Roadtest, for a ****** wheelbearing???

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Just had a text from my Bro-in-law saying he's been following my car, which is supposed to be in at the dealer for a ****** wheelbearing.
Not that I mind, really, but why would you need a roadtest for a ****** bearing?
Given that it was making a noise you could hear, and a grinding you could feel through the wheel, wouldn't it just be a case of rotating the wheel by hand?
I can see what's going to happen here, I really can.

The roads are wet, which disguises the wheel bearing noise (maybe the water lubricates the knackered bearing, dunno).

I'm going to get it back with "no fault found".:motz: :motz: :gun2: :aggressive:

I wouldn't be happy about someone else driving my car full stop. Some of these mechanics really give the cars that come in abuse when they road test them

You'd have thought so but I guess they have a manual somewhere that probably tells them to raod test it.

I followed my R32 when it was in for a replacement fuel tank. I'm guessing they wanted to make sure it wasn't leaking under accel/brake/cornering because they where certainly putting it through it's paces.

Whens the D3 coming?

J.

TBH, I'm half hoping one of the clowns wraps it around a tree...
I don't mean that, I'm just hacked off..
The dealer phoned me two minute ago

"You know your back tyres are at 3mm sir?"
"yes, have the sourced the wheel bearing fault"
"don't know sir, what about the tyres?"
"It's going away in a matter of weeks, leave them"

F*ck me...

marriedblonde said:
Whens the D3 coming?

J.

TBH, I've no ****** idea, at the moment...
They mentioned they were awaiting allocation of '57 plate, then some smartarse mentioned the forthcoming '08 plates.
I told them I wasn't bothered about an '08 plate, because I'm putting my private plate on.
They responded saying BMW leasing might prefer to wait for '08, because it will help the resale when I put it back (3 years).
So, best scenario, week or two.
Worst scenario, 1st March.
Also waiting for them to advise on dealer fit USB option, rather than me cocking around with Dension.

This makes me shudder - many bad memories

They say they have to test drive in order to prove there's an issue, else they say that cannot claim back the warranty work from Audi.

They also, without fail, every single time said "its your tyres sir"

I've got another one on the way out, near side rear, think I'll wait for the wheel to fall off before I take it back, they won't be able to say no fault found then will they

bacardi said:
This makes me shudder - many bad memories
They say they have to test drive in order to prove there's an issue, else they say that cannot claim back the warranty work from Audi.
I've got another one on the way out, near side rear, think I'll wait for the wheel to fall off before I take it back, they won't be able to say no fault found then will they

Yup, I can forsee the same thing here...
Thank christ I've no long drives planned.

Good grief, I've just been advised my car is ready for collection.

By text....

So, basically, I've no idea if they've actually fixed it until I get there.

Better check my roadside is still up to date, seeing as I may have an Audi Robin in a few days....

bacardi said:

Prophetic words, Bacardi, prophetic words...
They claim the rumbling/grinding noise I can feel from the front of the car, is actually being caused the rear tyres...
To say I was furious is a massive understatement.
Not only do they evidently think I am some bumbling fool whose opinion cannot be trusted, but they would (had I given them permission this afternoon) have replaced perfectly good back tyres.
I left using your words "I'll wait until the ****** wheel falls off"
Angry doesn't begin to explain it.:motz:

Once on an old car of mine, i had a terrible noise which i thought was coming from the rear & the faster i went the quieter it was, so i sped home to my local garage, they had a look nothing wrong at the rear, i said drive it slowly you will hear it really bad.
In the end i told the mechanic to drive really slow while i listen while running by the car.I found out then what it was, the front wheel bolts were coming loose even lost one.
Just shows sometimes noise can travel around a car & that day i was quite lucky not to have an accident.
I guess the test would be jack it up your self & have a listen or swop your tyres front to rear.

What tyres do you have? the old Goodyears NCTs were famous for getting noisy when 3/4 worn.

Dunlops.
The 'mechanic' who called me this afternoon to try and sell me two new tyres said "dunlops do that".
Lies lies lies lies lies lies.
No way on god's earth do worn tyres give the grinding/rumbling noise I'm hearing and feeling.
Not unless someone's replaced the rubber ones with ones off Barney Rubble's car.

Apart from the first wheel bearing replacement by Bedord audi, I've had this cop out every time, I've used Goodyear, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Avon tyres all of which apparently make that noise

Each time I've had to take the master technician out for a drive, show them the noise at low/mid speeds and they'd then agreed, complete and utter joke.

The frustrating thing is that, after THIRTEEN wheel bearings I'd assume the dealer may believe me.

Dunlops I think use to be known for their noise also, atleast when ford fitted them to xr3s couldnt wait to change them.
That was some time ago, & treads/compounds will have long changed, in saying that i put some Avons on my last audi & i found them noisy, a very hard rubber tyre.
Jack the car up & see if there is much movement or noise.

stan said:
Jack the car up & see if there is much movement or noise.

Will I fu...
That's what they should have done, instead of taking it for a ****** test drive.
Jokers.

Of course bmw mechanics will never test drive a car and immediately replace any part that the customer questions, no questions asked.

But Bowfer is not buying a BMW. In reply to one of my posts he said he was not buying a BMW he was buying an Alpina. Do Alpina have their own dealers or are they dealt with by BMW dealers?

treblesykes said:
Of course bmw mechanics will never test drive a car and immediately replace any part that the customer questions, no questions asked.

sorry but I haven't mentioned BMW dealers?

bacardi said:
sorry but I haven't mentioned BMW dealers?

wasnt referring to you more to bowfers hope/belief that his bmw will be perfect

treblesykes said:
wasnt referring to you more to bowfers hope/belief that his bmw will be perfect

Did I say that?
Did I even mention BMW?
Nope, so sharrap.

Standard procedure for a suspected ****** wheelbearing should be to put jack the car up and rotate the wheel by hand.
They'd then feel any grinding (because it's at walking pace you hear it worst) and feel any excessive play.
No, no, though.
They decide driving around at 50mph will show up the problem, when all that really does is drown out everything in the general cacophony of road noise that is an S-line.

On top of their evident incompetence, there is the small matter of them trying to get me to replace two perfectly good REAR tyres, to solve a problem that is coming from the front.

So, not only are they incompetent, they are bent.
For every one of me that says "go **** yourself, the back tyres are fine", how many do you reckon just go "oh, ok then, just do it".:motz: