Looking for some advice

L

L60N

Hi there,

Im looking for some advice regarding running a new S3 in. How does one acheive a good seal to the piston rings (ive read its important).

Im receiving my new S3 soon and would like to bed her in properly. Ive read comments such as:

"Start off at 20mph in 3rd gear, take it round to alomost red line, then let off again, repeat 5 or more times."

Is this how it is done?

Many thanks for any encouragement / other ideas.

Leon

I dont know if I'd worry about it too much. Meant to be already bed in these days. Just wait for it to warm up and then drive it how you see fit

Giving it a few runs to the redline won't harm it and will allow the engine to bed at those higher revs. I think, they do this at the factory nowadays, but no harm doing it a few times - just not hard launch from stand still. Try and do a few long runs too rather than all short bursts.

To be fair, bedding in nowadays, as said before, as more to do with all the other components, gearbox, clutch, brakes etc.

Nearly 9 months in mine, not a cough, barely a drop of oil used and feels quicker than ever!!!

Thing about doing some long runs is your not only bedding in the engine your also bedding in the gearbox and brakes etc.

I always take it easy for the first 500 miles and then over the next 500 extend the revs with the occasionally trip round towards the rev counter.

But everyone has a different idea about how to run cars in. Think how many people buy ex-demo's, there is no way they are driven gently as the saying goes whats the difference between a land rover and a demonstrator? You can take a demonstrator any where...

Best to follow the instructions in the manual, cant remember exactly what they say but its something like, dont exceed three quarters of max revs for the first 1000km, dont sit at constant revs for long periods and dont 'lug' the engine.

I followed the instructions and whilst I've only done 1700 miles so far, it hasnt used any oil and all seems well.