S3 - GIAC Remap Review

marriedblonde said:
Don't worry they can rebuild it for you :)

You jest J' but thats the only slightly worrying thing about junior at Statller by his own admission he is fairly 'Gung Ho' with his own engines as he enjoys improving and rebuilding - he makes it sound insignificant when to 'Joe Public' it would be a massive issue and very expensive.

He maintains no risks would be taken with customers cars or GIAC's reputation - lets hope so :)

Fow do the brakes and suspension handle the power upgrades - be it 310 or 330BHP?

I will be going to Statller for my map when i'm ready , but if i was gonna get it done now i would ring up other GIAC dealers and ask if they have got the 330bhp map and get there opinion on it!

Maybe i worry too much!

p

Spin140 said:
I wasn't aware of it until I spoke with steve at Statller but yes they do and reportedly with excellent gains following the same realistic limitations, in Steve's opinion the 2.0tdi should only be mapped to circa 185bhp for guaranteed reliability. His father runs an X3 3.0D Auto with GIAC software and is apparently rapid with zero issues.
Now a diesel remap is most tempting, especially after such a good review!

well im really impressed with myn as stock, but you always want more, so ill prob go for the 330 map too.
then add a exhjaust and air filter at a later date.
im getting giddy thinking about more ponnies !

Is 330 safe to use in Summer with (hopefully!) much higher ambient temperatures?

I think these KO4 twinscroll turbos are good for 350bhp, but is the fuel pump good enough or the intercooler?

p

Im getting rather worried about this talk of encountering problems with the 330 map

All valid points but like the first remaps and earlier chips someone has to be first to use them. We can do all the researching and talking to tuners we like but if the product is new the only proven results unfortunately will come from such as ourselves over time. That said, i can't fault people from hanging back and getting forum feedback before having tuning done to their 30K ride. I will be more than happy to give honest feedback be it good, bad or indifferent to help folk make their own decision.

Personally i'm not particulary worried about it. Don't get me wrong, if the engine blew up i'd be ****** but wouldn't cry over it so to speak. I tend to weigh up things and just get on with it rarther than say selling the S3 in a few years and regretting not getting the remap done. I love the S3 stock so to unleash it's near full potential is a must for me. I bought a new motorbike in 1997 (which i still have) and kicked the idea around of getting some serious engine work done for about 5 years. Eventually i had the engine tuned and thought why the hell didn't i get this done years ago! Been round Europe on it a few times with a smile from ear to ear and to date (touch wood) it has never missed a beat. Ok, i've digressed from cars but my point is if it puts a smile on my face then i just go for it ....... lifes too short:icon_thumright:

Plus with GIAC keen to expand their european market thay won't take any chances by releasing an 'approved map with too much power, stop fretting do it.

Spin140 said:
Plus with GIAC keen to expand their european market thay won't take any chances by releasing an 'approved map with too much power, stop fretting do it.

I'm not worried about the 310bhp map that seems to be std across the board!

The 330bhp map, thats getting into the old stage 2/3 system , and i know both Revo and CC want a uprated fuel rail pump + Zorst , maybe even a larger core intercooler!

It could be that GIAC are so far ahead of the game that they don't need any other parts , in which case great, but maybe they haven't done the testing to the same exstent as the others?

Only time will tell , as spin140 says they wouldn't release a untested map , so everything should be fine!

330bhp on a std car lovely!!!!!!!

p

Thats what concerns me about the 330bhp map too. Everyone else only offers 310bhp on an otherwise standard car, why is this?

As you say it could be that GIAC are ahead of the game and the others will start offering a 330bhp map with no other mods soon.

I'll let other people be the guinea pigs for now, in my opinion its still too early to say whether even the 310bhp map causes any significant reduction in life of components, I dont think enough people have done enough mileage on this map to see if it is completely without significant risk. I'll give it another year to see what develops, but I suspect it will be fine. Hopefully by that point I'll have worked out any latent defacts/faults in my own (totally standard) car and will feel comfortable getting it remapped.

I hear all the comments, and will still go fore the 330 map, afterall the car is under warrany, and if the engine blows up, Audi will have to replace it!!!

Again, if you do get probs, put the car back to stock and wheel it into the dealers and tell them to 'Sort it'!

We do pay for the warranty, and afterall this is for piece of mind for me.

Go for it and enjoy, I will be, and can assure you that everytime i put my foot down i won't be thinking 'Will my engine blow up' i'll just be smilling:hubbahubba:

Cheers

Lee

They wouldnt cover it under warranty if they could detect that you have remapped it. What you are describing is technically fraud, but then I'm not here to debate the rights and wrongs of claiming off a warranty when the origin of the claim was caused by you changing the car to do something the manufacturer never intended.

As long as you are aware of the consequences of your actions and are happy with all the potential outcomes (both positive and negative) thats fine, Someone has got to be first to try these things, I look forward to hearing of your long term results.

And I really hope they're positive because then I'd probably get it done too.

L33TAY said:
I hear all the comments, and will still go fore the 330 map, afterall the car is under warrany, and if the engine blows up, Audi will have to replace it!!!

Again, if you do get probs, put the car back to stock and wheel it into the dealers and tell them to 'Sort it'!

We do pay for the warranty, and afterall this is for piece of mind for me.

Go for it and enjoy, I will be, and can assure you that everytime i put my foot down i won't be thinking 'Will my engine blow up' i'll just be smilling:hubbahubba:

Cheers

Lee

They won't replace the engaine if they find out that youve been " fiddling " with it mate!

I have done some ringing round today and it is a BRAND new map, Jim at Star won't put it on his web site untill he has RR'd a car with it, and it's giving 330bhp " it's a bold claim " were his words!

They have been testing it for 6 months , and no further mods/parts are needed!

Also spoken to Regal and Racetech , everybody seems happy with it, and GIAC have there own warrenty , so if a part does go ti*s up you can claim off GIAC!

You will still be able to get the 310bhp map.

Still gonna hang fire for a couple of months tho!

p

phantom said:
GIAC have there own warrenty , so if a part does go ti*s up you can claim off GIAC!

I imagine the warranty only covers the software used in the remap. It won't cover any other mechanical parts. If someone has the GIAC documentation to hand could you have a read through and let us know?

JohnS3 said:
I imagine the warranty only covers the software used in the remap. It won't cover any other mechanical parts. If someone has the GIAC documentation to hand could you have a read through and let us know?

Can't remember if it was Regal or Racetech it went like this " you get a warrenty off GIAC so if your fuel pump goes you would claim off GIAC "

Even if they did, it still would be hard to chase them for the money!

p

You might be right. This is the warranty statement on the Giac website.

"GIAC products carry a 30 day money back guarantee and a three year GIAC product replacement guarantee. The replacement guarantee covers failure of the product due to material and workmanship of the product only. It does not cover failure of the product due to misuse, faulty installation or failure of a related product. No other warranties of merchantability, of fitness for particular purpose, or affirmation of fact, expressed or implied, other than any available manufacturer’s warranties, are extended or granted by GIAC.

GIAC’s liability is limited to the original purchase price of the merchandise.

GIAC will carefully inspect each order shipped for accuracy of content and evidence of physical damage or defects prior to shipping. GIAC must be notified within five (5) working days of the receipt by the customer of any discrepancies in the content found or any missing, damaged or defective parts. The customer must report all damages related to shipping to the freight carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) within 15 days. All damages related to the shipping process are the responsibility of the freight carrier and not GIAC. In general, claims not reported to the freight carrier within 15 days will be denied by the carrier. Denied claims related to shipping are not the responsibility of GIAC.

Prices are subject to change without notice."

Hmmm. Can you actually achieve 330bhp without an upgraded fuel pump?

I had heard that the OE pump can't deliver enough fuel to consistently deliver >320bhp without running lean under full load in the higher gears.

PLUS, and particularly in this cold weather, keep an eye on the clutch for slip ;-) . The cold is good for running an aggressive map, but in summer it runs better if you dial the map back a bit.

I have only ever head really good things about GIAC, so hopefully anything they offer should be very good.

I had GIAC on my S3 last year and loved every minute of it. I was offered a chance to to try out a revised REVO map and did so...I havn't gone back since and to be honest I havn't heard from our local GIAC dealer regarding these new 330hp maps. I also had a hammer map on my S3 back then but I'm not sure what power ratings GIAC claimed on the early version...I can tell you this, you definitely need a good quality high octane fuel as well as an uprated fuel pump to run this map based on my experience. I had my car go into soft limp mode running 95 octane fuel. My GIAC dealer even pointed out that the S3 fuel pumps couldn't provide sufficient fuel to accomodate for the map and that I should consider upgrading my fuel pump with some or other pump thats available from VF engineering.

All in all, I think GIAC offer a very good product but I doubt that they are ahead technology wise. GIAC as far as I know is based in the US and the S3 is not available yet in that country for them to do 'proper' testing?They tune based on LOGS provided to them by dealers in countries that have S3s?

That said, I wait to hear from my local GIAC dealer regarding this 330hp map...with our crappy fuel and hot weather I doubt we here in SA would see those figures:crying:

Well, whatever actual bhp the 330 map really puts out i had the remap today and it has certainly woken up the S3 :icon_thumright:

Time will tell .........

Kris said:
Well, whatever actual bhp the 330 map really puts out i had the remap today and it has certainly woken up the S3 :icon_thumright:

Time will tell .........

Anymore info Kris?

Thanks

p

Kris said:

Time will tell .........

It does make the car what it should have felt like from factory. It's such a smooth car it masks its speed rather well. It was only when I passed an A3 3.2V6 (8P) on a track day that I got a sense of how quick the car is with a map on it (I'm assuming they were foot down). I foolishly went and test drove an Evo 9 before getting the S3 and it set a benchmark in my head for how quick a car can feel. I wouldn't have bought it because of the 3500 mile servicing but I was hoping an OE S3 would have felt quicker than it did.

I made the mistake of pre-ordering a car I couldn't test (ordered in Oct 06 for March 07 delivery), and although I've grown to love it quite a lot more than I thought I would it was a bold move I probably wouldn't make again. When the first ones arrived in the dealers they were running them on 95RON and they felt quite weak. Quick off the line, but lacking everywhere else. I very nearly cancelled my order and took the hit, but on reflection I'm glad I didn't as its certainly a grower.

Good to hear your cars where you want it, as it adapts it will only get better!

phantom said:
Anymore info Kris?

Been out for a good run today (another tank of fuel gone!).

So, driving normal (if there is such a thing) in urban areas the car runs smooth, changing gear at low rpm the car pulls fuss free. In short, around town it drives pretty much like a stock S3 but slightly better. Get on an open road and around 3000rpm there is a definate increased surge of power which goes right to the red line. After a while i found i had to glance at the speedo as i was carrying more speed than i thought i was. warrencox summed it up pertty well - Quote: "It's such a smooth car it masks its speed rather well". To give an idea of power i often thought the car was in a lower gear than what it was, not that the engine was any louder but the torque was there and the car felt ready to go. I nearly got caught out last night when i was running out of road and realised i was was doing far in excess of what i thought. To answer Oli.H's question i managed to get the ABS working at a speed lets just say quite high, the brakes just scrubbed off the speed and the car remained totally poised. Same with bends, when flooring the car going into a bend and coming out just touching the red line the ESP never came on and the car took the bend with relative ease. On full acceleration the red line comes round pretty quick so rapid gear changes are in order, it would be easy to hit the rev limiter if not paying attention! The exhaust note may be marginally deeper but what is noticeable is the distinctive increase in the turbo whooosh! The reliabilty question is still there but (touch wood) if there are no problems i will be more than happy with this remap.

With regard to Steve he gave a great service, answered any questions, talked me through the process and made a brew as and when required. While waitng i talked to a couple of his customers with Porsche's who now use Steve as nothing is too much trouble for him and everything is too much trouble for the main dealer.

Kris said:
Been out for a good run today (another tank of fuel gone!).

So, driving normal (if there is such a thing) in urban areas the car runs smooth, changing gear at low rpm the car pulls fuss free. In short, around town it drives pretty much like a stock S3 but slightly better. Get on an open road and around 3000rpm there is a definate increased surge of power which goes right to the red line. After a while i found i had to glance at the speedo as i was carrying more speed than i thought i was. warrencox summed it up pertty well - Quote: "It's such a smooth car it masks its speed rather well". To give an idea of power i often thought the car was in a lower gear than what it was, not that the engine was any louder but the torque was there and the car felt ready to go. I nearly got caught out last night when i was running out of road and realised i was was doing far in excess of what i thought. To answer Oli.H's question i managed to get the ABS working at a speed lets just say quite high, the brakes just scrubbed off the speed and the car remained totally poised. Same with bends, when flooring the car going into a bend and coming out just touching the red line the ESP never came on and the car took the bend with relative ease. On full acceleration the red line comes round pretty quick so rapid gear changes are in order, it would be easy to hit the rev limiter if not paying attention! The exhaust note may be marginally deeper but what is noticeable is the distinctive increase in the turbo whooosh! The reliabilty question is still there but (touch wood) if there are no problems i will be more than happy with this remap.

With regard to Steve he gave a great service, answered any questions, talked me through the process and made a brew as and when required. While waitng i talked to a couple of his customers with Porsche's who now use Steve as nothing is too much trouble for him and everything is too much trouble for the main dealer.

good write up Kris, did you get the 330bhp map? Steve put it on for me a few weeks ago, but after all the posts about needing other mods (fuel pump, intercooler etc) im getting rather worried about the reliability.

My exhaust note is definately boomier and the turbo is louder, the car feels fantastic, although i had to top it up with oil today, am i right in thinking the car will use up more oil with this map?

Anyway im gonna go see Steve tomorrow and have a chat with him about it, i may even revert back to the 310 map if im gonna need other mods

Johnnyb said:
good write up Kris, did you get the 330bhp map? Steve put it on for me a few weeks ago, but after all the posts about needing other mods (fuel pump, intercooler etc) im getting rather worried about the reliability.

My exhaust note is definately boomier and the turbo is louder, the car feels fantastic, although i had to top it up with oil today, am i right in thinking the car will use up more oil with this map?

Anyway im gonna go see Steve tomorrow and have a chat with him about it, i may even revert back to the 310 map if im gonna need other mods

Yes i had the 330bhp map. I wouldn't have thought the the remap would make the engine use any more oil. The question of running in comes up quite often on here and my view is it's critical to get the piston rings bedded into the barrels in the first hundred miles to acheive a good seal. A common cause of oil useage is blow by i.e. poor piston seal allowing oil into the combustion chamber. The increased power may highlight a problem but i wouldn't have thought caused it. Don't be too worried over what i have wrote, just monitor the oil useage and enjoy your S3.

If your worried about the 330 map then you may want to go back to 310 if nothing else but piece of mind. Looks like i may be No1 test pilot, not a great title with you guys waiting to see if my engine spits it's guts out ;). Anway, i'm monitoring engine temperature and listning for pinking or any other sounds that shouldn't be there. As previously said i'll give honest feedback over time on the remap.

Spin140 said:
I still believe SuperChips are an excellent company and am more than happy with the bluefin application on the wifes 2.0tdi DSG but on this occasion they didn't offer me as a regular customer enough of an incentive to prevent me from looking at what else is on offer from their competitors.
If you don't mind me asking, when you mention they didnt offer you enough of an incentive (as a regular customer) to prevent you looking elsewhere, what was it you were expecting; ie what would have been sufficient an incentive for you not to even look at what else was on offer from the competition?

Kris,

Do you have vag-com?
Boost, fuel trim, and timing ****** logs would tell a more detailed story of the tune. I dont doubt your ear, but some empirical data would be nice.

boggysv said:
Kris,

Do you have vag-com?
Boost, fuel trim, and timing ****** logs would tell a more detailed story of the tune. I dont doubt your ear, but some empirical data would be nice.

I don't have vag-com but if anyone localish has it i've no problem them plugging in and posting the data.

Johnnyb said:

How did you get on Johnnyb?

Did Steve put your mind at rest or did you go back to the 310bhp map?

Thanks

p

mister.c. said:
If you don't mind me asking, when you mention they didnt offer you enough of an incentive (as a regular customer) to prevent you looking elsewhere, what was it you were expecting; ie what would have been sufficient an incentive for you not to even look at what else was on offer from the competition?

I have enjoyed an excellent relationship to date with the Guys at Superchips with the majority of my contact being with Jamie Turvey the Tech Director as he answered many of my queries in the early days. I was offered 15% which is exactly what Joe Public can get by merely asking, I would have liked a little more as a regular customer (in the last 2 years I have paid money over on 3 occasions due to the frequency of car change) but to be fair I had already read great things about GIAC so the interest was already there.

With all the 'scarey' comments made about the 330 map and possible issues it would be really good to get one on the Rollers and actuate what the map actually gives, I'd be surpised if it was as much as 330bhp - the comments I had were "..could be 330bhp...". I think 320 is more realistic, 310/320 either way really quick and very smooth.

Anyone with VAG-Com is welcome to take a look at my car although I still have the 'lower' powered map at present, based in the Midlands.

Spin

phantom said:
How did you get on Johnnyb?

Did Steve put your mind at rest or did you go back to the 310bhp map?

Thanks

p

Yeah i rang him yesterday, and he definately put my mind at ease, there was too much said by him for me to remember, but i have decided to keep the map on.

In short he said all the components on the S3 are uprated and robust enough to handle that kind of power, any fuel issues would be noticed by now in high revs, and the intercooler on the S3 is big enough for the said power too.

He said if it was him, he would have the map on his car with no worries, and true to his nature also offered to switch me back to the 310 map, but due to his knowledge and experience i trust him enough to keep the map on.

I do alot of miles in the car but dont thrash it around all the time, so hopefully i should be fine

Feel free to ask any other questions

Has anyone else been getting any clutch slip since its been cold? Mine goes in for a service next week and I'm going to have to get them to look at it.

None for me either, a couple of Guys over on UKmkivs have had issues with their 2.0T GTi's and slippage with minor parts being replaced under warranty, may be worth taking a look in the Mk5 section.

Spin

Got any links handy? "clutch slip gti" brings up almost 15000 hits!