Knocking noise from rear on sportback TDI quattro

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
It was a rare occasion, but I found myself sitting in the back of my 170 TDI quattro the other week. And I heard a strange drumming noise coming from the passenger rear wheel. It sounded a little like the noise a worn wheel bearing might make. Alarmingly there is also a faint smell of rubber coming from the wheelarch after long motorway journeys. Before you ask, the tyre is fine and holds pressure.

Any thoughts as to what it might be?
Anyone had any similar issues on their sportbacks/quattros?

It would be good to know before I book it into Audi...

Back shocks were known to be bad, but that was a couple of years ago.

when the 4 rear wheel bearings i've had replaced have gone, they're usually coupled with a drumming noise - no smell though!

The first time you take the car in they will blame the tyres, fortunately I had them replaced and they kinda had to agree it may be the wheel bearings,

Thanks bacardi. How many miles had you done?

Have you changed your wheels?
Could it be slight rubbing that might not happen if you are not in the back
just a thought

maars said:
Thanks bacardi. How many miles had you done?

no problems! To be honest, for the first set of rear replacement I can't remember, I guess it started around 18k, the last set were replaced at about 45-50k

The first front was replaced with less than 5k on it, then they seem to co incide with the need for new tyres,

Sounds like similar to what I'm getting with my 2004 A3 Sport. I getting an occasional rattling noise from the driver side rear wheel arch, and a drone at higher speeds. It's worse when turning left too.

I'm assuming it's the wheel bearing gone, so am getting that replaced. If it's not that then it's probably the suspension strut which isn't good as that'll be pretty expensive as both rears will need changing.

If you push down on that corner of the car however it doesn't bounce or act oddly however, so fingers crossed it is just the wheel bearing. Assuming you've tried this with yours?

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it the bounce test tomorrow.
The wheels are OEM 18s and all I've done is swap the wheels front to rear...but it didn't do it before so maybe there's something amiss with the old ns/f now ns/r wheel or tyre? Failing that it may be a wheel bearing but the car only has 12k on the clock....which would be a tad worrying...