audi S3, does anyone know the details on the changes to that of a stock Audi S3? (Chassis only)

Thank you!

Cheers from Argentina.

FELIX said:
What is a black optic grill?

I just ordered a phantom black Audi S3, supposately arriving next week, i would like it styled like the Heron Audi S3, does anyone know the details on the changes to that of a stock Audi S3? (Chassis only)

Thank you!

Cheers from Argentina.

The whole grill, surround, slats and number plate are in matt black, not grey and chrome...

VehicleImage.axd-3.jpg

VehicleImage.axd-2.jpg

I just got rid of my Dolphin Grey S3, I got a good trade in (over book value) and the dealer sold the car 2 days after they had it.

Its not as common as Black and the Sprint Blue but still looks the mutts :faint:

Enjoy it m8, here is a taster of what you will have very soon:

IMG_0083.jpg

Klauster.

:cool: Thats an excellent pic of the colour. My S3 black optiK grill arrived today. Hope to have it on my Dolphin Grey this weekend.

TDI-line said:
The whole grill, surround, slats and number plate are in matt black, not grey and chrome...
Could that be done with a painjob or does it sell as a one piece grill?

The Heron Audi S3 has the chrome on the surrounds, so, the only difference is the number plate painted in matt black? Is grey the original color for the slats? Is that Phantom Black?

Felix. I'm not convinced the Heron grill by the light of this pic looks black. This might be the standard chrome/grey finish but does seem to have the matt black number plate mount. The grill just dosn't look absolute black as far i see it. When you see the optik grill its full on black slats with a piano black surround and matt black number plate mount/same as slats.

JimmyJames said:
Klauster.

:cool: Thats an excellent pic of the colour. My S3 black optiK grill arrived today. Hope to have it on my Dolphin Grey this weekend.

please post some pics fella, it would be good to see it on a dolphin grey S3,

cheers

klauster said:
please post some pics fella, it would be good to see it on a dolphin grey S3,

cheers

Indeed, yes please :icon_thumright:

FELIX said:
Could that be done with a painjob or does it sell as a one piece grill?

The Heron Audi S3 has the chrome on the surrounds, so, the only difference is the number plate painted in matt black? Is grey the original color for the slats? Is that Phantom Black?

The grills are quite cheap, around £100 to £200, the cost of a paint job, and then the grill getting chipped from stones imo is not worth it. I think the front bumper had to be removed for the grill to be fitted.

Finished fitting my Black optiK grill to Dolphin Grey S3. I like it. One colour but adds more definition i think to front end and gives more aggressive look.
It was a much easier changover than the S-Line grill. The S3 optiK grill had 13 philips screws and 4 clips. With bumper off i didn't need to disconnect the washers or the fogs. Just let bumper rest in front of car on padding. Easy swap over after that. The S-line black optiK grill on my Sportback was much harder. It needed bumper cleanly off car and then in my case cut away old grill (as too many clips.not enough fingers and no philips screws).

Pics of before and after to follow.

N8KOW said:
I know what car it is :lmfao:

Ok. Ain't there always one smart a** in a crowd;) .You should be up on the stage with your observational qualities.

You asked the question. I should have quantified more by finishing my statement of. "Thats my Quattro Sport" its the only pic i had at joining for my avatar.

JimmyJames said:
Finished fitting my Black optiK grill to Dolphin Grey S3. I like it. One colour but adds more definition i think to front end and gives more aggressive look.

Pics of before and after to follow.

Looking forward to seeing pics, i have a Dolphin Grey Sportback and am thinking of this mod, but i have not managed to find any pics of someone elses yet so seeing yours will give me some idea.

Glad the mod went well.

Can't wait for the pics Jimmy. It's definately a mod i'm thinking of when i get mine. Already planned a satnav and BT upgrade but there's no point in stopping there.

Looks OK, bit conservative (John Major) which may put folks off, better than yellow or orange I think but have you seen them in Phantom Black with 20 spoke Alloys, now that really looks cool.:hubbahubba: