Roof Bars / Bike rack for Sportback

RobB

Reaction score
Hi

I need to get some bars and two bike carriers for the car.

I do not have the Sportback integrated roof rails so need to get some with the feet to attach to the car. However, Audi apparently do not sell roof bars for Sportbacks without the integrated rails, which even the Parts guy who double checked and rang me back said was mad as they are available in Germany but not approved for UK (available for 3dr though).

Has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions? I know Thule has stuff that will fit, but the aero bars are £170 all in. Any other makes, options? Anyone prefer to go for the bootlid type rack for 2 bikes instead of ones for the roof? Although it is an Sline, it does not have the boot spoiler.

Thanks

Have a look here: www.roofbox.co.uk

I went with Thule stuff in the end for my Golf and luckily all I have to change is the foot adapters and it will all fit on the Audi (same as you with out the roof rails).

Personally I'd go with the roof option - no nasty accidents with the bikes damaging the boot plus it means you can get in the boot with the bikes on :)

I didn't fancy having anything touching the paintwork on my car - it will scatch it or it mark in one way or another no matter what material it is made from.

Decided to buy a bike bag then load it in the boot with the back seats down. This obviously isn't an option if you still need people in the back seats at the same time!

I went for the bikes on the roof, I do however have the alloy roof bars - which if your brave can be retro fitted, I picked up a set of the cross bars off ebay for £36, used but genuine Audi and unmarked until I dropped them on the garage floor :)

I use thule bars on my S3, and on the wifes pug 206 before this, no problems with scratched/damaged paint providing its free of grit/dirt before you mount the bars.

Can get 3 bikes on the roof.

I used to use a boot mounted carrier on other cars, but it was a major pain in the **** (but significantly cheaper) compared to roof mounted racks.