A few questions for new owner....

sprout99

Reaction score
Hello

We've finally picked up car and very very pleased

I have a few questions....

1. Can people check their DIS. If sitting in passenger seat there is a faint black line approx 3rd way down - looks like it supposed to be there but can someone confirm? (can't really see it when driving and it seems to start 2 pixels in and finish 2 pixels from end)

2. DSG gearbox. What does the gearbox code HLE mean? Is this specific to car type? Sport maybe different to SE box?

3. Does DSG gearbox have winter setting? i.e lower torque for snow? We forcast snow tonight and due to it's very throttle sensitive nature i'm kacking it.

Thanks in advance

Ian

I didn't think there was a specific winter setting like on the tiptronic boxes, I thought the "electronics" took control !

HLE code ? where are you reading that from ?

DIS, I presume you mean the section where the temp/time is seperated by the radio display ? if so there is a feint black line.

DSG gearbox. What does the gearbox code HLE mean? Is this specific to car type? Sport maybe different to SE box?

I can answer this question because my previous A3 2.0TDI-140 was an SE spec and had the same HLE gearbox code.

According to the workshop manual, up to the end of 2007 there were 29 different codes for the DSG gearbox. My current car has the code JPQ. The HLE was used from 05/04. Basically they mean slight differences for different modes and markets, some having different ratios to others. Any minor internal difference and the box gets a new code.

i work in automotive supply (oem parts) and can believe that is the case about a million different sufficies

thanks for answers.

I was begining to think DIS was faulty - phew !!

other than that DSG driving is brilliant. Reversing off drive at home which is reverse hill start takes some practice.

sprout99 said:
3. Does DSG gearbox have winter setting? i.e lower torque for snow? We forcast snow tonight and due to it's very throttle sensitive nature i'm kacking it.

Thanks in advance

Ian

No winter setting, I'm afraid.
DSG in snow is somewhat harrowing.
Getting going can be difficult, but I find stopping the hardest.
As soon as you release the throttle, you get pretty sudden reverse loadings, which make the wheels lock before you even touch the brakes.
If you want my advice, make friends with the handbrake.
It's saved me from ploughing straight on a few times.

SteveTDCi said:
I didn't think there was a specific winter setting like on the tiptronic boxes, I thought the "electronics" took control !

HLE code ? where are you reading that from ?

DIS, I presume you mean the section where the temp/time is seperated by the radio display ? if so there is a feint black line.

yes the divide between radio / fault area and temp / driving info