Faulty boot lock

a3guy

Reaction score
i have found out why my alarm keeps going off , the car reports the boot is open even when it is not ,i have squirted wd40 into the boot lock itself but it seems there is a fault inside the tailgate.

anyone know where the sensor to tell the car the boot is open is.

It is actually part of the catch.

Quite common for the washer pier to come off the back of the rear wiper motor and the washer fluid causes the electronics in the lock to corrode, hence the false open boot / alarm problem. Is your rear washer working ok?

I'm afraid the only option is a new boot lock assembly.

8P3 827 505 for a 3 door
8P4 827 505 B for a sportback

If I remember correctly I think they are only about £20 and quite easy to DIY fit.

thanks for the part number exactly the bit i needed.

the connectors on the tailgate lock seemed to be corroded up, so i think the fault was more down to this than the lock it self, but changed it anyway.

The harness connector is corroded up aswell so that could do with being changed but i would not want to risk cutting through the cables, good squirt of wd40 did the trick.

do you happen to have the part number of the release latch as i managed to snap it off ?

Not quite sure what you are referring to when you say release catch.

Have a look at this pdf and hopefully you can find the part you require.

If it is item 5 on the diagram them it is part number 8P3 827 469 A

As I said in my first reply you need to find the reason for this corrosion. It is most likely down to washer fluid from the rear wash/wipe. The pipe comes off the back of the wiper motor. Definitely check this while you're in there.

Regards
Mark

yep thats the bit i need , do you know of any dealer that will post bits out to you as it is a 20mile round trip to my nearest dealer. ?

rear wash wipe seems to be fine, it works okay and no leaks.
the connector for the sensor was full of dirty muddy water so there might be a leak somewhere on the seals maybe, strange thing is there is no water in the boot or inside the tailgate.

Lets hope it stays water free. I'd keep checking to see if the water reapears.

As far as posting parts out. Most dealers will not hve a problems with this. Just ring their parts department up, quote the part number, ask the price inc P&P and pay them using your credit card.

Hi guys.

I currently have this problem with my 54 plate A3 3 door TDi.

It started about a month ago and I managed to temporarily fix the problem with some WD40. It has been fine with no alarm going off in the middle of the night waking up the neighbours, for the last month.

But last night it started happening again. I am planning to purchase a new boot lock and fit it with my dad as my dad has a good knowledge of cars etc. My only question is how to take the panel off the boot to get to the latch. I tried briefly when I was having the problems the first time around but there appears to be some "hidden" internal metal catches that stop the boot coming away when the srews have been removed. Since then I've only been able to peer behind this panel and squirt WD40 in through a straw!!

If anyone can point me in the direction of a quick how to, or something to help me get the panel off I'd appreciate it. I can't find anything through searching online, and I don't want to pull the panel too much through fear of braking it. It's probably really simple but I just cant figure it out.

Is there a Haynes manual yet?

Cheers.

pm Red Head - she recently had this problem and got it solved!

Audi_Butler said:
My only question is how to take the panel off the boot to get to the latch. If anyone can point me in the direction of a quick how to, or something to help me get the panel off I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to know how to do this too! Anyone?

Seems to be very common this fault had mine replaced and there was no sign of a water leak

just undoo the 2 screws first then just pull it off don`t worry it won`t break you might have to give it a good yank lol

Have the same problem with a 55 plate. Pipe to washer has pushed off due to being frozen. Have removed cover but cannot identify where sensor is located. Is it to the side of the lock where the solenoid activates the lock? Anyone got any photos?

Found the wires and plug up behind the catch. Its a bit different to the other photos I've seen.

Removed the latch and found the electrical connector was full of water. Blew out with an air line and the problem seems to be resolved. Now I have to replace the Washer motor which is the cause of the problem.

As the rear wash is pressed water ouzes out of the insides of the motor Will add a photo of the motor internals. £90 from Audi!

Sames happened to me here guys but mine doesn't seem to be electrical, more mechanical.

Checked the electrical plug for water as by coincidence I had a problem with my rear washer christmas time but it was dry, but enough time has passed for the water to dry up so the cause still isn't ruled out. (I have however fixed the rear washers since then).

See picture:
IMG00402-20100512-1847.jpg

The bit circled (the catch) is the faulty part. When I unlock the car and lock it, the arm inside the boot still moves, so this isn't the fault.

I simulated the closure of the boot on the lock with a screwdriver and when I pushed the screwdriver into the catch, it should click, simulating the locked boot, but it didn't, it was just loose -- which is why I'm assuming that the catch is shot?

There is a PDF document, mentined in this thread, of the lock assembly labelling the different parts; does anyone have this?

If not could someone confirm to me the part number I will need. I'm assuming it will be the main locking unit.

Thanks alot

hey guys i have the exact same problem going to try tackle it tomoro anybody any ideas for keeping alarm from going off in the mean time?

i to am having this problem,

i bought my car with it de-wipered with a rubber bung over the hole in the window!

my bet is this has been leaking water in through the bung,

over the weekend ill strip it down to check...........silicone inside the bung and a spray of wd40, hopefully this will do the trick!

I have the same problem, 06 A3 2.0 sline, car alarm going off all the time, window wiper stuck in middle of window, water jet not working, boot light flashing on bash board computer.
Alarm bit is the easy bit, just leave the car to lock its self this deactivates the alarm. My lock working fine so i am hoping i dont need to change this but thinking i need to change the rear washer and what else any one help?

I have the same problem, 06 A3 2.0 sline, car alarm going off all the time, window wiper stuck in middle of window, water jet not working, boot light flashing on bash board computer.
Alarm bit is the easy bit, just leave the car to lock its self this deactivates the alarm. My lock working fine so i am hoping i dont need to change this but thinking i need to change the rear washer and what else any one help?

Bet you've just recently started using the rear washer a lot more !

The answer is the wiper motor is knackered because leaking washer fluid penetrates the actual motor (not just the case ) and shorts out the contacts. Water jet not working because the pipe has popped off and every time you use the washer it spews out down the boot liner and into the boot lock and microswitch.

This causes the computer to think the boot is unlocked and triggers the dash computer/alarm. Very common fault - did it on mine last year after freezing weather.

The only solution is to replace the knackered wiper motor (approx £100 to buy and easy to fix) making sure you get the right one where the washer nozzle rotates with the blade (there are others on ebay which say they are for A3 but are not ). Remove the door lock and dry the microswitch with a hairdryer and hope it solves the problem. Make sure you have enough antifreeze washer fluid (50/50) so it doesn't freeze because if it does, the pipe will pop off again and you're back where you started !

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one as I am having similar issues.

My issue though doesn't concern the actual lock. I removed the locking mechanism and it works fine, it locks and unlocks manually (although I did manage to break the plastic handle). I appear to be having issues with an actuator or solenoid that is attached to the mechanism - it has a small metal rod that attaches to the solenoid and then hooks onto the mechanism.

When everything is fitted and connected as normal the boot won't close/lock, the back wiper doesn't work and the DIS says the boot is open.
If I disconnect the solenoid then the boot locks, but will only open manually from the inside, and the wiper and washer works so it appears I don't have an issue with the wiper motor.

Is it common for one of these to just pack in? Does anyone know roughly how much they are to replace?
I don't have the part number to hand I'm afraid.

I have had this problem with our A3 and I bought a new latch.
It was an easy job to replace though I had to move the hasp down as you could lift the hatch up a few mill with the hatch closed.

My problem now is that with the engine running the hatch is still showing as being open when it's not.
I assume this may be because I put some vasalene in the connection to stop further water ingress though I am not sure and will go out and remove the vasalene from the connection.
Also I noticed that the alarm diode is not flashing with the car locked.
Even though the hatch now locks.

I cleaned out the vasalene and re connected only to have the boot open symbol flashing on the display still.
So I just disconnected the latch terminal connector so now it no longer flash's

Any ideas fella's ?

Last edited: