A3 Sportback - Should I go for an SE or Sport?

Which would you recommend?

• A3 Sportback SPORT

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • A3 Sportback SE (with sports suspension option and DIS)

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
Interesting you mention idiots, I dont recall in my post above calling anyone an idiot?

My childish cartoon was to highlight the behaviour on here, flogging a dead horse springs to mind.

So what you are actually saying in your last comment is that there is no need for moderation on a forum? If someone doesn't like something thats written they should just ignore it?

marriedblonde said:
Interesting you mention idiots, I dont recall in my post above calling anyone an idiot? Then you should have read your immature cartoon before posting it

My childish cartoon was to highlight the behaviour on here, flogging a dead horse springs to mind. Exactly what you are now doing

So what you are actually saying in your last comment is that there is no need for moderation on a forum? If someone doesn't like something thats written they should just ignore it?
Nope, I am saying do not moderate for moderations sake. If someone is rude or threatening, then absolutely but seeing as the only rudeness has come from the moderator, well go figure.

Anyway, I don't want to flog YOUR horse any longer so over and out on this thread from me, unless you care to moderate it back on track?

:bye:

M

Blimey - what has happened to this thread!!

As Harry Hill would say:

"There's only one way to sort this out..............................FIGHT"

Moisty said:
As you said, in your opinion. Certainly no confusion whatsoever on my part.

My statement still stands, my opinion is that the Focus is not a great drivers car, well not as great as the original poster believes and that I would have an A3 s-line quattro over ANY Focus any day.
Of course it is very subjective and there is no right or wrong answer. I considered an St-3 before buying the A3, I believe I would have been gutted had I gone through with that purchase.

M
Fair enough - as it has been deliberated upon at length in this thread, everyone has their own opinion. However, bear in mind that the A3 8P has been broadly criticised by the press for its ride, which includes both handling and comfort (thus Sport or SE), so the comparison is a lot less subjective than you may think.

Bowfer nailed it earlier in this thread: the Focus, and Fords in general, are disasterous ownership propositions - indeed, the main reason I bought my Sportback was for its residuals - but still lead the way in terms of driving enjoyment for the money.

Also consider that the most common Focus models will cost HALF what an A3 S-Line would new - food for thought.

I would hop in and say "ownership experience - EH?" but my mates Focus has had 3 steering racks so there is some truth to it I guess

The Audi "brand" certianly carries more kudos but I'm appauled at the ownership experience

As for SE vs Sport or S Line, the S-Line looks better in my opinion but the ride is absurd, I'd probably go for the sport as a compromise

Oh and Bowfer, You can get the back end out on an A3, takes a little teasing and you have to trick the stability control but it can be done, take your point though!

benw123 said:
LOL Geoff! Mind you, just to take your post very slightly seriously, if driving pleasure is top of your list then you wouldn't have bought an A3 - SE, Sport or S-Line.

Go drive a standard Ford Focus - any model or age, it doesn't matter - and you'll know what driving pleasure is all about. The different models in the A3 range mark out different trim and option packages, and that's it.

I had a 2.0 ltr petrol focus bought from new. Part chopped for an A3 TDI S-line which out performed the focus in every way i.e. handling (big time), performance, finish and comfort. I actually test drove the A3 on the 13 miles of fast twisty and bumpy country roads that i used to drive to work on in the focus ...... A3 was leagues ahead in every repect.

Kris said:
I had a 2.0 ltr petrol focus bought from new. Part chopped for an A3 TDI S-line which out performed the focus in every way i.e. handling (big time), performance, finish and comfort. I actually test drove the A3 on the 13 miles of fast twisty and bumpy country roads that i used to drive to work on in the focus ...... A3 was leagues ahead in every repect.
Kris, I have a feeling that those comparing an A3 and a 'great handling' Focus perhaps have never owned a Focus?

:icon_thumright:

He's mine ...

2004_1024Image0002.jpg

2004_1024Image0006.jpg

and to prove I had an ST on 3 day demo ...

2006_0620Image0033Small.jpg

also had this on a 3 day demo as it was the alternative to the A3

2006_0627Image0040Small.jpg

You cannot beat the feelgood factor of the Audi, but the noise of the ST .. mmmm

Moisty said:
Anyway, I don't want to flog YOUR horse any longer so over and out on this thread from me, unless you care to moderate it back on track?

:bye:

M

Moisty said:
Kris, I have a feeling that those comparing an A3 and a 'great handling' Focus perhaps have never owned a Focus?

?????

Well my thread has gone off course to the say the least!

It was never intended to be a "my SE is better than your Sport" thread.. :rolleyes:

Anyway I have now placed the order for the SE with the spec I stated before.

Have been quoted April delivery as its a factory build - Its going to be a long wait but at least that gives me some time to sell the Fabia!

SteveTDCi said:
He's mine ...

You cannot beat the feelgood factor of the Audi, but the noise of the ST .. mmmm

Steve, my apologies to you. I was trying to make a generalisation that I would suggest that most people will have an opinion based on reading articles rather than actually owning an A3 and a Focus.

In my defence I did 'question' rather than 'state' hence the word "perhaps".

Cheers

Gerry

GeoffT said:
sshhhhh - don't mention the war - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

That made me spit my coffee...excellent.:respekt:

Moisty said:

Sorry Moisty :)

[URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.wood50/Car/pic1.jpg"][URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.wood50/Car/pic1.jpg"][/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.wood50/Car/pic2.jpg"][URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.wood50/Car/pic2.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

This was my fully-loaded ST170 which I owned from new prior to our Sportback.

In an attempt to draw this thread to a close, the reason I mentioned the Focus is because I get irritated when people think the SE is the "pipe and slippers" option, and that Sport and S-Line owners somehow think they have this wonderfully balanced, sweet handling machine. Agreed, these two will probably corner flatter than the SE, but my point is that no 8P owner should start singing too loudly about how great their cars handle.

Don't get me wrong: I love my Sportback. I sold the ST170 and my wife px'd her Golf so we could afford it, which meant some compromises. In my view, the handling and ride was the biggest compromise - which is why I complain - but given that our car has held on to 60% of its value since new, is beautifully made, reliable, good to look at and works well as a family car is more important nowadays.

Finally, before this post prompts a rush of further A3 vs Focus comments, please, please, please do your research - the press are unanimous that the Focus is the better drive. :friends:

benw123 said:
In an attempt to draw this thread to a close, the reason I mentioned the Focus is because I get irritated when people think the SE is the "pipe and slippers" option, and that Sport and S-Line owners somehow think they have this wonderfully balanced, sweet handling machine. Agreed, these two will probably corner flatter than the SE, but my point is that no 8P owner should start singing too loudly about how great their cars handle.
:friends:

:applaus:

Harder ride does not equal better handling, the S-Line is, in my opinion, way too hard!

Mates 3 series M sport has a better damping, better bound/rebound setup, meaning it handles better and is still softer, the A3 S Line is a little bit tough, as Bowfer put it quite well, makes you **** blood!

benw123 said:
Sorry Moisty :)
This was my fully-loaded ST170 which I owned from new prior to our Sportback.

Don't get me wrong: I love my Sportback. I sold the ST170 and my wife px'd her Golf so we could afford it, which meant some compromises. In my view, the handling and ride was the biggest compromise - which is why I complain - but given that our car has held on to 60% of its value since new, is beautifully made, reliable, good to look at and works well as a family car is more important nowadays.

Finally, before this post prompts a rush of further A3 vs Focus comments, please, please, please do your research - the press are unanimous that the Focus is the better drive. :friends:

Nice post Ben!

J.

I've never ****** blood yet, although there was once a scary inceident when I ate a whole family size jar of beetroot.

benw123 said:

Oh for freaks sake, your post was excellent right up to the 'finally' bit and then you go and **** it and undo all the good work! Yet another one who thinks they must be right becasue the magazine says so.

:shutup2: :shutup2: :shutup2: :shutup2:

You could be a mod.

M

marriedblonde said:
Getting a little bored of the moderator comments. If you dont like how the site is run, it's simple, go else where.

J.

And I am getting extremely bored of you sticking your nose in on my comments. If you don't like my posts, its simple, dont read them or at least dont react to them.

You think I am going to leave because of one rogue mod? LOL

M

Would all the people trying to make ford focus's sound like nice cars atleast post some pictures of them in their best light. all I see here is a blue one with crappy chrome on its boot lid and center wide boy exhausts and a very normal looking silver 'school run' one

treblesykes said:
Would all the people trying to make ford focus's sound like nice cars atleast post some pictures of them in their best light. all I see here is a blue one with crappy chrome on its boot lid and center wide boy exhausts and a very normal looking silver 'school run' one

here here !

M

looks were never mentioned - clearly we will believe (and in my opinion quite rightly) that the A3 is the better looking car.

however, if the discussion points were around which handles better, then model for model, In my experience, the focus would beat the A3 for "driving pleasure" - even with 18inch rims my sportback understeers (while moo'ing) all over the place, getting it to do anything else requires some interesting feats of dexterity not usually recommended/endorsed for the queens highways

however just because people say the focus may handle better than an A3 doesnt mean it handles better when compared to other cars out there, certainly I can think of a fair few cars that make the focus look like a wet bag of custard.

oh and finally, it doesn't mean people are saying the focus is a better car, that would be a little bit silly

bacardi said:
:applaus:

Harder ride does not equal better handling, the S-Line is, in my opinion, way too hard!

Mates 3 series M sport has a better damping, better bound/rebound setup, meaning it handles better and is still softer, the A3 S Line is a little bit tough, as Bowfer put it quite well, makes you **** blood!

Yeah, I was given s-line as a tester and you could feel every bump in the road. I personally didnt see this as a problem until my mrs kindly informed me that if was to go with a harder suspension I'd have to buy her a supply sports bra's to prevent her from bouncing away... Thought it was best to avoid this, not just because of the cost of extra bra's but because I'd probably crash with not keeping my eyes on the road!! :hubbahubba:

treblesykes said:

Chrome was standard on the Ghia and I never got around to changing it, exhausts were fine though and as it was my car i liked them, I still think audi do some tacky things with there interiors. Anyway this is all getting toooo far off topic we should be pleased that the decision to get another audi into the club has been made.

Moisty said:
And I am getting extremely bored of you sticking your nose in on my comments. If you don't like my posts, its simple, dont read them or at least dont react to them.

Surely even you must realise to be a mod you need to read peoples posts...

marriedblonde said:
Surely even you must realise to be a mod you need to read peoples posts...

OK, but surely even you must realise that you dont have to jump in on them and take them off course. If I haven't broken a rule of this site then why bother keep interrupting?

If I have broken a rule then please point it out so that I may change my approach appropriately.

I thank you.

M

This is a forum people read each others posts and either ignore or reply If you don't like replys then dont post

I have the best of both worlds, an SE for toys and comfort and 2.0TFSI to provide the power. I learnt from my A4 Sport Avant to avoid the harder ride and that the body trim is on the outside where you dont get any advantage as to drive, its just nice for others to look at!