A3 MSFW "No funct"

g-man

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just the MSFW retro-fitted to my A3, my car has the factory fitted bluetooth prep and this works fine. However, on the MSFW when I press the phone button it comes up with "No funct" on the display. Pressing the mode button does nothing.

I know this is not correct behaviour, but is this just something somebody has forgot to enable?

It was fitted by a dealer if that matters.

Cheers
G-man

Have they re-coded the car? This needs to be done so that the car knows the MFSW is now present.

s8craig said:
Im pretty sure you do need to recode the can gateway (module 19) and maybe the wheel itself (module 15)

I forgot to mention that the volume, track wheels work ok. The real reason I went for it was for the phone functions though.

Does it sound like they have just forgotten to recode it?

Thanks in advance
G-man

Just get it back to the dealer mate , tell them the phone funtions not working!

p

phantom said:
Just get it back to the dealer mate , tell them the phone funtions not working!

p

Yeah, been on the phone to them, it's taking a bit to get through what the problem is!!

I know it's not right, cos the courtesy car had the msfw and it said "phone not installed" when you pressed that button.

Cheers
G-man

Just reading the manual, is it possible that the "speech control system" is not installed? Since the msfw fit is a non-factory fit, I'm wondering if this is the problem.

Thanks
G-man

The speech control system is for controlling the RNS-e, It is not required for blueetooth phone prep.

It is almost certainly that they have not recoded the car so that it knows about the new multifunction wheel.

The only other thing it could be is that you have the wrong steering wheel controller module. If you have cruise control you will be ok but if not then you may have to change this module. Do you know if they changed this unit when doing the retrofit?

marms said:
The speech control system is for controlling the RNS-e, It is not required for blueetooth phone prep.

It is almost certainly that they have not recoded the car so that it knows about the new multifunction wheel.

The only other thing it could be is that you have the wrong steering wheel controller module. If you have cruise control you will be ok but if not then you may have to change this module. Do you know if they changed this unit when doing the retrofit?

I have been told that the speech control system is not fitted to my car, hence the reason for the "No funct" on the display when pressing the "phone" button (the one on the right).

It would appear that you can also use the speech control for dialing/storing numbers (it had this function in the loan A3 I had - with no RNS-E).

The "mode" button does not work at all, although the volume/CD track works fine. I guess this is a coding fault.

I had cruise retrofitted on the car before I bought it, so I suspect the module was changed.

It is going back again next week (the dealer isn't local - 80+ miles away) so it's not exactly a quick fix.

I'm told that there is no way to retrofit the speech control, which is a shame as I planned to put in an RNS-E at some point in the future.

Thanks
G-man

I think you need to find another dealer - they are telling you rubbish !

You do not need SDS for the bluetooth to work

SDS is part of the RNS-e system. Non SDS units can now be easily upgraded to SDS via a software update. You will however have to rewire the microphone but that is also easy.

The mode button does nothing if you do not have the RNS-e.

The bluetooth module under your seat has the required speech capabilities already built into it.

I would suggest you find someone local to you who has access to VAG-COM and who knows what they are doing and get the coding sorted.

marms said:

The scroll wheels work which suggests the correct steering ECU is fitted, but it's certainly worth checking is the correct part number. Also check the steering wheel coding on module 16, (not 15 that's the airbag) with vagcom. Mine is coded 0004042 the important bits being -
xxx4xxx - MFSW with radio, telephone & voice control, sounds like yours is set to 2 which is radio controls only
xxxxx4x - In my case board computer & cruise control if you don't have cruise this should be a 1

And also check the long coding for module 19 and look to see if these bits are set.
Byte 02 Bit 0 Steering Wheel Electronics
Byte 03 Bit 7 Telephone

Good luck!

g-man said:
I have been told that the speech control system is not fitted to my car, hence the reason for the "No funct" on the display when pressing the "phone" button (the one on the right).

It would appear that you can also use the speech control for dialing/storing numbers (it had this function in the loan A3 I had - with no RNS-E).

The "mode" button does not work at all, although the volume/CD track works fine. I guess this is a coding fault.

The left hand button and scroll wheel allows you to access your phone book on the dis and initiate a call.
The righthand button lets you talk to the phone system, for example if you have setup a voice tag, press the righthand button and say "select name", the car replies "the name please", you say "bob", the car plays your recorded voice prompt then you say "dial" the car replies "the number is being dialled" Not quite knight rider but a very usefull feature!

Just thought why

They didn't code your phone module for MFSW.

0010322 should be the current coding.

Needs to be

0011422 for an A3 with MFSW

s8craig said:
Just thought why

They didn't code your phone module for MFSW.

0010322 should be the current coding.

Needs to be

0011422 for an A3 with MFSW

Thanks for the info. I've had someone call me and I cant answer the call on the MFSW, so definitely something wrong.

Is there absolutely no way to get the speech control fitted? Pretty gutting to spend that money and not have that function.

Cheers
G-man

JohnS3 said:
The left hand button and scroll wheel allows you to access your phone book on the dis and initiate a call.
The righthand button lets you talk to the phone system, for example if you have setup a voice tag, press the righthand button and say "select name", the car replies "the name please", you say "bob", the car plays your recorded voice prompt then you say "dial" the car replies "the number is being dialled" Not quite knight rider but a very usefull feature!

I may be wrong, but I think the accessing the phone book is only if you put a phone into the cradle and not on bluetooth? The right hand button just says "no funct" and according to the dealer, this is due to not having the speech control system fitted at the factory.

Cheers
G-man

Phonebook works over bluetooth or the cradle.

It's deffo the fact that the BT module has not been recoded for MFSW.

Thats why the VOLUME etc works, but not the PHONE functions, MODE, PTT etc.

The phone system HAS got SDS built in and will work if coded correctly as shown below.

Assuming DVD navigation and MFSW the module should be coded as follows...

Without navigation it is

s8craig said:
Phonebook works over bluetooth or the cradle.

It's deffo the fact that the BT module has not been recoded for MFSW.

Thats why the VOLUME etc works, but not the PHONE functions, MODE, PTT etc.

The phone system HAS got SDS built in and will work if coded correctly as shown below.

Assuming DVD navigation and MFSW the module should be coded as follows...

Without navigation it is

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll question the technician on it tomorrow and see what he says. I don't have the dvd navigation so the 0001322 seems like the answer :icon_thumright:

I take it the SDS is the speech bit? Sorry, not familiar with some of the terms. If its already in there and recoding will get it working then I'll be well happy!

Thanks
G-man

SDS = speech dialogue system

The phone has it built in, but requires the MFSW to make it work.

If your around Manchester I can recode it for you.

g-man said:
On the Hampshire/Berkshire border.

Cheers
G-man

If you were up north I'd take a look at it for you. Have a look in the vagcom section if you get no joy from the dealer, there must be someone close to you with vagcom who could fix your coding for you.

JohnS3 said:
... and probably willing to lend a hand too!
I sure am!

g-man - send me a PM and we'll get it sorted (I'm in Southampton).

You didn't go to Southampton Audi did you? They made a total mess of the engine ECU SW upgrade on my car and I had to get Camberley Audi to sort it out. I now use Southampton Audi only for parts (where Steve there is very good and very helpful), but I won't go near them for servicing or sales (I parked a 1 day old RS4 Avant right outside their showroom in July 2006 and not one of the sales people was even vaguely interested - they are just metal shifters not car people).

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to PetrolDave for recoding my car today. Was very happy to see the MSFW fully working despite the Audi centre telling me it was missing modules! Cheers Dave, you're a star!

Also thanks to s8craig for all his advice as well, nice to know there are folks out there ready to help at a moments notice.

:icon_thumright:

G-man

g-man said:
Just wanted to say a massive thanks to PetrolDave for recoding my car today. Was very happy to see the MSFW fully working despite the Audi centre telling me it was missing modules! Cheers Dave, you're a star!

Also thanks to s8craig for all his advice as well, nice to know there are folks out there ready to help at a moments notice.

:icon_thumright:

G-man
It was easy enough to solve - when the MFSW had been fitted the Audi Centre had recoded the SCSM correctly, but hadn't bothered to recode the phone module. So the phone module wasn't looking for the messages from the MFSW - hence the "No funct" messages on the DIS.

S8craig was 100% correct in his diagnosis.