Buying Advice

mighty tee

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so first of all let me introduce myself. I own a 2 year old TT Quattro Sport, I am very active on the TT Forum (same user name) and the South Coast Rep for the TTOC.

Why am I here?

My wife currently has a 2005 2.0fsi sport which we are looking to replace. We were thinking about 2.0TDi Quattro S-Line, however we test drove a 170 TDi (2wd) and we were both surprised how noisy this engine is in the cabin. So a few questions:

1) Real world - how noisy do people find the 170 TDi?

2) Real world - what fuel consumption do they get from 170 TDi Quattro?

3) If we decided to go petrol, what is real world fuel consumption of the 2.0TFSI Quattro?

4) Which would you buy Petrol or Diesel and why?

5) What is known about the 2008 facelift, when will it be available to order and what changes are being made?

Any other comments welcome

Cheers Richard

where is this real world place? :jester:

I didnt find any probs with S3 test drive< (slightly :sign_ot: but I'm coming from a diesel. Any real world figures are going to be totally dependant on how the missis drives, for how long etc etc etc.

The most issue with diesel is the noise on the cold start, but I soon got climbatized to any engine noises and its non existent when travelling down the mway for example)

If you find the 170 noisy try a 140, it'll seem quiet ! I would guess the quattro would average around 38ish the 2.0T 27/28. As for petrol/diesel, if you cover less than 15k then technically petrol should work out cheaper.

Thanks for the replies. On what basis does the comment about diesel not being economical if we do less than 15k per year? The purchase price is very similar, so what are the service costs of a 170 diesel?

If the purchase price of the diesel is similar then there won't be much of a difference in overall cost of ownership, diesels tend to pay for themselves over time.