Factory IPOD

Oli.

Reaction score
Im on the cusp of finalising my order for my S3, is the factory IPOD kit any good? Can you select individual tracks from the head unit - does it list them? Im coming from a 335D and the factory ipod is awesome - fully controllable.

Or am I better off getting a dension unit aftermarket?

http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php

Cheers

I think you get ipod connection for free now, but its not that good anyway.

Really? Im on about the docking station in the glovebox?

I think you now get an Aux input now, which will be fine for your iPod. Personally I wouldn't bother with the factory fit iPod kit - nothing is displayed on the headunit other than track 1 etc. and you get access to the first 5 playlists on CD 1-5, while CD 6 plays the whole iPod.

I've got a Dension kit, mainly because when my car was built the aux input wasn't included.

Now, I'd just use the aux input socket - i use the iPod interface to control it anyway. It's mounted on a Brodit mount on the left hand side of the centre console - the Brodit side mount (the one that goes on the left of the headunit) doesn't fit if you have the factory fit sat nav (RNS-E - definitely worth a retrofit by the way).

I didnt know that they all came with a plug now - where is it located?

Ref the SAT NAV, its certainly not something Ill be speccing, as I have a tomtom, however there is nothing like having wire trailing all over your dash!!!! On my BMW - 335D M Sport Touring, it is a 'must' to have sat nav - @ £2000+vat, and its a total load of *****!!! Doesnt even has postcode search, but would make the selling of it near impossible without it - well at a healthy discount anyway. If I decide at a later stage to fit it £599 off ebay is a bargain.

Here you go:

clicky

Definitely don't spec the sat nav on your order - it's well worth retrofitting though - not only satnav, but 2 SD card slots for your MP3s and if you've got factory fit Bluetooth (though this can be retrofitted as well) it can be integrate with your phone. Plus can all be voice controlled with a little effort - it's a great unit! You'll get it cheaper than £599 as well - I paid £450 for mine off fleabay.

Let us know when you've ordered and what spec you've gone for.

PS - welcome to the forum too mate :icon_thumright: