EM TuningVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Bluetooth problems

I am having problems with my Bluetooth phone connection. Over the last couple of days it keeps losing connection, sometimes re-connecting after a while and sometimes not. We use 2 different phones on it (both Nokia 6233s) and the problem has occurred with both of them. The same phones have been working perfectly with it for the 4 months we have had the car.

I was wondering if it was anything to do with my RNS-E retrofit and/or SDS mod. It has worked fine for the first week after the SDS mod so Im hoping its just coincidence (gulp).

Just to check, and as a visit to the stealers is looking likely, I have temporarily put back the OEM Symphony II+ and disconnected the SDS mic cable. The problem is still the same. I checked for error codes when I VAGCOMed it back to the original settings and there were none.

It seems to me like the Bluetooth module itself is faulty, is this a common problem?

Anyone else had similar problems after the SDS mod?
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Not good, as I'm gonna go down this route!

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

6th Gear

Status
    What version of phone module did you fit?

The K modules have known issues.

The latest Q modules are fine.

6th Gear

Status
    I think Geoffs was a factory option like mine. I have an 07 car and the phone module is 8P0 862 335 H. Were the H units OK too?
    Last edited by JohnS3; 28th January 2008 at 15:18.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig
    What version of phone module did you fit?

The K modules have known issues.

The latest Q modules are fine.
    I didn't fit the phone module - it was OEM. Car is Sept 2007.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT
    It seems to me like the Bluetooth module itself is faulty, is this a common problem?
    At least the K version of the phone module has been subject to a free replacement (if you're persistent enough) after many have failed after only a few months.

There's also some evidence of the H modules having a higher than usual failure rate. I have an H and it's been fine, but someone I know has an H and it's failed.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Just checked my VAGCOM print

77 Telephone module is shown as HW 8P0-862-335-K.

So it looks like I might have a dodgy one then.

1st Gear

Status
    I have just booked the car in. Explained the problem to the service guy. At first he asked about phone make/type etc, but when I explained that all had been well with the same phones until a few days ago and now 2 different phones had the same issue, her did say it might be a faulty "ECU module".

He said that it was odd as they have had no problems with them. Was this just stealer-speak for "Oh God another one"?

I presume the stealers must be aware of the K units problems? Is there a tech bulletin or similar regarding this, that I could "find" on the internet to take in, in case they try the "no fault found" route?

It's disconnected 5 times so far today, but you can bet that it will be fine when they test it.

6th Gear

Status
    Presumably you'll have to leave your phone with them too!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    Presumably you'll have to leave your phone with them too!
    Mmm - hadn't thought of that. Not sure I'm happy about that, but I guess it would be best for them to have the phone(s) there to test. How do I break it to SWMBO that she will need to be without her mobile for a day!! Could save me a fortune.

6th Gear

Status
    Just a thought, have you tried the SE trick of removing your received/missed calls lists?

The problems with the K modules are quite specific, they stop working and drain the battery of the car overnight. So before you go down that route I would try the above, also you could try running with a limited amount of contacts on your phone to see if you have a dodgy one it doesn't like.
    Last edited by s8craig; 28th January 2008 at 17:00.

6th Gear

Status
    Mmm - hadn't thought of that. Not sure I'm happy about that, but I guess it would be best for them to have the phone(s) there to test. How do I break it to SWMBO that she will need to be without her mobile for a day!! Could save me a fortune.
    Can you make a Saturday morning appointment with the dealer? That way you'll also know how much time (and effort) they put into the job.

1st Gear

Status
    Just a thought, have you tried the SE trick of removing your received/missed calls lists?

The problems with the K modules are quite specific, they stop working and drain the battery of the car overnight. So before you go down that route I would try the above, also you could try running with a limited amount of contacts on your phone to see if you have a dodgy one it doesn't like.
    I haven't tried the above but as we are suddenly getting the problem with 2 different handsets, is it likely to be a problem with both phones? No harm in trying though so I'll certainly delete the received/missed calls to see if it has an effect.

Interesting about the K modules problems though, as ours is certainly not draining the battery and still works intermittently.

1st Gear

Status
    Can you make a Saturday morning appointment with the dealer? That way you'll also know how much time (and effort) they put into the job.
    They said they probably needed it for a whole day to do tests (ie do the the chippy-run at lunchtime while Gaz tries the phone by ringing his cousin in Oz) , so they're picking it up Friday morning and we'll collect it on the Saturday morning.

Neutral

Status
    I am having problems with my Bluetooth phone connection. Over the last couple of days it keeps losing connection, sometimes re-connecting after a while and sometimes not. We use 2 different phones on it (both Nokia 6233s) and the problem has occurred with both of them. The same phones have been working perfectly with it for the 4 months we have had the car.

I was wondering if it was anything to do with my RNS-E retrofit and/or SDS mod. It has worked fine for the first week after the SDS mod so Im hoping its just coincidence (gulp).

Just to check, and as a visit to the stealers is looking likely, I have temporarily put back the OEM Symphony II+ and disconnected the SDS mic cable. The problem is still the same. I checked for error codes when I VAGCOMed it back to the original settings and there were none.

Anyone else had similar problems after the SDS mod?
    Similar problem, but with original RNS-E install:

Bluetooth Gremlins

Car due in next week to have new Bluetooth module installed. Wish me luck.
    A3 Sportback TDI 170 Quattro, heated leather, RNS-E, GSM prep, BOSE, Open-Sky, etc.

6th Gear

Status
    Trims, do you know which module was fitted in your car?

5th Gear

Status
    Second that suggestion - might avoid a trip to the dealer!!!

Whenever my SE K610i had an intermittent connection to the Bluetooth it was always for 1 of these reasons:

1) call lists (received, dialled, missed) being too long - just clear them.

2) having a contact with a number of type "Other" the RNS-E only accepts "Home", "Mobile" or "Work" - just change the type from "Other" to something else.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Well, fingers crossed, but it looks like the call list removal might have solved it! We deleted both of our call lists last night, and SWMBO reports that she has had no problems all day so far in 4 journeys. As it was dropping out at least once per journey before it seems like you lads might have cracked it! Thanks for the advice.

Will test mine tonight and see what happens.

1st Gear

Status
    Damn - her phone disconnected again on the way home - back to sqaure one.

Neutral

Status
    Trims, do you know which module was fitted in your car?
    Sorry, no. How can I tell? I took delivery in January 2007 if that helps to narrow it down?

I also tried clearing the call lists but, as you can see from the Gremlins thread, this didn't help for me. Probably because the Bluetooth module is f****d.
    A3 Sportback TDI 170 Quattro, heated leather, RNS-E, GSM prep, BOSE, Open-Sky, etc.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by trims
    Sorry, no. How can I tell?
    Only by physically looking at the module (difficult - it's in the electronics box under the seat) or with VAG-COM (dead easy - if you have VAG-COM!).

1st Gear

Status
    Right, try this

Go into RNSE and delete all pairings and user information

Go into your phone and do the same thing and ideally hard reset your phone

Start afresh

I did this and my phone sorted itself out for a while
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Quattro - Lava Grey, sports seats, silver Headlining, Acoustic parking, armrest, multi-function steering wheel, cruise control, Xenons, , Sat nav, GSM, Audi MMI

1st Gear

Status
    Car has been in the dealers today. They say there is definitely a fault with the Bluetooth module and have ordered another one. They can't say when it will arrive.

Cleaned the car nicely though

6th Gear

Status
    Your dealer must read these forums!

1st Gear

Status
    Your dealer must read these forums!
    Na - if they did they would have had a module in stock waiting for me!!

Neutral

Status
    Car has been in the dealers today. They say there is definitely a fault with the Bluetooth module and have ordered another one. They can't say when it will arrive.

Cleaned the car nicely though
    They told me it had to come from Germany, hence the 3 week delay in booking the car in. Hope its there on Monday . . . .

1st Gear

Status
    The Bluetooth seems to have died completely now.

It will not connect to either phone, and if I search for bluetooth connections after turning the ignition on, the phone cannot find it.

Hope it doesn't take as long as 3 weeks to get our new unit.

Neutral

Status
    Good news. The new Bluetooth module fitted today appears to work fine with my Nokia 6300.

Hopefully a new module will fix your problem too GeoffT?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by trims
    Good news. The new Bluetooth module fitted today appears to work fine with my Nokia 6300.

Hopefully a new module will fix your problem too GeoffT?
    Good News. Hope so!