quarter panel

audi_driver said:
is that replacable ?

Everything’s replaceable on a car, but more often then not cost is a major factor on whether an extreme like this is done. Can you exemplify why you think you need to?

Well the left side of my arch meeting the quarter panel has had a repair job done before but wasnt up to my standards, just wasnt perfect so I think replacing the the whole panel is easier. Whats ur take on this? What price would i get quoted do u think as the quarter panel is welded on..

Depends on the hourly rate of your bodyshop, but it wont be cheap. new q/panel is a pretty big job requiring a lot of welding.

Why not just get a decent bodyshop to put right the original problem?

I would get the repair done again as has been said, rear quarter is a big job and in my mind would devalue you car greatly. I would never buy a car that had required a rear quarter.

Mark

The problem is its not really noticable, so i dont think any garages will try and repair it for me

audi_driver said:
The problem is its not really noticable, so i dont think any garages will try and repair it for me

Eh? So by saying its not really noticeable you are implying that if you look hard you can see the problem? Any bodyshop will try and repair it for you if you are paying them money. I cant imagine anyone turning away a paying job to be honest.

Fitting a new Q/panel cant be the solution IMHO.

Sounds as though this may be one of those blemishes that will drive you mad, because you know it's there, every time you look at the car it sticks out like a sore thumb. If you do get it repaired again make sure the repairer is aware you will not accept nothing other than a perfect job, had a similar thing done myself and ended up getting it done 3 times before I was happy.

Mark

3 times!? hope they didnt make u pay for all the 3 jobs mate. What was it u got done anyway ?

audi_driver said:
3 times!? hope they didnt make u pay for all the 3 jobs mate. What was it u got done anyway ?

Had the rear quarter on my old silver 8L 1.8T painted about 6yrs ago, it took them 3 goes because of the awful finish, paint looked cloudy with no real colour to it, they blamed water based paints. That was a highly recommended BMW paint shop as well.

Mark

changing the quarter panel to get rid of a blemish is like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer!

it would be a repair bill nudging the 4 figures easily!

Also you need to remember that the paint finish on the quarter panel might be not perfect.

Best thing to do is go to a good reccomended bodyshop and let them know what the problem is and see what they suggest, they could even just polish the fault out or if its bad then they will take the paint back, refill it and then repaint it.