Multiple Problems - Possessed car and flashing lights

mikeoh

Reaction score
Hello all,

Right - aside from idling problems that i mentioned many moons ago (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30414 7th post down) and have yet to resolve I now have a new issue.

This morning went to my car (A3 1.6 2000) and the hazards were flashing no sound from alarm and the battery was flat so I had to jump start it. I had this happen once before last March when i'd left the interior lights on and flattened the battery except that time the alarm siren was also going off.

Last week I did the same interior light trick and flattened the battery. I had to jump start the car to move it from impending floodwaters in the lower level of the office underground car park (which never came) and didn't have chance to run it afterwards until a few days later. So when I came back to it a few days later I had to jump it again (no suprise) and it's run fine since then until this morning.

So this morning i have the issue with the lights and flat battery. Jump started it no problem but the passenger air bag light (which comes on when you've turned the passenger airbag off with the key) and the air bag light on the dash are both flickering at me. Also, now it's parked up at work and the hazard lights keep randomly coming on. So for now it's sat in the office car park with the battery disconnected and is booked into Leeds Audi on Thursday.

To add to this i suspect the lack of alarm siren is due to the 4beeps of slow alarm death that i used to get from the rear quarter but haven't heard since the incident last March.

For the love of all things holy, please can anyone help me before the stealership rob me of £1000+ to fix the idling issue and the random flashing of lights.

I've heard talk on here of water in the ecu. But why this should happen now I don't know as it's been in much wetter weather than what we've had recently?

I want to cry :bye:

Possibly get your battery fully charged then take the car for a good run and then see what is happening to it.Might need your airbag warning lights reset after flat battery situation.

ah, ****** just realised this is in the wrong part of the forum and should be in the other A3 bit. Would some kind mod please move it?

Managed to get the car home tonight without the lights flashing (eventually). Got home got out and they started flashing again.

Will try a new battery tomorrow and see if that helps :(

theres always been rumours around of jump starting cars causing damage to the ecu...

Cooni i'd like to think that the manufacturers would put in some circuitry to prevent that.

Anyhow, the saga continues. I re-connected the battery this morning no problems, got to work with no problems! :happy:

Took the car to kwik-fit, the battery was stuffed and we think was the original. So I got it replaced. All appears fine still.

Think I will still take it to Audi tomorrow to get the idling issue fixed (since it's been doing it for well over a year now!!)

Fingers crossed, overdraft on standby! :sadlike:

Hmmm, a bit of cautious optimism now!

The battery does seam to have fixed the random flashing lights and air bag warning as they've never reappeared.

I took the car to Audi who adjusted the throttle position (or potentiometer or something) which made the throttle response better. However they said I needed a power steering pressure switch replacing (which they didn't have in) to fix the idling problem. They charged me for and hours labour and that was that.

The very next day the wind nearly took the drivers door off!!!!:motz: It ******** the hinges and the thing wouldn't shut properly (fortunately the panel was fine). Needless to say I was gutted! :crying: I took it straight down the road to my local mechanic and left it with them to fix the door and whilst they were at it to fit the power steering pressure switch.

Two days later the door fits perfectly again and (fingers crossed!!!) it's been idling fine. However, I will only be convinced the problem has gone after a week of no issues.

So all in all this month,

New battery £44
One hours labour and diagnostic at Audi £88
Door realligned and switch fitted £140

Now, can anyone recommend a good interior upholsterer?