S3 - GIAC Remap Review

Kris,

I'm in london, and it seems a little far for the sake of some data logging. However, if any of you guys need to vag-com your car and dont mind dropping by central london, let me know.

Back on topic,

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14138

It seems the australians are talking about this "hammer" map as well. Post no.5 in this thread sounds interesting, coming from a APR distributor.

"uk tuning trip"? any australian members care to share if they know anything about this? Does it have anything to do with awesome-gti's rolling road day?

boggysv said:
Kris,

I'm in london, and it seems a little far for the sake of some data logging. However, if any of you guys need to vag-com your car and dont mind dropping by central london, let me know.

Back on topic,

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14138

It seems the australians are talking about this "hammer" map as well. Post no.5 in this thread sounds interesting, coming from a APR distributor.

"uk tuning trip"? any australian members care to share if they know anything about this? Does it have anything to do with awesome-gti's rolling road day?

So from reading that it seems APR can't or wont go more than 320bhp on the stock fuel pump , add to that Revo and CC.

GIAC must be either special or playing a crazy numbers game?

p

phantom said:
So from reading that it seems APR can't or wont go more than 320bhp on the stock fuel pump , add to that Revo and CC.

p

I still remain to be convinced it actually produces 330bhp as this is an approx figure, don't get me wrong the 310/320 map I have is very fast but I'm guessing thay've ramped up the fueling and boost etc to gain an additional 10bhp, Johnny B stated it wasn't a great difference between the 2 maps.

Worse case scenario car does produce 330 and the odd car incurrs Fuel pump issues which would cost around £250 to sort via auto-tech assuming £80 fitting.

Alternatively switch to the standard map I currently have (FOC) and enjoy all that torque and power.

I think we should pressure Johnny B to come along to the dyno day at Awesome and run his and mine back to back and see what we get...I am due to get mine updated and have no real concerns but the distance to Sheffield creates a barrier with such busy weekends s if I wait until after the RR day at least we can actuate the power claims.

Spin

Wheres JohnnyB from?

JohnnyB come on down , your forum needs you! Lol

I'm in no rush to map spin, so hopfully when it's my time any fears will be gone, if not i'll get the 310map!

It would be nice if we had some data sheet or RR plot to look at , so the RR day is a great chance to get some, come on JohnnyB hehehehehe!

p

Giac plot? this is the only one I've seen and it's a forum members car, CJP80.

giac_s3flash_nomods98ron.jpg

Speaking to APS today and I mentioned the GIAC 330BHP map, and Ed said that their own map is 310ish BHP, but when you add a full Milltek and filter it can get to 330BHP - I would much prefer to get to this figure down this route, on an engine that can breath properly, than on a standard engine!!!

What figures would the GIAC map produce with a Milltek and filter??????

Here's revo's plot as well.
http://revotechnik.rcrholdings.com/s3dyno.jpg

These sort of dyno plots makes me sad. 225whp on the giac and 243 on the revo????:sadlike:

*Though, this seems like quite a huge discrepancy with rri's hub dyno.
http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=735

Maybe the stock S3 wheels are just really really really heavy? This post says 22/23 kg.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43043

Roughly using 9 inches (0.223m) as the radius, it only gives a moment of inertia of roughly 1.1 to 1.2kg m sq per wheel. And not forgetting forget the S3 has 4 wheels and more components to spin up on the dyno, unlike the fwd cars.

Too lazy to tinker on, but it is indeed a hefty ******. Might consider downsizing to some nice light 17" wheels in the future.

*sorry for straying off topic, but what's the use of more power if you've got lead weight wheels?

phantom said:
Wheres JohnnyB from?

JohnnyB come on down , your forum needs you! Lol

I'm in no rush to map spin, so hopfully when it's my time any fears will be gone, if not i'll get the 310map!

It would be nice if we had some data sheet or RR plot to look at , so the RR day is a great chance to get some, come on JohnnyB hehehehehe!

p

Hello,

Im actually living in Leeds, when is the RR day?

Hi Guys,

I’ve had the 310hp for almost 6months now and in much tougher climate. (Sydney 35 – 40 degree temps)

Just going through my first summer with this car and cannot fault the GIAC upgrade. Whilst the ECU upgrade adds stress to the components it really comes down to the way you drive it.
Unless you are doing 4000+ rpm dumps and bouncing off the rev limiter at every change the components will fine. IMO wear and tear is mostly dependent on the driver and regular maintenance also plays a part.

Clutches are known to fail and sustain premature wear if they are not embedded in properly during the first 1000km – same applies to brake pads…

So there’s little need to be paranoid, the upgrade adds excellent drivability and better fuel economy also as you tend to stay in higher gears more often with the extra torque.
Its also very smooth yet with a nice punch between 4000 and 5500 just for the added grin factor – thus far no fault codes, diverter valve or O2 sensor issues (touch wood)

I contacted GIAC directly regarding the 330 upgrade – they said it was based on the latest ecu update from the Audi dealer. Once I get that done, pop into the nearest GIAC dealer and they would be able to write the specific file which is based on the new update.

Cheers
Mike

phantom said:

p

I've got 330PS with the standard map and an exhaust.....no issues in 18,000 remapped miles...

Oli.H said:
Speaking to APS today and I mentioned the GIAC 330BHP map, and Ed said that their own map is 310ish BHP, but when you add a full Milltek and filter it can get to 330BHP - I would much prefer to get to this figure down this route, on an engine that can breath properly, than on a standard engine!!!

What figures would the GIAC map produce with a Milltek and filter??????

See my comments above...

CJP80 said:
I've got 330PS with the standard map and an exhaust.....no issues in 18,000 remapped miles...

Fair play mate, i was talking about the Hammer map producing 330bhp with no other mods needed!

There seems to be no issues with any of the tunners std maps, but to get a extra 20bhp out of a car with no other mods , the boost and or fueling must be running pretty high!

p

I'd agree, the reason I opted for the exhaust was due to the fact I felt the standard one was restricting the airflow...it felt almost sluggish. The fact I got 17PS from the exhaust alone is testament to that fact.

Since getting the exhaust the car revs easier and there's is defo. not as much lag.

I'll post my 330 dyno plots post Milltek asap.

mikenbn said:
I contacted GIAC directly regarding the 330 upgrade – they said it was based on the latest ecu update from the Audi dealer. Once I get that done, pop into the nearest GIAC dealer and they would be able to write the specific file which is based on the new update.

When i had mine done they plugged in vag.com to check what software my ECU was. I had the latest software although if i hadn't they would have loaded the latest software upgrade free of charge.

They didnt check for the software when i had mine done, i got it in june 07, does that mean it already has the latest software?

The map loaded onto the car fine so i presume it must have

Found this post very interesting does anyone know where I can get my S3 8l remapped in the southeast ie KENT.
Any help would be helpfull.

mintie said:
Found this post very interesting does anyone know where I can get my S3 8l remapped in the southeast ie KENT.
Any help would be helpfull.
Regal Motorsport are the main UK distributors and are in the south, if they are too far they will be able to advise closest dealer in your area.

Its a great product and so smooth.

revomike said:
warrencox said:
That was the first time we played with your car, Its making better power than that none.....

It is!! So much I've been getting a bit of clutch slip on the coldest days. Its absolutely flying when the air is this cold and dense.

The new settings have been really successful Mike.

:icon_thumright:

Warren

clutch slip turn it down a wee bit lol...

Glad ur happy !

revomike said:
clutch slip turn it down a wee bit lol...

Glad ur happy !

It's in for 1st service on Wednesday next week so i'll get them to check all is OK with it. I'd rather they sort the rattle in the centre console and the squealing front brakes as they drive me mad constantly!

Then its off for a new set of front boots.

Apologies - off topic :shutup2:

Any updates on this remap ? Any ture figures ? Anything gone wrong ? What affect has it had on mpg ?

Many thanks

S3 has ran faultlessly on the GIAC remap from day one, mpg has dropped by no more than 1/2 mpg and on occasion has improved due to additional torque and early gear changes. I had a mad moment last week and accelarated hard uphill on a motorway slip road, by the time I joined the motorway the car was bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd at 115mph !! It is seriously quick and great fun. Wether the maps actually produce the claimed figures should remain irrelevant and the proof is in the additional performance over stock.
The Map makes the S3 such a quick car by all standards with brakes and standard chasis being perfectly up to the job IMO.

I've just sold the S3 for no reason other than I fancied a change, I doubt I will own such a fast/practical and capable car again but if I did I would go down exactly the same route again with GIAC etc.

I put the car back to standard upon PX and now have a few bits for sale..

GIAC Flashloader/switching device
A3 Genuine Audi Dog Guard (used once, immaculate)
Full set of Winter Mats (excellent condition)..
BBS 20 Spoke 18" Calitos with GSD III F1 Directional. (@ 600 miles only - as new)

PM me if interested

unless you've had a new gearbox or diff , the car wont do 115mph in 3rd.

4th maybe, but not 3rd.

S3 has ran faultlessly on the GIAC remap from day one, mpg has dropped by no more than 1/2 mpg and on occasion has improved due to additional torque and early gear changes. I had a mad moment last week and accelarated hard uphill on a motorway slip road, by the time I joined the motorway the car was bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd at 115mph !! It is seriously quick and great fun. Wether the maps actually produce the claimed figures should remain irrelevant and the proof is in the additional performance over stock.
The Map makes the S3 such a quick car by all standards with brakes and standard chasis being perfectly up to the job IMO.

I've just sold the S3 for no reason other than I fancied a change, I doubt I will own such a fast/practical and capable car again but if I did I would go down exactly the same route again with GIAC etc.

I put the car back to standard upon PX and now have a few bits for sale..

GIAC Flashloader/switching device
A3 Genuine Audi Dog Guard (used once, immaculate)
Full set of Winter Mats (excellent condition)..
BBS 20 Spoke 18" Calitos with GSD III F1 Directional. (@ 600 miles only - as new)

PM me if interested
What car have you chopped it in for mate?

TT-S would be my guess........

TT-S on order eta late 2008.

S3 Px'ed against a high specced ex demo 2.0t TT in black with 19" RS4, I did this for 2 reasons, to limit the depreciation hit/potential CTC plus to see if I could live with the reduced dimensions offered by the TT without first handing over + £10k.

First impressions are very good and the extra driver input required from a 200bhp FWD is keeping me amused, I'd forgotten what traction control lights looked like with the S3 being so capable.

My favourite thing so far is the exhaust note which is very different to the S3 and quite 'raspy'.

Noone has asked me for a cut and blow dry yet but give them time :)

I went from a TT 2.0 T to S3 and they are very diffrent to drive i think. I had a stage 2 remap and struggled hard with traction. But when you get the power down it was a very fast car.
I agree with the exhaust note. The TT has i bit more aggressive sound. Change to a Milltek and it will sound even better :sm4:

Cartén;525752 said:
I went from a TT 2.0 T to S3 and they are very diffrent to drive i think. I had a stage 2 remap and struggled hard with traction. But when you get the power down it was a very fast car.
I agree with the exhaust note. The TT has i bit more aggressive sound. Change to a Milltek and it will sound even better :sm4:

Sounds like Fun :)

Try this for now and I'll take a look for the original thread later, hopefully isolated incidents..

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/1050786.aspx

This was me, (Ive a different ID on uk-mkivs). I was running REVO Phase 1, with Fuel=9, Timing=6, Boost=7 which arent wacky settings although the boost was a little up.
The power delivery was pretty savage but great depending on your taste. I personally like the aggressive power delivery you get from REVO maps.

Anyway the clutch slipped within minutes of the remap on the first test drive which turned out to be a ruined DMF.
I genuinely believe the car was running a defective DMF and the extra torque being produced by the remap just `found out` the weakness.

After the car was fixed, I ran it for another 4K miles on the brand new DMF and clutch completely trouble free until I sold it for my S3.

At the time I did a lot of digging around and instances of remaps causing premature DMF/clutch failure on the 20T FSI cars were unheard of.

For the record VW did the lot under warranty WITH the map still installed. They didnt ask so I didnt tell them! They also ran some diagnostics and appeared to find nothing ??

So, on this, as basis if my Golf was running around 290 lbs/ft I would say the S3 with around 320 lb/ft with its much stronger drive, should be ok.

And worst comes to the worst, take to AUDI, play dumb, get it done under warranty, switch back to std and put it down to experience.

Ive been trying to hold off getting a remap and this thread isnt helping at all!
Based on the nearest GIAC agent being a 3 hr drive Im tempted by the Blufin conversion this time around as the SPS controllers are pricey expecially when you are already giving REVO £600 for the map.
Have had excellent experience with REVO though in the past, its just a little bit steep IMO.
:o.k:
Cheers
Paul

This was me, (Ive a different ID on uk-mkivs). I was running REVO Phase 1, with Fuel=9, Timing=6, Boost=7 which arent wacky settings although the boost was a little up.
The power delivery was pretty savage but great depending on your taste. I personally like the aggressive power delivery you get from REVO maps.

Anyway the clutch slipped within minutes of the remap on the first test drive which turned out to be a ruined DMF.
I genuinely believe the car was running a defective DMF and the extra torque being produced by the remap just `found out` the weakness.

After the car was fixed, I ran it for another 4K miles on the brand new DMF and clutch completely trouble free until I sold it for my S3.

At the time I did a lot of digging around and instances of remaps causing premature DMF/clutch failure on the 20T FSI cars were unheard of.

For the record VW did the lot under warranty WITH the map still installed. They didnt ask so I didnt tell them! They also ran some diagnostics and appeared to find nothing ??

So, on this, as basis if my Golf was running around 290 lbs/ft I would say the S3 with around 320 lb/ft with its much stronger drive, should be ok.

And worst comes to the worst, take to AUDI, play dumb, get it done under warranty, switch back to std and put it down to experience.

Ive been trying to hold off getting a remap and this thread isnt helping at all!
Based on the nearest GIAC agent being a 3 hr drive Im tempted by the Blufin conversion this time around as the SPS controllers are pricey expecially when you are already giving REVO £600 for the map.
Have had excellent experience with REVO though in the past, its just a little bit steep IMO.
Cheers
Paul

I opted for the Bluefin and at £450 I think it is a bargin. Power delivery is instant and can be agressive too when you get used to driving it differently to get the best out of it. Turbo lag is almost non existant and it is urging to go all the time. Launching it is far easier without so much bog down and with a little practice a fast launch can be done with very little clutch abuse and at 3000 rpm instead of 4000 rpm.

Cheers.

Does the £450 include the Handset? and can you flash between Bluefin and stock maps?

Can you play with the boost/fuel/timing settings too?

Does Bluefin affect the ECU `flash counter`or has none of the tuning guys managed that yet?

Thanks
Paul

Thanks guys.

Really like the idea if being able to switch between maps without having to visit a Superchips dealer.

I never bothered with the REVO SPS switch as once I had the REVO agent set my car how I wanted, I had no intentions on changing it anyway.

Do you have any input on how your car is set up with Bluefin? or is it a `fixed`setting generic map?

cheers
Paul

Thanks guys.

Really like the idea if being able to switch between maps without having to visit a Superchips dealer.

I never bothered with the REVO SPS switch as once I had the REVO agent set my car how I wanted, I had no intentions on changing it anyway.

Do you have any input on how your car is set up with Bluefin? or is it a `fixed`setting generic map?

cheers
Paul

The maps offered by superchips/bluefin are generic but thay have many to choose from with some offering a little more than others dependant on the customers request.

If location is convenient I would always suggest visiting their HQ in Bucks (MK18) as they will do a before and after dyno so you can actuate your gains plus you would have the option of discussing the various generic maps.

You also get a 30,000 mile or 12 month warranty underwritten by firebond that is extendable year on year for little cost.

Having said that the convenience of the plug and play offered by utilising your PC and postage is very popular.

I'm paying Jamie at superchips a visit on Friday and letting them try some new software on my car with some dyno time booked so if you have any specific questions let me know via PM.

Spin

Cheers
Paul

If you wave cash at some Revo dealers they may only take £500 from you. :detective2:
Keep an eye out for a select plus on eBay, there have been a few on recently for around £100 to £130.