Ouch!

Ian_C

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with the car last week. Had to change a wheel and the jack spun off and the car flattened to the floor, with the jack embedding itself in the sill.

I now have a buckled side moulding -the panel that runs the lenght of the car with the rippled appearance - it doesn't appear to made of metal, as i say its some sort of plasticky moulding?

Is this going to be expensive to replace?!

:blownose:

This happened to me on my S3. was doing some work but I always use axel stands also.

However once I got the wheels back on + Axel stands removed. Just started lowering the car and boom the jack fails

Got it replaced under warranty. Quite bad these audi jacks even though they are just for emergencies.

Dave

It took me totally by surprise - i'm glad i have my hands still

So do you think its worth me heading to my dealer to inquire?

Anyone think this is worth a pursuing at the dealers under warranty?

The jack failed on my A3 and put a mark in the panel your talking about just in front of the rear wheel arch. It's made of metal not platic! In the end I sold the car before I got it resolved by Audi so I paid to have it fixed.

J.

The jack is just plain rubbish, mine slipped the first time I used it , (think I had not got it in exactly the right position) - thankfully had an axle stand on while putting the spacer on !
Used a trolley jack after that ! Will be calling out Audi assist if I ever get a punture.

Richard

Exactly mine caught te underside plastics of the car and out a hole through it. Not a major concern.

Be advised people, these jacks don't seem upto the job.

Dave

these jacks don't seem upto the job

Totally, its a pathetic device.

Funny thing is - i got the Audi Assistance card in 2 days AFTER this happened - I know all this is is changing a ****** tyre, but when i pulled out the Jack from the boot i did have second thoughts.

I just spoke to the Glasgow body shop and they said bring it in and "we'll make a decision.........."

I'll keep you posted peeps, but i'm going to fight for this under warranty.

Just been to the Dealer/Bodyshop.

FIRSTLY : The bodyshop quoted the damage to the car is going to be in "four figures" The sill is ruptured.

SECONDLY : The service manager listened to my story and said he had never heard of such a problem before with an Audi A3 jack. As the car wasn't bought from Glasgow Audi (a franchise) he said he would contact Audi and check whether there was precedent set for such a repair under warranty.

Regarding the above issue -

The Audi bodyshop quoted me £1400 to repair this damage - a whole new sill, and the installation of that which clearly is labour instensive.

Spoke to Audi re. this issue yesterday and they agreed to meet the repair of the cost to the tune of 50% (without physically checking the vehicle)

I can't believe it - I don't want to use my insurance (4 years no claims would be cut by 2 years?!!) as my premium will shoot up, but even with 50% off this leaves me with a bill for £700 because of their insufficient equipment!

Is it worht checking out other bodyshops (i'm in Glasgow)? Or trying to get Audi to help more-so?

if they have already given you 50% without even challenging it they are admitting some liability?! So go the whole way!

Ian_C said:
I can't believe it - I don't want to use my insurance (4 years no claims would be cut by 2 years?!!) as my premium will shoot up, but even with 50% off this leaves me with a bill for £700 because of their insufficient equipment!

Are you sure about this?
One should never be scared to use insurance, it's what it's there for.

Yeah but Tesco my insurers said off the record they woul dtake 2 of my 4 no claims bonus away and my premium will shoot up. Not to mention my £500 excess.

All in all its a financial pain in the backside i could do with out!!

if they have already given you 50% without even challenging it they are admitting some liability?! So go the whole way!

Thats a great point - i need to call the lad from Audi UK back and tell him what i want to do - do you think thats a route worht pursuing?

Thing is, lets say an.oterh reputable bodyshop quotes me far less than the Audi bodyshop have - I bet you Audi UK don't offer to pay half of that.

All

One thing springs to mind here if this is common then Fit for purpose springs to mind. secondly health and safety. if a product such as this where in the workplace it would be condemned. I would be inclined to take this to trading standards as a known fault which could result in serious injury therefore not safe and fit for purpose.

I have never even taken my audi jack out and used it as i finb these single leg types to fiddly. i just use a trolley jack at home. but i have not had a puncture on the road in years so cant comment.

just some thoughts from an H&S and quality manager.

Sorry to hear about the damage and good luck with audi i would pursue it even if they are accepting 50% liability they recognise there is a fault.

Do audi supply a tyre wedge like bmw do. i dont think i have one but again never looked.

Max

I think i'm going to pursue this further with Audi UK - 50% is clearly a case of "look - just take this and go away". The chap on the phone (decent lad) said if i want to receive more help they would have to inspect the car.

But what are they going to find?

1.An intact, but pathetic not for purpose Jack
2.A ruptured sill in my pride and joy

Why should i lose out financially because of this?

Fit for purpose. Always a good one to use in case like this.

Do you have photos and documents too... if you dont make sure you get them and start collecting EVERYTHING to do with this. It'll be worth it if it comes to a big arguement! ;)

Fit for purpose. Always a good one to use in case like this.

Do you have photos and documents too... if you dont make sure you get them and start collecting EVERYTHING to do with this. It'll be worth it if it comes to a big arguement!

Yeah well aside of the car iteslf in its current state, i will take pics. They'll probably ask for them if i pursue further financial assistance.

How likely am I to succceed in pushing Audi a bit further that their first offer?

This is my 4th A3, and the most expensive - they are making money out of my payments for the next 2 years - i expect some help here

We have a crating company.
One of the hazards is there are always loads of nails lying around the yard.
The MD looks upon it as an 'acceptable risk', because it would be counter-productive to have someone picking them all up.
Consequently, I've had my fair share of punctures, as has every member of staff here.
I must admit, I've had no problem with the jack, even on my less than level driveway at home.
I would venture the jack has passed some sort of type approval, so perhaps their offer of 50% is fair, considering they could have just said "operator error" and told you to **** off?

I have used the jacks on a number of VWs (which I think are the same) without damage. BUT only in a planned way - wheel rotation, cleaning, slow punctures etc., and never in anger, at the side of the road and / or in the rain. Several times there has been a wobble, and I've had to let it down and reposition the jack - the position on the sill isn't that clear if the light isn't great

you may not succeed at all and in the end if you push and loose you wont get the £500 either... it all depends on how convinced you are and evidence you can present to whether your likely to get what you want. FWIW, its sometimes useful to take 35mm pics instead of digital ones.. cause they 'can' say they've been fiddled with!

Anybody had any experience of using an electric scissor jack - the sort advertised by Maplin and others. Would this be safer than the Audi jack?

2006 A3 Sport 2.0 tfsi

Not an electric one, but I've used the manual ones for many years. I took one look at the Audi one when the car arrived and replaced it with the scissor. Draper do a good 1500Kg for £14.99 in Halfords. Much safer.

A fairly decent end to this story.

Audi have upped their offer to 60%, which is approx £880 of a contribution towards repair.

I have to be happy with this, as it protects my insurance caper - but it still rankles that this happened out of nothing.

Such is life - but if anyone has a similar situation as I have had here, then get onto Audi - they will crumble.

Ian C

Ian.

By virtue of the fact they are willing to give you 60% towards the repair, they have admitted fault. I think you can get 100% if you persist.

ahhaha yeah, we want more!! ;)

Hey Leon, your due date going backwards?? Damn:whip:

yeah, and im not happy about it! :sadlike:

April fools is the official word, could be a big joke yet :nyah:

Oh well, i just have to keep thinking its gonna make the big day even better :)

:sign_omg::sign_unfair:..... although, it may make April fools more 'interesting'

You could play an April fools on the dealer for instance! BWAHAHHA

Tip from the haynes manual for the A4 I've just bought, and one which I'd never seen before, they recommend putting the wheel you've just taken off under the sill for a safety measure until you've got the spare on.

Obviously you'll need to take it out before you lower the car.

Now if the jack did fail, the car doesn't have very far to fall, hopefully little damage and a full complement of fingers left.

Mike.

Can you clarify whether the jack actually failed or whether the car merely "toppled" off it?