Haven't got Xenons .....

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
neither have I so I did the next best thing .... fit Philips Extreme 80% brighter bulbs. Ok they probably ain't as good as genuine xenons but since i'm not a fan of aftermarket ones ....

Pictures show before and after, they are definatly whiter the pictures in the size below don't show the real life difference.

DSCF0217Small.jpg

DSCF0221Small.jpg

Not bad for £25. One thing I found out, the A3's headlamps arn't designed as well as the MKV Golf. With the Golf you take the cover off and twist the bulb holder and out pops the bulb, no wires to pull off. The A3 is a little more fiddly.

Good stuff! Where did you buy them from?

Scuse my ignorance as I have not changed a bulb on the Audi A3.

DO they take very long to change?

Cheers

M

No they don't take long but they are fiddly as you can't see what you are doing. The owners handbook actually says which way to twist them to get them out. It took me ages when trying to get the new ones back in without reading that section but it was dead easy afterwards. I guess from start to finish I could replace two headlights in perhaps 5 mins max. Not sure about side lights though.

These were actually the same bulbs I put in my car and they are whiter although I'm not sure they made a huge difference to what I can see despite a claim of being 80% brighter. Altering the hieght that the light projects out at made a much bigger difference. Be carefull though to not raise them so much that you blind all oncoming traffic. It's really easy to do so I'd try that first before fiddling around with new bulbs.

Not sure on the A4, I've done an indicator bulb on the B6 and that was a pain, I think you can get at the bulbs under the bonnet. Its fiddly more than anything. I'd allow a max of 15 minutes either side.

The bulbs I picked up off ebay, acc4u I think was the shop name, They were £25 inc delivery, Powerbulbs are £32.99 at the moment.

I was hoping to change the bulbs in my fogs for something whiter. Can anybody recommend anything? Is it a difficult job to change them? I was hoping to but them and tell Audi to fit them before I take deivery. Might as well get everything done before I get the car.

I have heard folk saying that the fogs can be really yellow looking. Comments?

GlasgowRangers said:
I was hoping to change the bulbs in my fogs for something whiter. Can anybody recommend anything? Is it a difficult job to change them? I was hoping to but them and tell Audi to fit them before I take deivery. Might as well get everything done before I get the car.

I have heard folk saying that the fogs can be really yellow looking. Comments?
I've always thought that fog lights were supposed to be more yellow as they can penetrate fog better. Blueer lights cause a lot more of that horrible refectance (that you get if you put your full beams on). blue light is scattered much more easily by aerosols that other (longer) wavelengths.

I'd keep them as they are if I was you. How often do you have your fog lights on anyway? and in those situations no one if going to be looking to see whether you car has coordinated light colours!

Think the fogs are meant to be yellow for a reason. Cuts through the fog better