3 Steering Racks in under 9K miles

HeliChris

Learning to fly 3D
Reaction score
Hi All

Just to let you all know watch out for those steering rack problems, my original rack lasted until 2700 miles, the next was good until 8100 miles, and now the 3rd rack has gone at 8900 miles. This is the worst one it also have very patchy assistance at parking speeds.

If you have a griding noise when turing right (and not left) at parking speeds then get down to the dealer.

Chris.

PS my car is a 2.0TFSI Quattro SB Sport, the miles are mainly fast A roads and Motorway.

do you turn the steering frequently when the car is stationary? might it be the servotronic system acting up?

The test drives at the dealer each time take about 30 seconds for the mechanic to diagnose, and the car always come back fixed for a time.

I learned to drive in an age when power steering was a luxury car thing only, and have never suffered the classic tyre wear when the wheel is turned without the car moving. I have ample on-drive parking at home and the cars main destination, and very rarely parallel park, also never had a steering rack problem with any of my other 18 previous new cars, some with a lot higher mileage. What I am basically saying is don't thing its me, it's Audi (or their parts suppliers) issue.

Chris.

Makes me laugh this one

Took me two dealers and 3 visits to get them to agree that it was badgered, even though its a well known problem, some BS about the dealer having to "see" the problem in order to claim the warranty monies back from Audi

Do they really think people keep coming back to show them problems for fun?

I've had two, the latest one's lasted for 25k miles so far..........

Nelson_Wilbury said:
Should've left the first one for about 3000 miles as the noise dissapears after a period of time.

Does the "lumpy" assistance go away too? in my view this was the most dangerous aspect