2.0 TDi smoke on startup??

Petem95

Reaction score
I've noticed that on startup I get a bit of smoke out the exhaust on my 2.0 TDi (it has done 79k miles)

Is this to be expected? (I've not owned diesels before!)

The smoke is visible from the rear view mirror. Is this just soot being blown out the exhuast?

Only occurs on startup when the car has been standing for a while. If you switch off then restart again I dont think you get any.

Anyone else noticed this with a 2.0 TDi?!! :confused:

Is it white smoke?
My car (and the A4 before it) sometimes struggled to start, which was then accompanied by clouds of white smoke once they did start.
Haven't had it for a while though.

No the smoke is dark grey. Doesnt smell like burning oil or anything, but I was under the impression modern diesels were pretty much smoke free, other than a little puff under hard accleration? Certainly doesnt look like white-smoke suggest knackered turbo, but its still a little concerning!

Just emits a little cloud of the stuff which drifts off, then its smoke-free when running (unless under hard acceleration when it smokes a bit)

Does this sound normal?!

Petem95 said:
No the smoke is dark grey. Doesnt smell like burning oil or anything, but I was under the impression modern diesels were pretty much smoke free, other than a little puff under hard accleration?

They're nowhere near smoke free, unless they have a DPF (yours doesn't)
Even DPF equipped cars puff a bit, I followed a few.
IMO, you've got nothing to worry about.
If it starts smoking like a gypsy's van, then you need to worry.

I get it too when it's freezing outside & the engine is cold. Once it's warmed it, it's fine.

It's nothing to worry about =)

I get it too. Especially when very cold and car has been sat for a couple of days without being started. Nothing to worry about. You do drive an 'oil burner' after all!! ;)