Pulled over by police

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
Got pulled over yesterday as the Police wanted to know when I had my 'tints' done. After explaining they were a legal factory fit option and that only the rear glass was tinted, he said he noticed that the fronts were not tinted and allowed me to carry on with my journey

What was all that about then? Anyone else getting bothered by the police for silly things?

I think there leaning hard on the automotive scene this month. I know that there cracking down on any motorists with illegal number plates especially so watch out anyone with metal plates! =/

You know the fuzz... anyone with tints has gotta be dealing drugs. Hopefully you had them well hidden! :)

Live in Northern Ireland and you get this happening to you all the time

Legally, windows forward of the b pillar are not to be tinted as they already come with a factory 17% tint which is the legal limit

The police are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Had they spotted the nicked Imola S3 from the sticky before it was reported stolen cuz of the windows, the owner would love them eh!?!?!

Indeed, it just depends on your luck with the feds. And also where you live. I live in Warrington and you hardly see police on road, whereas in Bristol (where I'm from), they're like RATS - EVERYWHERE :lmfao:

normski said:
The police are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Had they spotted the nicked Imola S3 from the sticky before it was reported stolen cuz of the windows, the owner would love them eh!?!?!

Your point would be a valid ine had they actually ran further checks on me and the car - they didn't

They probably did, but as it checked out they probably won't have mentioned it. Insurance and MOT can all be checked pretty quickly now.

consilio said:
Your point would be a valid ine had they actually ran further checks on me and the car - they didn't

They can carry out all the checks in the world on you mate if the car had been nicked and the owner hadn't reported it, the only way they would know anything was dodgy was if they tried to stop it....if you think someone in a nicked S3 is gonna stop for the fuzz, that is quite naive...

So my point may be valid after all...

But we digress...

I run a large independant garage, and one of my work vehicles has the registration; GO04 MOT, and we have it with an extra space in it to read GO 04 MOT. Anyway earlier this week, I got pulled by a traffic car, because of the spacing, and his onboard number plate detection equipment didnt pick it up properly. After a small wrist salp, and with me promising, to get it changed by end of play of business that day all was OK. He did say all police are going to be very hot on this, and if a car is pulled twice for a number plate violation, they will confiscate the plate, and impound he vehicle - So beware everyone

just to let you know widow tints at front are allowed upto about 27% but anything BEHINDthe driver you can have at 99% my previous car had limo black 99% tints on back windows and back windscreen and 27.5% on front perfect mix

AUDI TURBO said:
just to let you know widow tints at front are allowed upto about 27% but anything BEHINDthe driver you can have at 99% my previous car had limo black 99% tints on back windows and back windscreen and 27.5% on front perfect mix

Yes but as the standard 'tint' on most cars now is nearly up to the mark, even putting a clear laminate on the front winodws, will make them illegal!!!!

N8KOW said:
Indeed, it just depends on your luck with the feds. And also where you live. I live in Warrington and you hardly see police on road, whereas in Bristol (where I'm from), they're like RATS - EVERYWHERE :lmfao:
Here in Southampton I can't remember the last time I saw a Policeman or a Police car - even though someone in our road had a sat nav nicked from their car while parked outside their house we STILL haven't seen any Police presence here, all we got was a slip of paper through our door from a PCSO - 2 MONTHS after it happened!

I resent having to pay a big chunk of my Council Tax for policing that I don't get!

reading other forums watch out for the next hot thing, clamp down on incorrect reg plates, spacing, size etc.

PetrolDave said:
Here in Southampton I can't remember the last time I saw a Policeman or a Police car

They must be out looking for me then as I managed to get pulled twice in 23 minutes. On a tuesday night...

Try moving to hedge end as there are loads of them, we have foot patrols, bike patrols and plenty of squad cars kicking around. Thats not including the meat wagon that is normally patroling around grange park...

p1tse said:
reading other forums watch out for the next hot thing, clamp down on incorrect reg plates, spacing, size etc.

Yea, serious crime that - Good job they're not clamping down on car jacking eh

Personally I've got absolutely no issue with the police pulling over every single **** with an illegally spaced number plate and crushing there car. Same goes for tints.

Eeef said:
Personally I've got absolutely no issue with the police pulling over every single **** with an illegally spaced number plate and crushing there car. Same goes for tints.

Ooo imagine all the chaved up saxo's and corsa's getting squashed ahhh bliss :)

consilio said:
Yea, serious crime that - Good job they're not clamping down on car jacking eh

Clearly the more informed people on here will understand exactly why they are doing this mate...

I bet your are one of the clever people who says to coppers "haven't you got anything better to do?" or "shouldn't you be out arresting rapists and murderers"...

normski said:
Clearly the more informed people on here will understand exactly why they are doing this mate...

I bet your are one of the clever people who says to coppers "haven't you got anything better to do?" or "shouldn't you be out arresting rapists and murderers"...
"I pay your wages" is normally the best way to pi$$ them off ;)

normski said:

I dont agree that Police resources are always deployed effectively no, and I dont think there is anything 'informed' or 'clever' about my opinion on that, its just my opinion.

I do however appreciate that when Police do seemingly pull people over at random, they are usually right to do so (instinct?), but usually something is uncovered after checking out the car, the driver, and the contents of various databases - none of this was done on this occasion, so was it really worth it?

Maybe that nicked yellow S3 was missed, while talking to me about if my tints were standard or not?

Number plates, illegsal tints. The latest craze here is running red lights because they have just changed but the police here ignore it . and i mean red. also whats the latest idiot craze of driving with side lights and front fogs at night. do these idiots not know A minimum driving lights in theis country is dipped headlights and b if they are involved in an accident fog lights are not driving lights and the insurance companies would have a field day as they are not driving in accordance with road law (highway code).

Do these cretins not know the difference between fog and driving lights. Or as i suspect the mentality is; Oh it looks trendy and they where fitted so ill us them all the time.

Ill get off my soapbox now

M

maxlbrown said:
also whats the latest idiot craze of driving with side lights and front fogs at night.
This aint new, plenty of dicks have been doing this for years.

consilio said:
I do however appreciate that when Police do seemingly pull people over at random, they are usually right to do so (instinct?), but usually something is uncovered after checking out the car, the driver, and the contents of various databases - none of this was done on this occasion, so was it really worth it?

Not sure what your saiying here, are you implying they didn't check the various databases or that they just found nothing sus about your car?

J.

maxlbrown said:
Number plates, illegsal tints. The latest craze here is running red lights because they have just changed but the police here ignore it . and i mean red. also whats the latest idiot craze of driving with side lights and front fogs at night. do these idiots not know A minimum driving lights in theis country is dipped headlights and b if they are involved in an accident fog lights are not driving lights and the insurance companies would have a field day as they are not driving in accordance with road law (highway code).

Do these cretins not know the difference between fog and driving lights. Or as i suspect the mentality is; Oh it looks trendy and they where fitted so ill us them all the time.

Ill get off my soapbox now

M

You should visit the McDonalds at Hedge End one Friday evening. A small dose of napalm would reduce these twats by half in one nicely contained area.

marriedblonde said:
Not sure what your saiying here, are you implying they didn't check the various databases or that they just found nothing sus about your car?

J.

No checks were done. It was a single guy on his own, on a motorbike, and there was not enough time

Everything could have been done before pullling you over ie insurance and mot check from you reg plate and from the name of registered keeper then a driving licence check could have been done.

marriedblonde said:
They check you before they pull you over.

J.

I know this, but like i said, there was not enough time (I saw him on his bike, i was not followed for long enough)

Besides, my name would have also been useful to him, but he did not ask

consilio said:
I know this, but like i said, there was not enough time (I saw him on his bike, i was not followed for long enough)

Besides, my name would have also been useful to him, but he did not ask

It's certainly possible to get a radio vehicle check done in under 30-odd seconds. I do it quite a lot, but if there's nothing sus about the car and it comes back OK, I'll usually not bother pulling it unless there's good reason. Like dark window tints for example. Some vehicles even have ANPR cameras that bring back results on a small screen in seconds of viewing the reg plate.

Even a reason like dark tints is enough reason for a quick check. Same reason for pulling people for tail-lights. Good opportunity to check veh/occupants and maybe breath test if appropriate. Remember that way back in the 80's Peter Sutcliffe (aka the Yorkshire Ripper) was arrested because of a simple vehicle stop.

I beleive the thinking is 'not all drivers are criminals, but pretty much all criminals are drivers'

I don't know why you're so bothered about this. At the end of the day, if we don't pull people over, we never find the baddies do we? Two minutes of your time isn't asking much.I suggest you change your attitude somewhat before you fall foul of us.

Your humble and ever obedient servant,

Nelson.

PS Don't feed the troll

If it helps to get illegal, non-insured drivers and vehicles off the road, the police can 'pull me over' as often as they like.

h5djr said:
If it helps to get illegal, non-insured drivers and vehicles off the road, the police can 'pull me over' as often as they like.

You say that, David, knowing that there's actually very little chance of you being pulled over.
Your car will be absolutely 100% legal and straightforward.
As a motorcyclist, I know how 'hot and bothered' the police can get over issues of ambiguity, such as tinted visors, numberplates etc.
It's always nice when you can prove you're legal after all, but you still have the embarrassment of people seeing you being pulled over and talked to etc.
TBH, the only way you can avoid it is to take any ambiguity and interpretation out of the question.
Annoying as it might be, tinted windows are one of those things that coppers are unsure of, so you are always running the risk of being pulled more than someone with clear windows.
Much as I hate to say it, you are asking for it.
I accept my illegal numberplate spacing means I am effectively asking for it too, so I won't moan if I get pulled over.
No accusations of "haven't you got anything better to do"
More "fair enough, I've got away with it this long".

I wish they'd pull people over for more driving related offences, like driving in the middle of two lanes (my personal favourite), or going 40 in a 60 zone then continuing to do 40 in a 30 they've just entered.

These are the people who gesticulate to you if you overtake them...they've not got a clue about the rules of the road.

Another favourite is roundabouts...two lanes, both of which can go straight, so you sit in the outside lane as everyone else seems unable to read the road signage. Obviously, you pull out and indicate of the roundabout to go straight, then the barrage of abuse comes from the ignorant **** in the inside lane trying to undertake you because he cannot read! I won't mention the women and sometimes old men who think the best way over the roundabout is the tangent, regardless of the number of lanes.

I'd also like to see the Joe public having powers to stop panda cars with only one working headlight. It seems all the cars in the L&B police force have only one.

It is also a scandal that the ACPO can dictate when people will be charged and when not. The law should be the law in any circumstance. I got caught doing 35 in a 30, at 10:30pm on a Sunday evening. When I told the people at work the next day, my colleague told me his daughter was caught doing 43 in a 30 the same night, but explained to the officer that she was nearly out of fuel and was rushing to the petrol station....he let her go!

Sorry, I know this off topic but I had to release it.... :crying:

I have to agree with Bowfer and CJP80!

I have been pulled over by the cops 4 times so far and was fined that many times as well... 2 of those fines were perfectably sanctioned with a worning but no... the officer had to fine someone I guess. One of them was having the front fog lights on on my Clio (they do not blind incoming traffic at all and I had them on because I was on the motorway with fog... it just happened when I came out of the motorway it wasn't foggy and I honestly forgot to turn them off... funny thing is while fining me a young guy in a motorcycle passed us doing wheelies and no crash helmet... I said you should fine that one, not me... he replied... yes, but those are difficult to stop!!

The other one was doing 33 on a 30mph zone, going to work, in a desert country road....

The other two were speeding fines which I paid withou argument, my fault. In all my fines I was not obeying the law, I admit but there should be leeway, otherwise even anyone that does not use the zebra crossing to cross the road on foot should and can be fined!!

But I guess some policeman are over zealous about their job. If I was like that in my job people would call me a thief!!

Pedro

I wish they'd pull people over for more driving related offences, like driving in the middle of two lanes (my personal favourite)

I agree. Also middle lane hoggers on a three lane motorway. Join the motorway, get into the middle lane and stay there until it's time to leave.

Also cars with 'bad' lighting. Lights missing, fog lights on when it's not foggy, mis-aligned headlamps etc etc.

The problem is that there are less and less traffic police and too much reliance on cameras.

CJP80 said:
I wish they'd pull people over for more driving related offences, like driving in the middle of two lanes (my personal favourite), or going 40 in a 60 zone then continuing to do 40 in a 30 they've just entered.

These are the people who gesticulate to you if you overtake them...they've not got a clue about the rules of the road.

Another favourite is roundabouts...two lanes, both of which can go straight, so you sit in the outside lane as everyone else seems unable to read the road signage. Obviously, you pull out and indicate of the roundabout to go straight, then the barrage of abuse comes from the ignorant **** in the inside lane trying to undertake you because he cannot read! I won't mention the women and sometimes old men who think the best way over the roundabout is the tangent, regardless of the number of lanes.

I'd also like to see the Joe public having powers to stop panda cars with only one working headlight. It seems all the cars in the L&B police force have only one.

It is also a scandal that the ACPO can dictate when people will be charged and when not. The law should be the law in any circumstance. I got caught doing 35 in a 30, at 10:30pm on a Sunday evening. When I told the people at work the next day, my colleague told me his daughter was caught doing 43 in a 30 the same night, but explained to the officer that she was nearly out of fuel and was rushing to the petrol station....he let her go!

Sorry, I know this off topic but I had to release it.... :crying:

Well those at my (L&B) station are usually quite good when lights blow and change it. Can't say the same for all stations though. The cars have to put up with a lot though and dont get changed very often. We had a rattly 160k transit at the station with blue lights that had to be plugged into the cigarette lighter, that was only 5 years old, but each of those miles had been thrashed. I'm sure the guys deliberatly didn't top it up with oil in order to speed up with replacement. Got a nice shiny new one now!

L&B aren't the worst though. Only this evening did I see a NHS lothian paramedic shoot down north bridge in his honda 4x4 with the blue lights active, but no other lights on at all!! :faint:

I'll be keeping my eye for a shiny new 07 Silver S3 in the burg then for a quick chat about his very bright white lights :p