Monster MotorsportVolks Autos

Thread: blue headlights

Reverse Gear

Status

Smile blue headlights

Hi guys, I wondered if any of you could tell me how I would go about getting the headlights of my A3 to give that sort of blueish look which I have seen on other cars. I'm sure one of you can help!

Sophie

2. # ADS
    ADS

GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Blue Lights

You could ask at your local garage if they have the Philips bulbs with the bluish effect. Forget the exact name of them but they aren't expensive.

Generally speaking people try to avoid the bluish tinge though. I can't think why you would want your lights to look blue. Why not white?
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

5th Gear

Status
    Hi, the blueish light is usually down to xenons, you can fit aftermarket kits but peoples opinions vary, I went down the route of after market bulbs - Philips extreme, you will find a post in this section.

If you do go for aftermarket the colour of the bulb is dictated by the colour ref.

Neutral

Status
    Xenons aftermarket kits are expensive and have various problems attached to fitting them(laws for auto-washers etc).
    You can buy aftermarket replacement bulbs for the effect your after, as SteveTDCi has mentioned, and if its the effect your after, this would certainly be the easy option.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, thats really useful. But now youve got me worried that they may be a bit naff? Whats the consensus??
    sophie

6th Gear

Status
    the general concensus on the forum 'seems' to be yes they are naff but I think its about a 70/30 split from what Ive seen. But, if you like them why should you care what everyone else thinks!

4th Gear

Status
    Hi Sophie,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want the 'blue' look - try these
    Philips Blue Vision

Personally I think the blue bulbs give less light and as the 8P already suffers from fairly poor lighting I'd recommend going for these instead.
    Philips X-Treme

These give a quoted 80% brighter light and it is a pure white light. I've had them in my car for about a year now and rate them very highly.

Hope that helps.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

1st Gear

Status
    a slighty different way ifs to go adn buy yourself a set of HID's I have got 8500k in mine and they are slighty blue and bright as hell.

looking around 100-150 price range .

My 04 plate is a H7 fitment.

a slighty different way ifs to go adn buy yourself a set of HID's I have got 8500k in mine and they are slighty blue and bright as hell.
    Fitting different bulbs and your car remains legal. Fitting aftermarket HID makes your car illegal. More more information and views see this past thread.

MTec HID Kit - Recommended for all Audi Drivers
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    Fitting different bulbs and your car remains legal. Fitting aftermarket HID makes your car illegal. More more information and views see this past thread.

Right ok i understand the thread and everything but i did have there in my BMW and have transfered them across and i have not been stopped by the law for this.

Also i have checked when i had my BMW and 8500k is on the border of being illegal anything over this is illegal to my knowledge.

5th Gear

Status

Yawn

Dave, you seem very keen to jump on this bandwaggon every time you get a chance, fitting different bulbs is not necessarily legal is it now?

Dave, you seem very keen to jump on this bandwaggon every time you get a chance, fitting different bulbs is not necessarily legal is it now?
    Just pointing out the facts and giving the member the chance to go back and read the previous thread, with all it's different views on the subject.

Fitting 'high output' bulbs is perfectly legal, providing the power of the bulb does nor exceed 55/60w. Fitting 80w or 100w ouput bulbs is not legal.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    my post about 80+ Philips

Haven't got Xenons .....

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi
    Yawn

Glad someone else noticed this!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Now, now boys no need for squabbling! Thankx tho', i think i'll go for them.

sophie

5th Gear

Status
    Fitting 'high output' bulbs is perfectly legal, providing the power of the bulb does nor exceed 55/60w. Fitting 80w or 100w ouput bulbs is not legal.

They may be perfectly legal in the eyes of the law, however they are uprated with a change of gas content, and a different filament so may well dazzle other road users, something I thought you were heavily against and thought selfish of other roadusers.

In my view Sophie - so long as you align the headlamps after any mods if necessary, no one will call you selfish

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thankx Bicardi, i will. i try to be considerate!

sophie