Badger5AH Fabrications

Thread: SDS mic cable

1st Gear

Status

SDS mic cable

I have done the SDS firmware hack and now the connectors for the back of the RNS-E, have arrived today.

I understand, from an earlier thread, that I connect from pins 1 & 7 from the RNS-E "C" connector to the existing mic cable in the 17 pin plug in the passenger footwell.

I have some stereo headphone cable which is 2 core (red/black) shielded which I intend to use.

The question is do I use the red for +ve and the black for -ve and if so does the shield of the cable need to be earthed? Or do I use the shield as the negative and the red as +ve (and not use the black at all).
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffT
    Or do I use the shield as the negative and the red as +ve (and not use the black at all).
    Sounds good to me!!

4th Gear

Status
    Thisis the cable I used - only 69p/m

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=15m1#overview

Does anyone know where to get the pins for the 'C' connector?

Currently I am using the tails from a couple of Audi repair wires soldered on to the end of the mic cable but it's a bit of a bodge really and I would like to find some of the pins so I can crimp them iectly on to the mic leads coming to and from the RNS-e.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms

Does anyone know where to get the pins for the 'C' connector?

Currently I am using the tails from a couple of Audi repair wires soldered on to the end of the mic cable but it's a bit of a bodge really and I would like to find some of the pins so I can crimp them iectly on to the mic leads coming to and from the RNS-e.
    I'm using the same thing - ordered from VAG parts. Couldn't find a code for just the pins.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

6th Gear

Status
    get one of these: 000 979 009 (0.5mm repair wire) and just cut it in half, then join your long wire onto them. That's what I did.

The repair wire for the microphone connector is 000 979 018. This should give you the two connectors for the mic end.

The following may come in handy for all your repair wire needs: http://www.nsxjr.com/Audipins.html

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan
    get one of these: 000 979 009 (0.5mm repair wire) and just cut it in half, then join your long wire onto them. That's what I did.

The repair wire for the microphone connector is 000 979 018. This should give you the two connectors for the mic end.

The following may come in handy for all your repair wire needs: http://www.nsxjr.com/Audipins.html
    Thats what we are talking about - Marms & I have both got the repair wire with connectors attached, but Marms is (quite rightly!) a perfectionist and wanted to get hold of just the pins (uncrimped) so that he can crimp them directly to the cable.

4th Gear

Status
    As above.

Thanks for the link Marc but I was already aware of nsxjr excellent information. This is where I actually got the part numbers for the repair wires. There was also a guy on navplus.net who said he had some pins if anyone wanted any. I've pM'd him several times but never got a reply. I even emailed kufatec but they said they only supplied looms and not component parts.

These pins have tp be avaiable somewhere - don't they?

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry... misread your original post.

1st Gear

Status
    Just trying to connect up the mic lead for the SDS.

I'm looking for the connector (green 17 way??) in the passenger footwell where the existing mic lead runs. I've got the footwell lower trim off and now even the glovebox out, but can't see any obvious candidates.

Can someone tell me exactly where this connector is please?

1st Gear

Status
    I've had no luck finding the connector. I am beginning to think that Audi have changed the wiring harness for the later models, as I can find a cable coming down from the "A" pillar, but it continues (without a connector) all the way behind the glovebox. There is no connector block at all behind the passenger footwell trim.

I decided to have a look at the microphone itself to check the wire colours and that seems to be different as well.

I am presuming that the BT mic is the circular one with the grey lead poing to the black block in the pic below. There are 3 cables coming out of the other side of the black block - brown, green/red & purple/blue. What is the black block?

There is also a connector with green & black cable going through to a grey block attached to the trim plate - see below:

What is that part?

Does this look the same as anyone who has done the SDS mod?

6th Gear

Status
    There is also a connector with green & black cable going through to a grey block attached to the trim plate - see below:

What is that part?
    That's the BT mic! The other one is the Bose mic.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave
    That's the BT mic! The other one is the Bose mic.
    Thanks for that Dave (and for the answer on Navplus)

That's odd, I don't have Bose.

4th Gear

Status
    I always thought the other was a microwave sensor for the alarm.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms
    I always thought the other was a microwave sensor for the alarm.
    I think that would make sense, as the "black box" seems to be some sort of incline detector for the alarm, and the other mic/sensor seems to be connected to/through that.

4th Gear

Status

I just checked and, acccording to ETKA, Audi call this part a motion sensor.

1st Gear

Status
    OK, all sorted!

I pulled off the A pillar trim. This is held on by 3 clips, but they seemed to be 2-stage clips in that they came unclipped and the trim could be moved about 25mm away from the A pillar, but the clips wouldn't release completely. This is maybe what happens when the side airbag/curtain goes off? Anyway once the clips are released, I found that pulling the trim up away from the dash towards the roof released the clips. There is a cable to the tweeter, but there is enough slack on it to enable the trim to lay on the dash.

The microphone cable can be seen in the pics below.

The black wire is mic -ve and the green is +ve. I connected these to the wires I had already run to the RNS-E and it works a treat.

The SDS system transforms the Navigation part of the RNS-E from a clunky old piece of kit into a slick, easy to use, one. For the price of a bit of microphone cable, it must be the best value mod ever.

Thanks to all who have helped me on this and the RNS-E install in general, and to the guys at http://www.naviedit.de/ for the SDS hack.

Neutral

Status
    GeoffT,

Thanks for the pics and write up.The way you have done the mod seems much easier than running 2 pairs of cables.What method did you use to splice into the mic cable?

Tony

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycb6
    GeoffT,

Thanks for the pics and write up.The way you have done the mod seems much easier than running 2 pairs of cables.What method did you use to splice into the mic cable?

Tony
    I just trimmed the insulation off each cable over a length of about 5 mm to expose the conductors and soldered my new cables to them. I wrapped insulation tape round each cable connection and then some more round the whole thing. I had already routed the cable from the back of the RNS-E when I had the glovebox out yesterday. It was certainly easier to run the cable with glovebox out, but I reckon you could manage without, by just taking off the cover on the left of the glovebox.