Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Unhappy Arrghh!! Anyone had locking wheel-nut drilled off before?!

I think one of the rear wheel bearings has gone on my recently purchased A3, and I decided first of all take the noisy-side rear wheel off and replace it with the space saver just to discount a buckled wheel... however it turns out I dont have the locking wheel-nut bit!!!!

Has anyone been in this situation before? What does it cost to get them drilled off? Or can I go to Audi and get them to find out what nut remover it needs and buy one?

Any help appreciated!
    2004 A3 2.0 TDi Sport - Silver - Remapped

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I think there are a limited number of combinations and Audi should be able to provide you with a replacement.
    Paul

A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback SE S-tronic Ice Silver

6th Gear

Status
    I had an issue this weekend with knackering my locking wheel nut adaptor when swapping my wheels. The dealer had a box of about 20 different locking adaptors. I used one of theirs which matched the number on mine.

But now I need to buy another matching locking wheel nut adaptor. My dealer said he will order a new one for me.

Neutral

Status
    Luckily found mine lodged under one of the seats

Thanks for the pointers anyhow!
    2004 A3 2.0 TDi Sport - Silver - Remapped

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig
    I had an issue this weekend with knackering my locking wheel nut adaptor when swapping my wheels. The dealer had a box of about 20 different locking adaptors. I used one of theirs which matched the number on mine.

But now I need to buy another matching locking wheel nut adaptor. My dealer said he will order a new one for me.
    I'm a bit concerned about there only being 20 different locknuts. What would my comeback be should my locknutted wheels be stolen by an enterprising thief who has the full set of locknut adaptors?

I had assumed that there was some sort of database where the dealer could look up which locknut your car has should you need to order a replacement. Something similar to the car key system.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    I'm a bit concerned about there only being 20 different locknuts.
    This been my reason for not using Audi locking bolts, I use an aftermarket set.

Its the same with Mercedes, Last year I was removing an alloy on a Mercedes at work and broke the locking wheel key. So a trip to Mercedes and the workshop chappie came out with this case of locking wheel keys (think there were 20-25 ish) tried each key until he got the right one. Then ordered me a new one
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

Neutral

Status
    i work for mondial, we look after all the major manufacters, bmw , mini , merc,
    i carry bmw, new x old, mini , landrover master set of locking wheel nut keys, and the same is theres only about 20 for each make.
    my advice is a set of mcgaurd, these are the best on the market