Service indicator not going?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my car serviced about 2 months ago, and last week when i turned the ignition on it came up saying "service in 1700 miles"

I had it remapped last monday but im pretty certain it was doing it before, but i cant quite remember. Anyway i took it to the dealer today and they plugged in their diagnostic machine and said it had been erased, however, when i got in the car to drive off it was still there?

I walked back in and told them it was still displaying the message, so again they had another look at it and said that their computer says it has been erased. They suggested i book it in 'for a day or two' but im worried that if they have it for that long they will find the remap and re-flash it back to standard.

Im not sure what to do, i know if it was to be flashed by the dealer, i could go back to GIAC and they would put it back on for me, but i cant be ***** with the hassle, i think im just gonna leave it til its second service and if anything happens i can deal with it then,

any suggestions?

There will be a way of erasing the service warning without going to the dealers. It will consist of a strange combination of switch movements i.e. press brake 4 times and whilst holding depressed press throttle twice and clutch 5 times :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Does anybody know the correct switch sequences on here to reset service warning for a 2005 Audi A3.

:ohmy: :unsure:

If you are on variable servicing then only the dealer can reset it. If your on fixed distance servicing then you can reset yourself.

I think its fixed distance servicing that im on

does anyone know the combination to reset the service indicator??

It does tell you the procedure in your handbook and is fairly simple.

My car did this a couple of months ago with only 4,500 miles on the clock, Audi reset it and it now reads service in 8,600. They said it may come on again as is "subject to many variables" , it didn't. It won't be anything to do with the remap but give Steve at Statller a call to put your mind at rest, he will know more than your standard tech at Audi whose knowledge is very limited.

Had a look in the handbook and it tells you had to reset it on page 23, but i rang the dealer before i did anything, they said not to do anything and that to let them do it, as it has something to do with an oil change.

I asked the lady in service how long it would take them, she said about 30 mins, does that sound right?

My S3 is confusing the hell out of me on the servicing front too. I have posted about this before but no-one could explain it then, maybe someone can now. I have asked the dealer about it and they said they'd never seen one do the same and just to ignore it.

If I go into the check option on the DIS and select service I am presented with two options:-

1. Oil Change
2. Service

If I select oil change, it says oil change due in 7700 miles or 320 days, this is counting down day by day and mile by mile, ie it is not variable.

If I select service, it says service due in 17700miles or 1051 days, this one appears to be variable.

The handbook makes no mention of the oil change option on the DIS and the dealer said they had never seen it on any other cars, apart from the RS models that require a intermediate oil change, and that I should ignore the oil change one and just listen to the service one. Personally I reckon Audi have updated the software , and the implication is that the car is due a oil change at a fixed interval and a service whenever the car decides it is due.

I will ring Audi to see if they can shed any light on this, but going on the dealers response I'm not holding out much hope until this 'feature' becomes more widespread.

When i picked up my new S3 the salesman ran through eveything. He showed me the 2 service displays and told me the first service was a fixed 1000 mile oil change and the other variable service.

My first service was around 15,000 miles about 2 months ago, now every time i turn the ignition on it displays service due in 1600 miles 423 days.

Excuse my ignorance but why have variables? most my cars have always been fixed, i do alot of driving and cant afford to be going for a service every couple of months.

How does the dealer reset it? when i went in the other day they plugged in their diagnostic computer but that didnt reset it, so will they have to re-flash the ECU or something

At present, 19000 mls. l have this message, Service Due ! , l cant get rid of it any way l try. Any pointers, l ve tried the above and also using the reset stalk below speedo. No joy

Thought so, need to buy one. Make a call tomorrow in the meantime.