EM TuningSky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

Bloody ridiculous oil consumption on 2.0 TDI 140!!

this subject has been talked about in various thread but I felt strongly about this today.
    I am at the end of my 2 week road trip. I have been touring France- belgium- luxembourg-germany-switzerland down to the south of France.
    I have racked up a tad under 3000 miles. I started with a full 1L bottle in Sheffield on the 15/01. By today this bottle has under 250 ml left and I'm still only around the Paris suburbs!!
    That is ridiculous. I have never owned a car that needed oil topping up so frequently. How can audi say 1L every 1000 miles is acceptable??
    I was wondering wether or not to go to Audi on my return as I'm finding it a tad worrying..
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    That does seem a little high, although I was led to believe Audi wont be interested unless its using more than 1litre/1000 miles.

Seems like a lottery as to how much they use, my Dads has never needed a single drop in over 30k, whereas mine uses around 1litre/6000 miles which I dont think is too bad.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

2nd Gear

Status
    its not just audi that say 1 litre per 1000 miles is acceptable, most other car manufacturers say the same.

I've heard that deisels are more succeptible to oil consumption due to the higher compression generated within the cylinder.

My old Honda s2000 used to use about 300ml per 1000 miles, engine was fine, performed perfectly just used a fair amount of oil throughout the 60000 miles I owned it for.
    Last edited by julians; 26th January 2008 at 20:28.

6th Gear

Status
    Seems to be just the luck of the draw my 140 tdi used a litre of oil every 10,000 miles current 170 tdi iv'e just put half a litre in at 11,000 miles.
    Friend of mine has a 140 alpha diesel and puts a litre of oil in every 1500 miles.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

1st Gear

Status
    How many miles has it done?

If the mileage is still low, it might help to give it a really good thrashing regularly to make sure the piston rings are properly bedded.
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster

4th Gear

Status
    It's on just over 20k now. The car has been faultless since new **touch wood** it's just the bloody oil consumption...
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

6th Gear

Status
    I'm around 1500 miles to a litre too, ish.
    I don't tend to take note of mileage between fill ups now.
    It's futile, because Audi will only do something about it if it drops below around 800 miles litre.
    So I just wait for the warning and chuck in a litre.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

1st Gear

Status
    Still worth giving it a serious thrashing regularly; not going to damage anything and it may help the oil problem.
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster